Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

News about covid vaccine--maybe June

Email from Gavin Waddell, the international marketing manager at Phyathai Hospital in Sriracha

First I would like to address the COVID - 19 vaccine situation, as from the volume of requests regarding the vaccine I've received over the last few weeks

I can see how concerned you are about the seriousness of the situation and rightly so. Over the last few weeks we acquired enough to vaccinate the hospital

staff with the Sinovac vaccine as it is all we have available at the moment. Now that private hospitals have been given the go ahead to order vaccines by ourselves

this process is now ongoing. We have placed orders with several brands including Astra Zeneca, which from your calls and emails the majority are in favour of.

The hospital management expect, but by no means are certain that we will have enough stocks to go on public sale by June, although I don't have any information

on cost or distribution protocol. As soon as I receive definite confirmation when the vaccine is available I will of course let you know by email.

Edited by nkped
  • Thanks 4

Well appreciated nkped ,this is the first concrete information we have seen for farang. I spoke with Gavin last year concerning an administrative problem at PHS and he gave a strong response.    I have a contact at Bumrungrad and will email her tomorrow. If she has anything to add i will tack on to this thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes thanks for that. 

1) How Can I Register for a Vaccination?

a) Mor Phrom V.2 app. At this time it appears it’s only valid for Only Thai people or Expats with a
Thai ID number shown on their Pink Card

i) Launch the Line App
ii) Click the Home button on the bottom line
iii) Click the Person+ icon in the upper right
iv) Click the QR code icon on the top line
v) Scan this barcode:
vi) Click the Person+Add icon
vii) Go back to Home
viii) Click on the Mor Prom line:
ix) Scroll down to find:
x) Click the green button
xi) Scroll down a long, long way and click green button to approve the user agreement for the Mor Prom
service.

xii) Click the green button to approve data collection of your personal information
xiii) Click the green button to approve understanding of the vaccination statement
xiv) Fill in the form, on separate lines: First Name, Surname, National Identification Number (Top Line of Pink
Card), Second National Identification Number (Number in white box on the back of the Pink Card), Birth
Date, then click the green button
xv) Select which group you fall into
(1) Medical Personnel
(2) Frontline personnel involved in the control and prevention of COVID 19
(3) Seniors 60 years and over
(4) People with 7 underlying diseases
(5) General public

xvi) Enter information into the long form, which is mostly in Thai.

(1) Pull down for salutation
(2) Confirm first name and surname
(3) Confirm Thai ID number
(4) Confirm birthdate
(5) Phone number
(6) Gender
(7) Street address
(8) Pull down for province
(9) Pull down for town
(10) Pull down for which hospital you prefer
(11) Click the green button

xvii) Final page is the confirmation of registration.

(1) If you are in the First Group you may get a screen to set up an appointment date. If anyone is in the First Group and gets an appointment, please let us know in the comments how this works.

(2) If you are in the Second Group, you will be contacted later when vaccinations open up
b) At your local hospital
c) At your local health office
d) At your local private hospital, if offered
e) At your local private clinic, if offered.

2) Who can register as of May 1, 2021 - “First Group”?
a) Over 60 years old
b) Chronic diseases including severe respiratory syndrome, heart and coronary
diseases, kidney diseases, cerebrovascular diseases, diabetes, cancer patients under treatment, and obese
patients weighing over 100kg, or having a body mass index exceeding 35

3) Who can register on July 1, 2021 - “Second Group”?
a) General public 18-59 years old
b) Expats

4) Where can you get vaccinated?
a) Government hospital
b) Health office
c) Government pop-up vaccination center
d) Private hospital, if they are able to source vaccines
e) Private clinic, if they are able to source vaccines

5) When will vaccinations for the general public start?
a) First group vaccinations are scheduled to start June 7
b) Second group vaccinations are scheduled to start sometime in August

6) Which vaccines will be available? Additional vaccines may be available by the time you
can get your shot.
There will be no choice of which one you get
a) Sinovac
b) AstraZeneca

7) What is the cost?
a) Free for Thai people
b) Expats, depending on where you get vaccinated:
i) Free
ii) For a service charge
iii) For vaccine cost and service charge

Copied from the TD site

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, sailingbill said:

i) Free
ii) For a service charge
iii) For vaccine cost and service charge

Not free then? 

That is all very comprehensive Bill but a bit mind numbing. I simply figured if my Thai Mrs can't register, as she is not old enough, it is unlikely I will be able to. it will get sorted but as is often the case here they will debate the hell out of it first. I have hopes private hospitals will eventually be offering paid for vaccinations, because the government organized one is failing to do the job.  

Until then, or infections plummet, I am leading the life of a hermit. 

Edited by jacko

I was talking with a friend last night in Bangkok and we are all feeling a bit like hermits. No one is even doing the coffee cup darkened bar thing. American Tavern is closed for the first time.  My post was in sarcastic jest and realizing we farang are on our own dependent on what the private hospitals can provide. It was sad to me that Thailand did an excellent job at general and targeted lockdowns and limiting large gatherings. Then complete failure on the vaccine side from the start refusing to lock in preorders , delaying vaccine approval, the silly vacation quarantine, bubble and sandbox schemes and refusing or delaying private hospital participation. Reminds me of my home baseball team the Baltimore Orioles. They have had some brilliant games of hitting, pitching and defense. But since they only exhibit one of the parameters a game they land in next to last place. 

This may have gotten out already. But anyway the best hope for expats is their embassies.

So far the Thai government is ignoring the request to allow vaccine import for non-Thai's. 

My understanding is that several countries are pushing it. it seems to have something to do with face

i believe.

1 hour ago, aj said:

This may have gotten out already. But anyway the best hope for expats is their embassies.

So far the Thai government is ignoring the request to allow vaccine import for non-Thai's. 

My understanding is that several countries are pushing it. it seems to have something to do with face

i believe.

Not sure it has anything to do with face, instead I expect we represent a nice profit center for those that control the vaccine. With that in mind, I wasn't surprised to read this news report.

Moderna Covid-19 vaccines will be sold directly to Thai government only, says Public Health Minister

• Thanks 2