Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Two years ago this month I paid nearly £500 for a London-BKK return flight for March last year. we all know what happened, the shit hit the fan and everything was cancelled.

We all know also that the airline was up to it`s neck in debt and the pandemic threatened to sink it without trace, but four months ago a rescue package was agreed with creditors but they would need to obtain huge loans to survive.

Up till now I`ve not received a single penny in refund, maybe it was short sighted of me to not claim the money back through my credit card but that ship sailed some time ago now.

Anyone else in a similar situation to me please?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well well well!   That was a surprise!  Ive been re- booked on a flight with Thai Airways ( economy "class K") for October this year............no charge! I was well chuffed! I mailed t

Also Emirates own the following Travel Companies in UK :- Travelbag Travel Republic  

Netflights are part of the Emirates Group !

I had booked CNX-BKK on Thai for a trip in May last year and basically wrote off what had paid. For the other flights on that booked trip I managed to get full refunds off Qatar and Bangkok Airway.

Did you get vouchers when your flights got cancelled?

3 hours ago, TheFiend said:

I had booked CNX-BKK on Thai for a trip in May last year and basically wrote off what had paid. For the other flights on that booked trip I managed to get full refunds off Qatar and Bangkok Airway.

Did you get vouchers when your flights got cancelled?

I booked it through a third party unfortunately, when I contact TA I`m always told to contact them.  I got this automated email from them  a while ago, still waiting.

Edited by keyman

Sorry, there is no delete option on here, didn`t come out has I had hoped. 

basically the email said this. in short.

The airline are working on paying refunds, thank you for your patience, not the news you wanted to here that they can`t give a time frame. 

11 hours ago, berks_guy said:

Anyone else in a similar situation to me please?

I had a flight booked in March 2020 with them... they cancelled my original flight, but moved my reservation to a different day, which (thank God) I never availed myself of. It was a non-refundable ticket, so I didn't expect to qualify anyhow. 

1 hour ago, jacko said:

I had a flight booked in March 2020 with them... they cancelled my original flight, but moved my reservation to a different day, which (thank God) I never availed myself of. It was a non-refundable ticket, so I didn't expect to qualify anyhow. 

Mine was non-refundable too, but my agent assured me that because of the exceptional circumstances that would be overlooked. 

1 hour ago, berks_guy said:

Mine was non-refundable too, but my agent assured me that because of the exceptional circumstances that would be overlooked. 

Haha, I suspect not by Thai and not within Thailand (bankruptcy being exceptional too)...I have given up, but was quite pleased to get my prepaid hotel refunded. 

I came back from my last holiday there in Feb 2020..the following month (March 2020) I booked a flight for September to come back in December.

The flight was obviously cancelled!

I booked on Thais website, had an automated e-mail from them, saying they will get back in touch with me.

Of course they havent, Ive not received a penny back off them...I dont expect a penny either.

The only "good "! thing about it was.......i was going to treat myself and fly Business class.....thank god I didnt book it! I booked economy, using some miles from R.O.P.  so I will "only"! lose about £420 ish.................................................................................great!

2 hours ago, marleyboy said:

The only "good "! thing about it was.......i was going to treat myself and fly Business class.....thank god I didnt book it! I booked economy, using some miles from R.O.P.  so I will "only"! lose about £420 ish.................................................................................great!

Not being pedantic but Biz fare are usually refundable, although I cannot confirm Thai refunded those myself. I know I had helluva job getting a refund on a Biz Class fare after a family death forced  cancellation.... That ended up between Expedia and The carrier blaming each other for months on end,  but I felt it was more about Expedia hoping I would give up. There started my period of booking directly with the carriers. 

Biz fares on Thai are usually pricey.

Edited by jacko
14 hours ago, jacko said:

Not being pedantic but Biz fare are usually refundable, although I cannot confirm Thai refunded those myself. I know I had helluva job getting a refund on a Biz Class fare after a family death forced  cancellation.... That ended up between Expedia and The carrier blaming each other for months on end,  but I felt it was more about Expedia hoping I would give up. There started my period of booking directly with the carriers. 

Biz fares on Thai are usually pricey.

The "problem" with me (and 1000s! of others)  getting any refund/recourse ,is because Thai are meant to be going into administration/re- structuring etc. so its way easier for them not to refund anybody.

I really liked Thai Airways timings from the U.K.   I will have to punch myself in the face a dozen times though, if I ever fly them again!

Response from the travel agent we booked through for our cancelled March 2020 flight. Aunt Betty are part of the Flight Centre group and have been a pain in the arse to deal with.

THAI AIRWAYS BEGINS TO RESUME REFUND APPLICATIONS

In May 2020, Thai Airways refund application process was completely suspended, due to the company undergoing a business restructure. The business rehabilitation plan proposed to the Central Court of Bankruptcy in Thailand was approved in June 2021, including the proposal for the resumption of refund payments. Thai Airways plan is now proceeding under the guidance of nominated entities and planners, and as its business gradually resumes, small volumes of refunds are beginning to be processed each month.

What does this mean for your you?

Each month Thai will release a small set of refunds, with refund applications submitted back in March 2020 being assessed and processed first.

What is the expected time of these refunds to be processed?

Thai are unable to provide a timeline of when refunds will be paid. We continue to work with Thai Airways in Australia, and their Head Office, to ensure we receive this information if it becomes available.

Why can't Thai give us an expected timeline?

As refunds are being posted in small batches, Thai are unable to advise timelines. The good news is that the process has started and customers worldwide are starting to see their refunds come through.

I had submitted a Thai refund back in March 2020 (or beyond) but it hasn't come through yet.

While we work with Thai to refund customers, we acknowledge we are not the only agency to be waiting on refunds. If you have submitted a refund back in March 2020 but have not yet seen it come through, it will still be processing.

As mentioned before, we are unable to confirm timelines for each individual refund but continue to work with Thai to try secure this information.

Kind Regards,
Aunt Betty

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, pretty much the same reply I got, but not in so many words. 

Dear customer

Thank you for your ongoing patience whilst waiting for your Thai Airways refund. We sincerely apologise on behalf of the airline for the length of time that it is taking to recover your monies.

We regret that we are still unable to bring you good news as the ongoing travel restrictions into Thailand continue to have a negative impact on the airlines’ cashflow making the refund process extremely slow.

Netflights continue to make regular contact with Thai Airways and the airline is committed to refunding our customers, but are unable to provide a timescale.

We appreciate that this may not be the news that you were hoping for, but be reassured that we are doing everything we can to support your booking. As soon as we have further information, we will be in touch.

6 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

Sad seeing some of the TG fleet parked up in storage at Swampy, looked like a few hadn't moved for a hell of a long time.

That, plus the perilous state of Thai Airways' finances, makes me think that I won't be choosing to fly with them for a long while.

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:50 PM, jacko said:

You should be able to get any taxes back?

9 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Never pursued it... Thai Airways were hardly being helpful!

Perhaps I was simply a no show to them.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:42 AM, yselmike said:

Its a legal requirement to pay back at least the taxes!

7 hours ago, firth1974 said:

Its a legal requirement to pay back at least the taxes!

What Worldwide?

4 hours ago, jacko said:

What Worldwide?

At least out of the UK it is. Even if you buy a non-refundable ticket they would have to refund your taxes paid!