Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Used Motorbikes - Pattaya

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. Does anyone know of a reliable used motorbike shop here in Pattaya?  I'll be here for 6-12 months and I prefer to buy a used bike rather than renting. Also, does anyone know what documentation I need to purchase a bike and get insurance here?  I have a fixed address (my brother in law) and an international driver's permit (issued against my Australian driving licence). Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. Does anyone know of a reliable used motorbike shop here in Pattaya?  I'll be here for 6-12 months and I prefer to buy a used bike rather than renting. Also, does anyone know what documentation I need to purchase a bike and get insurance here?  I have a fixed address (my brother in law) and an international driver's permit (issued against my Australian driving licence). Thanks!

Don't know of any used motorbike shops here. Suggest checking the bike rental shops if they would be interested in selling you one of their rentals. Given the lack of customers now I would think they would be a motivated seller. They could also help you with the paperwork needed to register and insure the bike.

A word of caution on the IDP. To stay legal, and also keep your insurance valid there are limits on the how long you can use the IDP in Thailand.

The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required. 

source: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

There was a shop on the corner of Soi Buakaow and Pattaya Thai that had a lot of 2nd hand bikes. Tied in with a new sales outlet I think.

Also in Third road  over Pattaya Klang on the left side heading south about 200 yards. Next to a moto taxi stand. It had a lot of 2nd hand bikes. 

Perhaps also try a post on some boards, 247 thailand, Pattaya addicts etc

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Don't know of any used motorbike shops here. Suggest checking the bike rental shops if they would be interested in selling you one of their rentals. Given the lack of customers now I would think they would be a motivated seller. They could also help you with the paperwork needed to register and insure the bike.

A word of caution on the IDP. To stay legal, and also keep your insurance valid there are limits on the how long you can use the IDP in Thailand.

The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required. 

source: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.  As I'm on a type O I have 3 months to pass my test then.  Have only been out of quarantine 3 days and had a near miss, a little Thai boy ran out in front of me on Lengkee so I had to swerve - only just missed him.  Made me realise that I need to be legal and insured when riding here, I would have been in a world of trouble if I had connected with that kid with no insurance.

30 minutes ago, biggles said:

There was a shop on the corner of Soi Buakaow and Pattaya Thai that had a lot of 2nd hand bikes. Tied in with a new sales outlet I think.

Also in Third road  over Pattaya Klang on the left side heading south about 200 yards. Next to a moto taxi stand. It had a lot of 2nd hand bikes. 

Perhaps also try a post on some boards, 247 thailand, Pattaya addicts etc

Thanks for the advice biggles, much appreciated

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 5:08 AM, Paulie said:

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.  As I'm on a type O I have 3 months to pass my test then.  Have only been out of quarantine 3 days and had a near miss, a little Thai boy ran out in front of me on Lengkee so I had to swerve - only just missed him.  Made me realise that I need to be legal and insured when riding here, I would have been in a world of trouble if I had connected with that kid with no insurance.

If you have a bike on your IDP then you dont need a test as they will just give you a licence when you go to the licence place with all the crap you need as well as the fee. I did it years ago and it took half the morning and I got both my bike and car licence with no hassle at all.