Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I live in Pratumnak and there is Moto taxi stand nearby. Before all this shit I stopped using them because they are just ripping people off I’d rather walk up the hill and get one of the guys up there.

This lot I say lot because at any time there was easily 7 or 8 at a time working,

Anyway now their numbers have dwindled and obviously the customers are few and far between. 

I just saw 3 potential customers walk by and ask how much for down town 100 baht each madam. The people just walked off. I just don’t get it they would rather sit and do nothing than earn something for literally 15 minutes work.

I got no sympathy for them.

The guys in Pattaya are far more obliging don’t need to ask them it’s 60 baht return to here.

Btw BOLT from here is 50 baht approx for up to 4 people work that one out.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Broughton said:

I just saw 3 potential customers walk by and ask how much for down town 100 baht each madam. The people just walked off. I just don’t get it they would rather sit and do nothing than earn something for literally 15 minutes work.

Same with them in Phuket except more baht needed. They obviously set the price amongst themselves and perhaps breaking ranks is fraught with danger.

9 minutes ago, jacko said:

breaking ranks is fraught with danger.

For sure normally it would have to be a committee decision if they dropped the price to 80 baht but now times are different and surely they can see that. Everyone is cutting their cloth to suit so why aren’t they. Just bloody stupid.

I used to leave Central Festival with grocery bags. Didn't want to deal with hauling them on and off the BB. I would ask the taxi guys, 300 baht. No thanks , then the price would go 250, 220, 200. By this time i was fk it and climbing on the Baht Bus. Now with the tourist gone its 200 anywhere in the city to Wong Amat.

6 minutes ago, Broughton said:

For sure normally it would have to be a committee decision if they dropped the price to 80 baht but now times are different and surely they can see that. Everyone is cutting their cloth to suit so why aren’t they. Just bloody stupid.

It seems to be a Thai way to hold out for a price .... they will leave a property unsold and empty for years.

4 hours ago, jomtienguy said:

They work in the queue system so it's just not worth it to them for less than 100 unless the supply would be higher. Of course they would make exceptions but it's mind over matter -- They don't mind and you don't matter. 

But a Bolt driver who might turn up in a newish Fortuner will do the journey for 60 baht.?

5 hours ago, jomtienguy said:

They work in the queue system so it's just not worth it to them for less than 100 unless the supply would be higher. Of course they would make exceptions but it's mind over matter -- They don't mind and you don't matter. 

I don't know what the impact would be, but a cheaper price and a few more takers would improve demand. When the price has reached the level of deterrent it is too high. Probably over-supply too.... anyone living there able to comment on that. 

3 hours ago, jacko said:

I don't know what the impact would be, but a cheaper price and a few more takers would improve demand. When the price has reached the level of deterrent it is too high. Probably over-supply too.... anyone living there able to comment on that. 

I think the number of moto taxis around has reduced in a lot of places. At the entrance to my condo pre Covid there used to be about 10-12 drivers hanging around now there may be 2-3. I don't know if they have some sort of Rota system or if it is the same drivers all the time.

I also read that some 500 baht buses and meter taxis had been taken off the road. The remaining 300ish seems more than adequate to meet the current demand.

5 hours ago, jacko said:

anyone living there able to comment on that. 

Absolutely living here they did a good job of deterring me from using them pre-covid. I just either went up the hill or out the back way to another Soi to pick a bike up. Obviously now I will just order a Bolt car for 50 baht. Incidentally you could order a bike on Bolt for 40 baht for same journey. 
Basically they had the luxury before of not bothering because there was enough tourists around to keep em going.

1 hour ago, tallguy said:

don't know if they have some sort of Rota system or if it is the same drivers all the time

Near me some of them more or less live on the job the ones that don’t look to be the ones who’ve disappeared. One actual sleeps in his old banger he uses as a taxi sometimes, you couldn’t make it up when you see people getting in it.

But a Bolt driver who might turn up in a newish Fortuner will do the journey for 60 baht.
They are just too cheap ..I always round the Bolt fare up to what I would have paid a motorbike taxi ..

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, gus in cebu said:

They are just too cheap ..I always round the Bolt fare up to what I would have paid a motorbike taxi ..

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

I generally tip the same for a 60 baht trip into town I give 100. Still half the price of a normal meter taxi.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, tallguy said:

I generally tip the same for a 60 baht trip into town I give 100. Still half the price of a normal meter taxi.

Now is not the time but I still expect them to bump their prices. Bolt did here, and although Uber is no longer here, I know what was a good thing in the UK went away there.... I was sat on the train from the airport, using Uber trying to get a ride from the station and the App would not let me. I had always paid cash previously and now it had to have a Paypal account. Another level of commission.....

Edited by jacko