Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ride a bike in Pattaya or taxi everywhere?

As an additional point walking in Pattaya isn't always safe.  I see people walk with their back to traffic 2 abreast and the road isn't wide enough for traffic of two cars arrive at the same spot at the same time.  Or some idiot bike overtakes and forces the car to it's limit.  Soi Buacao is a prime example of this.  I always walk facing the traffic on my side single file and ready to bail if something looks iffy.  And yes I know guys who have been nicked by passing cars. 

Really getting around in Thailand, by car, bike or walking, is the worst part of Pattaya.  Other than that I have zero complaints.  I like the food, hotels, people, everything.  Just got to be careful when moving about.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO if you live in a location not served well by baht bus loops or mototaxis it's hard not to own one.  Like sailingbill living on Wongamot beach.  Tough to get there without.  And I guess if I lived

Yep, people tend to obsess over the least risky situations, e.g., not wearing a face diaper; I reckon that correlates well with the most widely shown via media, any media. When statistically one of th

I remember the dwarf saying that but you made me google erudite.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Shooter said:

As an additional point walking in Pattaya isn't always safe.  I see people walk with their back to traffic 2 abreast and the road isn't wide enough for traffic of two cars arrive at the same spot at the same time.  Or some idiot bike overtakes and forces the car to it's limit.  Soi Buacao is a prime example of this.  I always walk facing the traffic on my side single file and ready to bail if something looks iffy.  And yes I know guys who have been nicked by passing cars. 

Really getting around in Thailand, by car, bike or walking, is the worst part of Pattaya.  Other than that I have zero complaints.  I like the food, hotels, people, everything.  Just got to be careful when moving about.

Yep, people tend to obsess over the least risky situations, e.g., not wearing a face diaper; I reckon that correlates well with the most widely shown via media, any media. When statistically one of the most risky activities in a place like Pattaya is the most common, e.g., crossing 2nd road, or tripping in those flip flops on what serve as pedestrian walkways that are also largely motorcycle freeways. I have no data but in casual observations easily 10% or more of the farangs I encounter rambling around Thailand are limping.

But those gladiator sandals, now those are cool, especially when paired with socks and a man bag.

GSmanbag.jpg

Edited by VPI78
  • Haha 3

I ride a motorcycle round Pattaya, it isn't so bad ....... but my worst concern is the out of town part of my ride. Lately the railway line bypass Rd has been closed many times Southbound, forcing me to use Sukhumvit... bits of it that are open have some big potholes created by the many heavy vehicles working there. So onto Sukhumvit... now that is scary at weekend, the lorries, minivans and Bangkok traffic is tough. I have a pickup/truck, but driving it around town is slow and arduous... have taken to parking it in Big -CX and then leaving it there. (Get there early).Wish I could borrow a bike for 2-3 hours from there..... usually get a couple of M/C taxis, and shank's pony, but miss the flexibility. 

Masks were mentioned above, I put one on for the WIN, seems considerate to the driver. It doesn't seem to bring me out in a rash or make me cry, or stomp my feet at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember walking down Beach Road and a crowd had gathered, they were watching paramedics feebly trying to resuscitate a relatively young Dutch man (I learned that from the newspaper article the next day) who had hit the back of a pickup truck he was following which stopped suddenly.  Surprisingly there was very little blood.  He was very portly and his pants were unzipped with an embarrassing mound of pubic hair peeping out that proved he had never thought of manscaping down there.  I guarantee he never thought he'd go that way.  And it was the day before Songkran, all his party plans dashed in the blink of an eye.

I remember a good friend and bar owner Kerberos(sp?) who was smacked dead from no fault of his own while on his bike as well, and stories of others in these pages who were severely injured, sometimes lingering injuries that eventually led to a long painful death down the road.

My Thai wife's ex killed a cyclist a long time ago while drunk, fled up north and got no real punishment except a few thousand baht he had to give the poor man's family.

And when my wife had to go to the Thai DMV, and they had on a loop a film showing the most horrific cycle accidents caught by traffic cams in brilliant black-and-white.

Still that being said last either my wife rents a bike or we sometimes take the bike taxis.  Human nature always concludes "It's always going to happen to someone else, not me.  After all it's never happened to me yet!"  I will even say sometimes I feel the high of the excitement of a close call..  ting tong for sure!

Have to say with the current cost and service of Bolt riding a bike has become silly.  You can get a car to pick you up and take you anywhere in Pattaya for less than 100 baht.  Why take a motorcycle and risk a simple trip being your last one?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Shooter said:

Have to say with the current cost and service of Bolt riding a bike has become silly.  You can get a car to pick you up and take you anywhere in Pattaya for less than 100 baht.  Why take a motorcycle and risk a simple trip being your last one?

Agree here. If i have been out on a tear the night before i'll take a bolt to Villa even if sober in the AM.  They wait, drive me back to the condo and help with the bags.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Odense said:

Is Bolt better /cheaper / quicker than Grab?

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

At the moment, YES. Grab prices increased a while ago, almost to old meter taxi prices. Bolt prices still great value, Pratumnak to Central Pattaya generally 60-70 baht,(always give 100).

• Like 1
On 2/17/2022 at 1:17 AM, VPI78 said:

Yep, people tend to obsess over the least risky situations, e.g., not wearing a face diaper; I reckon that correlates well with the most widely shown via media, any media. When statistically one of the most risky activities in a place like Pattaya is the most common, e.g., crossing 2nd road, or tripping in those flip flops on what serve as pedestrian walkways that are also largely motorcycle freeways. I have no data but in casual observations easily 10% or more of the farangs I encounter rambling around Thailand are limping.

