Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

British Airways to suspend LHR-BKK

13 hours ago, yselmike said:

My first trip will probably be to the UK when this is over and I will take the train from Amsterdam to London

I'm curious, is there an advantage to that route, or are u adding the train to the journey for personal reasons?

On 2/23/2021 at 1:18 AM, Shooter said:

What's the problem with the Dreamliner?

Recently problems were discovered with the production of them... The 787  still lives up to it's "Nightmareliner" nickname.

https://www.reuters.com/article/boeing-deliveries/boeing-finds-new-787-dreamliner-production-problem-idINKBN25Z2R6

Perhaps Boeing have been lucky that due to COVID demand for deliveries has dropped off, but already some customers are re-examining their orders due to Boeing problems and the delays.

5 hours ago, tieguy said:

I'm curious, is there an advantage to that route, or are u adding the train to the journey for personal reasons?

There is a direct service between Amsterdam and London both ways now.(Not really sure if any trains are running at the moment.) I can get down to Kent from St Pancras or it's a short walk down to Euston for north Wales.I shall be cautious untill this Covid is under control if it ever is.Normally I fly easyJet to Manchester then get the train from the Airport down to flint. Getting a bus to my local train station,then get on a packed train to Schiphol,drop off baggage,get through security and passport control,wait in the departure area till i know what gate to go to,get crammed into the small space after having my ticket and passport checked,get on a packed flight,into a packed arrivals and walk for a couple of Km with hundreds off people to passport control and luggage pick up,then into a packed airport,get on another packed train to flint.ADVICE IS NOT NEEDED thanks.My mum is 97 and is now bed bound so I don't think I will get to see her again but that's the only thing that will get me to travel this year.I shall save my pennies this year and hopefully have a blow out in Thailand next Jan/Feb.

5 hours ago, TheFiend said:

Recently problems were discovered with the production of them... The 787  still lives up to it's "Nightmareliner" nickname.

https://www.reuters.com/article/boeing-deliveries/boeing-finds-new-787-dreamliner-production-problem-idINKBN25Z2R6

Perhaps Boeing have been lucky that due to COVID demand for deliveries has dropped off, but already some customers are re-examining their orders due to Boeing problems and the delays.

That is a problem for Boeing.  But I don't see it as a problem for the flying public.  In fact I really want to fly one as it is supposed to be really smooth, quiet and better air quality. 

So far for me the best jet to fly is the 380.  Smooth and quiet.  At least in the upper deck in business class. 

13 minutes ago, Shooter said:

That is a problem for Boeing.  But I don't see it as a problem for the flying public.  In fact I really want to fly one as it is supposed to be really smooth, quiet and better air quality. 

So far for me the best jet to fly is the 380.  Smooth and quiet.  At least in the upper deck in business class. 

After the MAX problems the 787 was supposed to be the one that kept the cash rolling in.... instead production numbers have been cut and no deliveries are happening because of the problems.... The 777X is also being delayed. At the moment things aren't looking too good for Boeing.

I have flown on the Nightmareliner quite a few times and to tell the truth I am not impressed by it.

11 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

After the MAX problems the 787 was supposed to be the one that kept the cash rolling in.... instead production numbers have been cut and no deliveries are happening because of the problems.... The 777X is also being delayed. At the moment things aren't looking too good for Boeing.

I have flown on the Nightmareliner quite a few times and to tell the truth I am not impressed by it.

I guess it's just two different things.  One member said he would not fly on a 787 as if it is an unsafe platform.  I don't see that.

I agree it is trouble for Boeing as they are having production problems.  But I'd fly on one.  I pretty much will fly any Boeing or Airbus product excepting a 737 MAX which of course are grounded anyway.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I guess it's just two different things.  One member said he would not fly on a 787 as if it is an unsafe platform.  I don't see that.

I agree it is trouble for Boeing as they are having production problems.  But I'd fly on one.  I pretty much will fly any Boeing or Airbus product excepting a 737 MAX which of course are grounded anyway.

Did you read that article I linked to.....

A person briefed on the matter said the horizontal stabilizer issue could require the inspection of as many as about 900 airplanes.

Boeing said the stabilizer issue, identified at a production plant in Salt Lake City, Utah, was being corrected on airplanes not yet delivered and was not an immediate flight safety issue.

“Analysis is underway to determine if action is required on the in-service fleet,” Boeing added.

900 airplanes with a possible issue on the horizontal stabilizer.... perhaps some might see it as not being an immediate safety issue but what happens if one fails in flight???

32 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

Did you read that article I linked to.....

900 airplanes with a possible issue on the horizontal stabilizer.... perhaps some might see it as not being an immediate safety issue but what happens if one fails in flight???

The article is 5 months old.  ?  What is the point?  Do you feel the Dreamliner is unsafe?  Were any grounded for this?  I'm not clear on the issue,  It's OK if you weren't impressed which might be how that airline kitted out the interior.  And it is OK to point out Boeing has problems impacting it's bottom line and public confidence.  But why would that prevent someone from flying in one? 

