Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Lockdown in UK ends Mid June

8 minutes ago, jacko said:

I don't know that because schools have been closed. And by the way it has been happening.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/transmission_k_12_schools.html

During the study period, the researchers identified nine clusters of COVID-19 cases involving a total of 13 educators and 32 students at six of the elementary schools. (A cluster was defined as at least three linked cases of COVID-19.)

It is a contagious virus that spreads like colds and flu. The kids bring such back home from school... I can only think of a doctor's waiting room being as bad. (Or a sports venue). 

Any idea why the CDC recommends schools should open?

Jeez, how many kids die in car wrecks each year?  How many teachers?  Should we stop driving?

6 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

Any idea why the CDC recommends schools should open?

Jeez, how many kids die in car wrecks each year?  How many teachers?  Should we stop driving?

Schools need to reopen to get the kids educated. The World is getting the better of covid now.

Sorry I do not see how road accidents has anything to do with Covid or schools.... 

6 minutes ago, jacko said:

Schools need to reopen to get the kids educated. The World is getting the better of covid now.

Sorry I do not see how road accidents has anything to do with Covid or schools.... 

BigD like obtuseness.....

The only thing I can add is that I don't believe in crystal balls.

Who knows what the situation will be in a few months time? Will there be new variants? Will anyone want to let you into their country? Will the vaccines keep working? Will there be insurance available for travelling? Will everyone everywhere drop managed quarantine on arrival?

The point I make is that despite some of the most comprehensive quarantine and isolation rules in the world my country is constantly getting reinfected. No one seems to know how they get into the community, but it's a fact of life that they do.

No one wishes for overseas travel more than me but I am keeping 100 % grounded until I can truly believe that it's all under control.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
16 hours ago, teelack said:

The only thing I can add is that I don't believe in crystal balls.

Who knows what the situation will be in a few months time? Will there be new variants? Will anyone want to let you into their country? Will the vaccines keep working? Will there be insurance available for travelling? Will everyone everywhere drop managed quarantine on arrival?

The point I make is that despite some of the most comprehensive quarantine and isolation rules in the world my country is constantly getting reinfected. No one seems to know how they get into the community, but it's a fact of life that they do.

No one wishes for overseas travel more than me but I am keeping 100 % grounded until I can truly believe that it's all under control.

I appreciate your caution.  BUT - it could be a decade or more (may always be around) for Covid 19 to drop down to common flu like symptoms.  Are you going to wait that long?  People die from the common flu every year.  Especially the elderly.

Quality vaccines like Pfizer reduce chances of infection 95%.  Those 5% unfortunate enough to get infected will not suffer serious illness or hospitalization.  Chances of dying are virtually zero.*  There is strong evidence that if infected and asymptomatic there is little chance of infecting others if vaccinated.

*They believe Pfizer will limit the degree of sickness against the variants too!

Edited by BigusDicus
  • Like 1
I appreciate your caution.  BUT - it could be a decade or more (may always be around) for Covid 19 to drop down to common flu like symptoms.  Are you going to wait that long?  People die from the common flu every year.  Especially the elderly.
Quality vaccines like Pfizer reduce chances of infection 95%.  Those 5% unfortunate enough to get infected will not suffer serious illness or hospitalization.  Chances of dying are virtually zero.*  There is strong evidence that if infected and asymptomatic there is little chance of infecting others if vaccinated.
*They believe Pfizer will limit the degree of sickness against the variants too!
I think that I am being practical rather than cautious. I am certainly not looking for a guarantee of zero infection. I am prepared to take risks to get my life back on track.

I am simply saying this. We will all know that things are under control when we don't have to do two weeks quarantine coming and going. That to me is common sense for the vast majority of us. It is also a big financial hit.

I want travel more than most because at my age I am running out of time. As far as I am concerned the millions of words about borders opening boil down to just two words. Open Borders. Anything else is just wishful thinking and is causing people to plan and anticipate travel when there is little data to show that there is a universal chance of an early opening of borders.

I don't want it to be this way, but it is. I have no problem knowing when I will be back in Thailand. Its when both governments tell me that 2 weeks minimum quarantine is finished with.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Supersun said:

I understand from a source in Thailand international tourism will be opened from 1 July 2021. Appreciate any further info.

Care to quote your source? you're not giving anyone a lot to go on.

2 hours ago, Supersun said:

I understand from a source in Thailand international tourism will be opened from 1 July 2021. Appreciate any further info.

51 minutes ago, keyman said:

My guess is that the source is a vlogger! ?

2 hours ago, Supersun said:

Heard nothing.... it is open to International tourism now actually! Just 14 days quarantine required.

2 hours ago, keyman said:

The Tourist Authority, and others associated with the industry, regularly come up with proposals to increase tourism which are generally quashed by the medical authorities in short order.

The most recent one was travel / quarantine bubbles in places like Pattaya and Phuket. I heard on one of the recent news bulletins, (thaiger news I think), that this also had been knocked on the head by the medical authorities.

Given that Thailand is only just beginning to receive supplies of vaccines I suspect it will be nearer the end of the year before there is any prospect of tourism returning with no, or even reduced quarantine.

1 hour ago, Brown1950 said:

I think BA commencing flights LHR-BKK  in November gives the biggest hint for when Thailand borders will open up to tourism.

I am pleased that you have that much faith in the knowledge at BA. Reading some of the comments here about the organisation has lead me to believe that they are not even sure where the front of the plane is!  Having said that, as someone has already pointed out today, they are open for tourism right now. 

21 hours ago, Brown1950 said:

I think BA commencing flights LHR-BKK  in November gives the biggest hint for when Thailand borders will open up to tourism.

Why? Do you believe BA has a source in the Thai government or has influence here? 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:36 PM, Supersun said:

International "open" tourism wont remotely be back on the menu by June. Not until the vast majority of the Thai population are vaccinated