Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pratumnak - Condo Projects (<2015) - Decent Size/Price Ratio?

Hi guys, 

Looking to rent in Pratumnak for my next 1 year trip. I need +40 sqm and I find projects built before ~ 2015 (built before the China-rush) offer a decent price/size ratio. 

I'm, however, a bit overwhelmed with the amount of condos out there - so I want to hear what projects you like. 

What are some of your recommendations? :) 

I did a similar thread the last year, with the opposite objective: only new condos. I couple of boardmembers advice me to go for the older projects as these are better in size. I should've listened - you were correct. :) 

9 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Hi guys, 

Looking to rent in Pratumnak for my next 1 year trip. I need +40 sqm and I find projects built before ~ 2015 (built before the China-rush) offer a decent price/size ratio. 

I'm, however, a bit overwhelmed with the amount of condos out there - so I want to hear what projects you like. 

What are some of your recommendations? ?

I did a similar thread the last year, with the opposite objective: only new condos. I couple of boardmembers advice me to go for the older projects as these are better in size. I should've listened - you were correct. ?

There are some good deals to be had at the moment. I know if two guys who have recently moved into condos in The Cliff in the Cosy Beach area. One moved into a 48sqm one bedroom condo for 11k baht per month. Another is renting a 100sqm 2 bedroom unit for 17k per month. These prices are around 1/2 pre covid levels and I don't think they had to do a lot of haggling.

There is another place near The Cliff called The Clubhouse. This is a midrise building. The one beds are 60sqm. Not sure of prices but you should be able to do a deal.

There is a group of 2 or 3 older buildings further up the hill called Executive Residences. These are older buildings with good sized units, available at reasonable prices even pre-covid.

There is a large older building on the third soi down between Pratumnak Sois 4 & 5. Apologies, I can't remember the name but there are some decent sized units there and I would expect prices to be reasonable.

Finally there is a View Talay at the bottom of Soi 6, IIRC even the studios are around 40 sqm.

One caveat about Pratumnak is that the soi dog problem is getting worse. Their numbers have increased recently and in some areas they are getting territorial, particularly on quieter sois  were there is less traffic and at night.

Edit; I think the building between Sois 4 & 5 might be called Star Beach but not 100%.

Edited by tallguy
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm always surprised that the condo developers are for the most part building shoe boxes. Maybe it's only me but no way could I live in a 26 square meter room.  Most hotel rooms are bigger than that. My condo is 60 square meters and is barely livable. Living in a studio is maybe OK for guys on holiday but living like that full time would make me stir crazy.

I did find a corner unit on Soi 7 Jomtien that was 52 square meters. It at least had a sliding door hiding the bed. The day I had to make up my mind, the electricity was off. I asked the owner when the emergency generator would come on. There was no generator and I refused to walk up 17 floors. I kept looking.

If you end up having a live in girlfriend, she will want to watch Thai TV and you will want English TV. Having a separate bedroom eliminates that problem as well as being able to have your computer in the bedroom. Having room for a washing machine with plenty of storage is also a big plus.

Edited by Gary
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Gary said:

I'm always surprised that the condo developers are for the most part building shoe boxes. Maybe it's only me but no way could I live in a 26 square meter room.  Most hotel rooms are bigger than that. My condo is 60 square meters and is barely livable. Living in a studio is maybe OK for guys on holiday but living like that full time would make me stir crazy.

I did find a corner unit on Soi 7 Jomtien that was 52 square meters. It at least had a sliding door hiding the bed. The day I had to make up my mind, the electricity was off. I asked the owner when the emergency generator would come on. There was no generator and I refused to walk up 17 floors. I kept looking.

If you end up having a live in girlfriend, she will want to watch Thai TV and you will want English TV. Having a separate bedroom eliminates that problem as well as being able to have your computer in the bedroom. Having room for a washing machine with plenty of storage is also a big plus.

Yup.  I would not live higher than I can walk unless the building has emergency power available.  And I think my last condo was at my limit of comfort at 7 floors.  Also agree 26 meters is only for a visit.  I had 80 sqm and that was comfortable. 

As for a washing machine - pass.  I'm OK dropping it off and picking it up.  Lazy fuck here.  ?

14 minutes ago, Shooter said:

As for a washing machine - pass.  I'm OK dropping it off and picking it up.  Lazy fuck here.  ?

Usually you would need a dryer too as there is little space to hang up your bedsheets to dry in a 60m2 condo..... and they require an exhaust to outside unless they can condense too.  I recall travelling around Thailand using laundries where I could, it  was a problem as some places would not accept the wife's smalls..... kinda odd. 

7 hours ago, jacko said:

Usually you would need a dryer too as there is little space to hang up your bedsheets to dry in a 60m2 condo..... and they require an exhaust to outside unless they can condense too.  I recall travelling around Thailand using laundries where I could, it  was a problem as some places would not accept the wife's smalls..... kinda odd. 

I have a drying rack that I unfold and put on my larger bedroom balcony. It is no hassle to hang my wet clothes on that rack. My condo also has a small balcony off the living room where I have my washing machine. With the living room curtains closed, you wouldn't know it was there. The condo complex has a laundry service but I find that more hassle than doing it myself.

• Like 1
On 28/01/2021 at 10:23 PM, jacko said:

Surely a balcony is a must? Clothes dry fast if they come out of a machine

4 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Surely a balcony is a must? Clothes dry fast if they come out of a machine

I thought a lot of places had a ban on this..... 

Also many balconies I have been on are small, filled up with crap and AC units, and bedsheets at 180x180 cm or so need a good amount of space. 

My bedroom balcony is quite large. I have a table and chairs and still have plenty of room for the drying rack. That balcony overlooks the swimming pool and I like to have my morning coffee out there. There is a rule that you cannot hang clothes on the balcony rail. The living room balcony is small and it too has a drying rack but it is too small for sheets or blankets. I do use it to dry small floor rugs and to store mops, mop buckets and cleaning supplies. Only the 60 square meter corner units have two balconies. Most other units are 40 square meters and their balconies are the full width of the units, so not that small either.