Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

British Airways to suspend LHR-BKK

British Airways will suspend their London Heathrow to Bangkok service during the summer 2021 season.

They will also axe a number of other routes some will be more permanent than just S21.

BBC News - BA drops 15 long-haul routes including Seoul and Seychelles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55348474

8 hours ago, martini9946 said:

Not looking promising for an early return in  2021  may be Christmas 2021 but who knows 

Not at all. I was hoping on Xmas 2021 but even that will be 50/50.

13 minutes ago, BB666 said:

Just been contacted by BA to say they have cancelled my flight to Bangkok in late March 2021.

Gutted.

Had you made any other plans like the COE, insurance and visa?

I think by March we will have Visa Exempt, but am guessing a Covid Test, COE, Quarantine etc  will still be required. 

BA  say they refund cancelled flights so maybe you can still do something. 

39 minutes ago, BB666 said:

Just been contacted by BA to say they have cancelled my flight to Bangkok in late March 2021.

Gutted.

According to British Airways "Terms and Conditions" you are entitled to a full refund as you are now a victim of them cancelling a flight.

10b) Involuntary fare refunds

10b1) We will pay fare refunds as set out below if we:

• cancel a flight
  • make a significant change to a flight time which is not acceptable to you
  • delay a flight by five hours or more
  • fail to stop at your place of destination or stopover
  • cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you held a confirmed reservation or
  • refuse to carry you because a banning notice is in force against you or for some other reason pursuant to these conditions where reference is made to this clause.

10b2) If you have not used any part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the fare and any carrier imposed charges and surcharges, and taxes, fees and charges you have paid.

10b3) If you have used part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to at least the difference between the fare and any carrier imposed charges and surcharge and taxes, fees and charges you have paid and the correct fare and carrier imposed charges and surcharges, and taxes, fees and charges for travel between the points for which you have used your ticket.

I quoted "Terms and Conditions" to Qatar Airways after they cancelled my flights earlier this year and received a full refund within 2 weeks despite my fare being of the non-refundable type.

1 hour ago, TheFiend said:

According to British Airways "Terms and Conditions" you are entitled to a full refund as you are now a victim of them cancelling a flight.

I quoted "Terms and Conditions" to Qatar Airways after they cancelled my flights earlier this year and received a full refund within 2 weeks despite my fare being of the non-refundable type.

My experience with cancelled flights and flight time changes over 4 hours, I get offered a full refund even with a non refundable ticket.

5 hours ago, jacko said:

Had you made any other plans like the COE, insurance and visa?

I think by March we will have Visa Exempt, but am guessing a Covid Test, COE, Quarantine etc  will still be required. 

BA  say they refund cancelled flights so maybe you can still do something. 

I hope your right but i wouldn't hold my breath i have booked for 1st march with Qatar airways from Manchester luckily i have a flexible ticket valid for two years so will just keep changing until i can travel . just checked on the u.k site when will i get the covid vaccine calculator and it says i should get it in April 2021 so hopefully they will let people travel who has been vaccinated.so hopefully will travel for my birthday in July but like everyone else will have to wait and see  

7 hours ago, TheFiend said:

I had the same Qatar ticket, and received my refund within 48 hours!!! I was well impressed!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, BB666 said:

Gutted.

Last I heard they'd cancelled all Bangkok flights until October 2021.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Brown1950 said:

BA are now accepting bookings for LHR-BKK direct from 31st Oct 21  using 787-9 Dreamliner.

And with all the problems Boeing have been having? would you be happy travelling on a Dreamliner? I'd go on an older 777 but not a Dreamliner. or the new 777X

Then again knowing BA they'll probably do their usual of cancelling BKK flights. In the last 10 years theyve done it to me 3 times. Twice got an easy refund but the third had to issue County Court action and they paid up PDQ

12 hours ago, Shitcreek said:

And with all the problems Boeing have been having? would you be happy travelling on a Dreamliner? I'd go on an older 777 but not a Dreamliner. or the new 777X

Then again knowing BA they'll probably do their usual of cancelling BKK flights. In the last 10 years theyve done it to me 3 times. Twice got an easy refund but the third had to issue County Court action and they paid up PDQ

What's the problem with the Dreamliner?

12 hours ago, Shitcreek said:

What the bastards have done to me twice at LHR is change the aircraft type. I had paid 30 quid or whatever to pre book my aisle seat selection online. Each time I ended up in a middle seat and was unable to get my money back there and then. The refund procedure was just about impossible with my travel plans but the worst thing was the flight "experience" ... Haven't used them in years for many reasons.

6 hours ago, Shooter said:

What's the problem with the Dreamliner?