With all the perfectly good planes in storage in various deserts why would any airline be buying new planes?

I think both Boeing and Airbus have some very lean years ahead of them. 

Only thing that matters on aircraft is the seat pitch. People claim the A380 is big and spacious but if you have a seat pitch of 32" in economy and 34" on a A330 or a 787 then the 34" seat pitch wins every time for me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, awesum4 said:

With all the perfectly good planes in storage in various deserts why would any airline be buying new planes?

I think both Boeing and Airbus have some very lean years ahead of them. 

Well and the reduction in routes and traffic too.  I'd not invest in either right now.

9 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Only thing that matters on aircraft is the seat pitch. People claim the A380 is big and spacious but if you have a seat pitch of 32" in economy and 34" on a A330 or a 787 then the 34" seat pitch wins every time for me

Yeah.  There are two factors.  The platform and how they kit it.  The 380 to me is great simply because it is smoother and quieter than any other jet I have flown.  Of course if they put bad seats in it matters little.  For me it's seat pitch, and 1-2-1 across so I don't have to climb over anyone or be climbed over.  Als I have felt different quality in the seats of similar size.  It's all in how the airpline spend on the seating.

On the 787 it is also supposed to be smoother and quieter in the air like the 380. 

8 hours ago, Shooter said:

It's all in how the airpline spend on the seating.

Too right, hate when my bony ass starts to ache and we are only 2-3 hours into the 11.......

13 hours ago, jacko said:

Too right, hate when my bony ass starts to ache and we are only 2-3 hours into the 11.......

I've been flying business so long and still some of their seats are hard on me.  Lucky for me ambien and alcohol mix well on long haul flights and I don't remember much.  ?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Shooter said:

I've been flying business so long and still some of their seats are hard on me.  Lucky for me ambien and alcohol mix well on long haul flights and I don't remember much.  ?

Ambien is a miracle.  I typically depart LAX, let them feed me, glass (or two) of red wine and sleep for a few hours.  Wake up for the next meal, red wine & Ambien.  Sleep again.  Time passes more quickly, discomfort minimized (I fly the cheap seats).

Most important, sleeping helps the resetting of the body clock upon arrival.  Typically take an Ambien the first night or two to help sleep through the night.  After 2-3 days I feel halfway normal.  Used to take me a week or more to readjust.

Edited by BigusDicus
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

Ambien is a miracle.  I typically depart LAX, let them feed me, glass (or two) of red wine and sleep for a few hours.  Wake up for the next meal, red wine & Ambien.  Sleep again.  Time passes more quickly, discomfort minimized (I fly the cheap seats).

Most important, sleeping helps the resetting of the body clock upon arrival.  Typically take an Ambien the first night or two to help sleep through the night.  After 2-3 days I feel halfway normal.  Used to take me a week or more to readjust.

Me the same.  Warning though.  It is easy to start taking them regularly because the sleep is SOOOOOOO good.  But not healthy.  I was taking one a night for almost a year and the doc said no way man.  I stopped and he was surprised.  I think he expected me to need to see someone to drop an addiction. 

Now I'll do as you do.  Leave LAX at midnight.  Have dinner on the jet and barely be awake naturally cause I'm an old git usually asleep by 10 anyway.  By then it's 2 AM my time and I take the ambien.  Sometimes I awake as we are arriving in taipei or ICN.  Couple more nights to acclimate also.  But I think getting out and playing golf that first day and getting sunshine really helps a lot too.

• Upvote 1
On 2/24/2021 at 2:59 PM, Shooter said:

The article is 5 months old.  ?  What is the point?  Do you feel the Dreamliner is unsafe?  Were any grounded for this?  I'm not clear on the issue,  It's OK if you weren't impressed which might be how that airline kitted out the interior.  And it is OK to point out Boeing has problems impacting it's bottom line and public confidence.  But why would that prevent someone from flying in one? 

OK, how about a much more recent article on the 787 problems...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-787-exclusive/exclusive-boeing-faces-faa-fine-and-a-much-bigger-787-repair-bill-sources-idUSKBN2AP2SL?il=0&source=content_type%3Areact|first_level_url%3Anews|section%3Amain_content|button%3Abody_link

22 hours ago, TheFiend said:

It doesn't appear that we are discussing the same issue.  No one said Boeing isn't having problems.  Financial and otherwise.  My point originally and really all I was trying make was that it isn't an unsafe platform.  I will be happy to fly on a 787 if it has the right seats, route and price.  If you don't feel safe just say so.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:16 PM, Shooter said:

It doesn't appear that we are discussing the same issue.  No one said Boeing isn't having problems.  Financial and otherwise.  My point originally and really all I was trying make was that it isn't an unsafe platform.  I will be happy to fly on a 787 if it has the right seats, route and price.  If you don't feel safe just say so.

FB_IMG_1614408133977.jpg

• Haha 4

Sounds like this as gone way off topic from the original post. Which was about British Airways cancelling their LHR-BKK route.

• Upvote 1