Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Bloody fantastic.

I've been there a couple of times yonks ago. My main memory was that it was too bloody hot and not many places to sit but you've spotted a lot more than I ever did !!

I do not think I have been there since some of my earliest ever visits to Bangkok....and I really don't know why....

I love a trip around Lumpini Park. It's main entrance (first picture) is opposite the hospital I visit from time to time. Glad to see it has reopened.

I enjoyed walking there a few times.

Spent a couple of hours watching the old men playing the Thai version of Chinese chess. Their english was almost as bad as my thai but it was relaxing just watching.

Now I've reached old age myself.

12 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

It was certainly hot out there in the afternoon.  I walked over to Roadhouse BBQ at Rama IV and Surawong for a pint of Guinness afterward, which really hit the spot, can't recommend the food there.

IMG_20210305_140909.jpg

FYI:  After 8 PM, freelancers congregate on Sarisin Road which boarders the north side of the park, but you need to speak some Thai to connect with them because none speak any English, they're there looking for Thai customers.

The last time I shot the monitors it was in the late afternoon, and I walked over to Patpong for some drinks.  After a few, I went into Pink Panther and ordered a Long Island Iced Tea.  The lineup was good, so I ordered another.  I figured they must be diluted because this was Patpong.   Being so dehydrated, I got so wasted that I left my camera bag in the bar with $5,000 worth of gear.  The waitress came running after me down the street waving my bag like I'd walked out without paying the check.  

You may have left PP before the show any way but did it look to you like they still have the boxing at PP these days?

2 hours ago, VPI78 said:

You may have left PP before the show any way but did it look to you like they still have the boxing at PP these days?

The boxing stadium was moved to a new location several years ago and implicated in an outbreak of COVID cases last year.  It’s set to reopen with events without spectators.

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/lumpini-boxing-stadium-re-opens-tomorrow-for-online-and-tv-spectators-only

Don’t know if they still feature boxing at Pink Panther, that’s was at 11 PM, and I’m on the BTS back to Sukhumvit by then.

Edited by RhinoTusk
2 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

The boxing stadium was moved to a new location several years ago and implicated in an outbreak of COVID cases last year.  It’s set to reopen with events without spectators.

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/lumpini-boxing-stadium-re-opens-tomorrow-for-online-and-tv-spectators-only

Don’t know if they still feature boxing at Pink Panther, that’s was at 11 PM, and I’m on the BTS back to Sukhumvit by then.

Thanks, that's what I meant, i.e., whether the show boxing was still on at Pink Panther.

We used to shuffle across the road to G's for some German food once the fisticuffs and kicking started.

Great photos again. I remember one afternoon, just after the turn of the century, I was walking around the park, feeling quite seedy after a heavy session. I lay down on the grass, pulled my baseball cap over my eyes and dozed off, only to wake up when the sun had moved and my shade disappeared. I found that I was surrounded by four of those bloody big lizards and they were closing in on me. I reckon they thought I was dead. Frightened shit outta me! It took some time before I went back there, but my Thai 'wife' and I spent an hour or two in the park in early 2019. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, yorta2 said:

Great photos again. I remember one afternoon, just after the turn of the century, I was walking around the park, feeling quite seedy after a heavy session. I lay down on the grass, pulled my baseball cap over my eyes and dozed off, only to wake up when the sun had moved and my shade disappeared. I found that I was surrounded by four of those bloody big lizards and they were closing in on me. I reckon they thought I was dead. Frightened shit outta me! It took some time before I went back there, but my Thai 'wife' and I spent an hour or two in the park in early 2019. 

It’s good you awoke in time.  You don’t want to turn your back on these guys, they have sharp claws, a keen sense of smell, powerful jaws, and serrated teeth for ripping flesh from carcasses.  I doubt you’ll find many homeless people sleeping in the park at night.

FYI: Lumpinee Boxing Stadium is reopening today  :fight and tickets will only be sold to foreigners. How’s that for dual pricing?  I see an opportunity to become a scalper. ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1209097-tickets-for-fights-at-lumpinee-boxing-stadium-will-only-be-sold-to-foreigners/

18 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

FYI: Lumpinee Boxing Stadium is reopening today  :fight and tickets will only be sold to foreigners. How’s that for dual pricing?  I see an opportunity to become a scalper. ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1209097-tickets-for-fights-at-lumpinee-boxing-stadium-will-only-be-sold-to-foreigners/

Interesting...

The move will also prevent locals from gambling at the event as the venue seeks to move away from its association with gambling, Bangkok Biz News reported.

Or perhaps they don't want to infect their own and will test it out on foreigners?

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, RhinoTusk said:

They need to open up the bars. Here’s a water monitor in a 7-11 store looking for a 6-pack of Chang.

A bit like that old goat that used to hang around on the steps of 7/11s on Khao Talo and Khao Noi ... but enough of Jacko...move on..

• Haha 2
  • 1 year later...

Great pics, as always, RT. It looks like a lot of people still wearing masks. ?

There's also one pretty brave pussy!!!!  ?

KM

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, keyman said:

Great pics, as always, RT. It looks like a lot of people still wearing masks. ?

There's also one pretty brave pussy!!!!  ?

KM

Lol.  Yes most in Bangkok wear masks voluntarily.  I do too, so I don’t look like a tourist. ?

Great post.  Good to know about the Symphony though not playing at present.   Growing up in Annapolis my parents would take me to free concerts in the evening at the Naval Academy band. It was good fun for a kid as they were held in the Field House so I came home pretty covered in sawdust. Nice memories.  

• Upvote 1

I have a theory that the Loch Ness monster was actually an Asian Water Moniter transplanted from Southeast Asia by a merchant seaman.  There was only one so it couldn’t reproduce, but people saw it and thought WTF?  Mystery Solved.  BTW,  I’ve been to Loch Ness in 1989, didn’t see any monitors.

Edited by RhinoTusk