My goodness, you really don't value your life? Right now most of us wouldn't get on that plane if they gave free tickets, installed a bar and had unlimited free massages.

52 minutes ago, tieguy said:

My goodness, you really don't value your life? Right now most of us wouldn't get on that plane if they gave free tickets, installed a bar and had unlimited free massages.

Who is most of us? I think quite s few guys would take up the offer you mentioned, particularly if it also bypassed quarantine requirements.

The recent engine loss was on a 777-200. So also puzzled by concerns relating to a Dreamliner.

54 minutes ago, jacko said:

Who is most of us? I think quite s few guys would take up the offer you mentioned, particularly if it also bypassed quarantine requirements.

The recent engine loss was on a 777-200. So also puzzled by concerns relating to a Dreamliner.

My guess was the reference to the Dreamliner was driven by the battery problems just after it's introduction. The economy layout was also reported to be cramped.

Personally, the few flights I had on the Dreamliner were in business, so no problems comfort wise.

When you get down to it, they are all just big buses with wings.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jacko said:

The Dreamliner has had a lot of problems since startup. One related to the unqualified workers who now build it and the others to Batteries. Boeing solution to the exploding battery problem was simply to build the box around them with thicker material to confine the explosion and fire. The other MOST serious problem (for me) is the FAA allowing Boeing to 'Self Certify' their own build quality. The Al Jazeera documentary on this and other matters recealed even more problems.

3 hours ago, tallguy said:

Personally, the few flights I had on the Dreamliner were in business, so no problems comfort wise.

I did Qatar in Biz on Dreamliners, very good flights. 

5 hours ago, tieguy said:

This discussion had  nothing to do with the Dreamliner.   It was the 777 and P&W engines specifically.  The Dreamliner doesn't use the same engine. 

While I am no fan of seeing the plane I'm on with an engine on fire what it proved was the 777 was a well built jet.  It retained complete control and landed safely on the single good engine.  What happened to that engine IS something we need to uncover. 

And I looked at the reports on the Dreamliner above.  Yes.  They have uncovered issues in the jet and resolved them.  One can do research on most big jets and find problems. 

AIrbus 380 has engine blow up.

Airbus wing cracks

So yeah I get it I would not board a 777 with P&W engines today.  But a Dreamliner no problem.  Especially if free business class tickets and massages.  ?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jacko said:

I did Qatar in Biz on Dreamliners, very good flights. 

I really wanted to try the Dreamliner with JAL.  Then I looked at their seat layout in business class.  Instead of the usual 1-2-1 seating it is 2-2-2.  What were they thinking?

For at least the rest of this year I think “red countries” are going to be a real problem....... a transit country status could easily change between booking the flight and returning...... so we’re going to need as many direct flights as possible 

2 hours ago, Shooter said:

This discussion had  nothing to do with the Dreamliner.   It was the 777 and P&W engines specifically.  The Dreamliner doesn't use the same engine. 

While I am no fan of seeing the plane I'm on with an engine on fire what it proved was the 777 was a well built jet.  It retained complete control and landed safely on the single good engine.  What happened to that engine IS something we need to uncover. 

And I looked at the reports on the Dreamliner above.  Yes.  They have uncovered issues in the jet and resolved them.  One can do research on most big jets and find problems. 

AIrbus 380 has engine blow up.

Airbus wing cracks

So yeah I get it I would not board a 777 with P&W engines today.  But a Dreamliner no problem.  Especially if free business class tickets and massages.  ?

A 747 had problems after taking off from Mastricht,one of its engines was dropping bits over a small town,it landed safely in Belgium.My first trip will probably be to the UK when this is over and I will take the train from Amsterdam to London.I am definitely concerned about flying on a plane that may have been parked up for the best part of two years by the time we can all fly again.

39 minutes ago, yselmike said:

A 747 had problems after taking off from Mastricht,one of its engines was dropping bits over a small town,it landed safely in Belgium.My first trip will probably be to the UK when this is over and I will take the train from Amsterdam to London.I am definitely concerned about flying on a plane that may have been parked up for the best part of two years by the time we can all fly again.

Interesting thought.  What happens to a jet that sits unflown for a few years?  I dn't know. 

I think every major jet production run has examples of problems.  What isn't common is the kind of problems the 737MAX had.  That was fucked up design and training. 

In the end it's either be a fatalist and fly or stay home.  I won't fly on Russian jets but Boeing and Airbus both work for me.

5 hours ago, Shooter said:

Interesting thought.  What happens to a jet that sits unflown for a few years?  I dn't know. 

I read something about this a while back.

Apparently preparing these beasts to return to service is no easy task. The list of things to do included removing insect infestations in addition to all the techie stuff.

• Like 1