But those gladiator sandals, now those are cool, especially when paired with socks and a man bag.

GSmanbag.jpg

I thought he was disabled at first but it looks like they have Photoshoped out his fingers (or something he was holding)

At the moment, YES. Grab prices increased a while ago, almost to old meter taxi prices. Bolt prices still great value, Pratumnak to Central Pattaya generally 60-70 baht,(always give 100).
Is the price difference reflected in the amount the driver gets. All the drivers might go to Grab instead of Bolt?

2 hours ago, Chris100UK said:

I thought he was disabled at first but it looks like they have Photoshoped out his fingers (or something he was holding)

His hand is in his pocket

3 hours ago, Odense said:

Is the price difference reflected in the amount the driver gets. All the drivers might go to Grab instead of Bolt?

Most people in Pattaya pay cash so I don't know how much the app operators take. Also Bolt is the most used app in Pattaya so it is Bolt drivers who get the vast majority of the work.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Shooter said:

Don't really see it that way.... a motorcycle is just so convenient and there as you need it. Works for that day when you want to do a few things....risk is not high in the main in town. It is the big junctions and trips out of town where the danger lies. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Chris100UK said:

Is there much bike theft in Pattaya? Either pedal bike or scooter?

I see an occasional news report about one or two motorbikes getting nicked. Probably more that don't get reported. You can avoid being one of those statistics if you take simple precautions like using the lock cover and lock the fork when leaving a motorbike parked for an extended period of time.

Same with a pedal bike. I always lock mine when I need to leave it unattended. I also keep my bikes inside the house at night. Both to protect them from theft, and to protect them from the elements outside.

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I see an occasional news report about one or two motorbikes getting nicked. Probably more that don't get reported. You can avoid being one of those statistics if you take simple precautions like using the lock cover and lock the fork when leaving a motorbike parked for an extended period of time.

Same with a pedal bike. I always lock mine when I need to leave it unattended. I also keep my bikes inside the house at night. Both to protect them from theft, and to protect them from the elements outside.

Lot of pedal bike thefts here in the UK. Even when locked in a populated area if the bike is half decent. 

I've seen videos of Thai's beating Thai's for attempted bike theft. I think the stakes are raised when stealing in Thailand...though that is somewhat offset by higher poverty levels and the temptation to steal. 

Less theiving feral teens as far as I can see. That seems more of a Western problem.

Pickpocketing ladyboys is not much a problem in my hometown though! Thailand win.

23 hours ago, jacko said:

Don't really see it that way.... a motorcycle is just so convenient and there as you need it. Works for that day when you want to do a few things....risk is not high in the main in town. It is the big junctions and trips out of town where the danger lies. 

That said, had a bit of a scare yesterday as I drove my truck... coming out of soi Yume from Big-C and aiming to go straight across into Soi Arunothai. Couple of young girls on a motorcycle took the left off Klang without stopping, or even looking. Of course with traffic waiting to exit Arunothai, a lane of cars/trucks and a line of bikes central, nowhere to go. Maybe my view changed slightly, but I personally would not have gone against the lights without looking off Klang there!

1 hour ago, jacko said:

That said, had a bit of a scare yesterday as I drove my truck... coming out of soi Yume from Big-C and aiming to go straight across into Soi Arunothai. Couple of young girls on a motorcycle took the left off Klang without stopping, or even looking. Of course with traffic waiting to exit Arunothai, a lane of cars/trucks and a line of bikes central, nowhere to go. Maybe my view changed slightly, but I personally would not have gone against the lights without looking off Klang there!

See that all to often and it is scary, Thais pulling out without so much as a glance to oncoming traffic expecting their Buddha amulet to protect them.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

See that all to often and it is scary, Thais pulling out without so much as a glance to oncoming traffic expecting their Buddha amulet to protect them.

On a red light too of course.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:00 AM, forcebwithu said:

On 3/7/2022 at 1:06 AM, jacko said:

On a red light too of course.

Best explanation I've ever encountered (wish I'd found it decades ago)

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

Heres a screenshot from the start of a very 'eye opening' section:

image.png

Once you appreciate that its all about the area they can see in front thats clear the 'no look turn left onto a major road' without further reference makes (although perverse) sense. That you can see him doing it it becomes your prevail to accommodate it. 

Edited by Regyai
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Regyai said:

image.png

Once you appreciate that its all about the area they can see in front thats clear the 'no look turn left onto a major road' without further reference makes (although perverse) sense. That you can see him doing it it becomes your prevail to accommodate it. 

It could also be argued the distance of the arc ahead of his or her nose is quite a bit closer than pictured. 

• Upvote 1
On 3/6/2022 at 7:03 AM, jacko said:

I hear you.  Yes, if you wish to  bop around Pattaya there is no easier way to get places and park.  But I disagree that the level of danger other than trips and junctions is that much less.  Less yes but it takes little to have a serious injury on a bike even at low speeds and you don't even need to be drunk or do anything wrong.  There are idiots on the roads in town that will ruin your year or life slamming into you at 30 MPH for no reason than they just don't care to watch out. 

I have friends with bikes and I understand them.  To me the risk is too high.  To quote an erudite scholar that once opined on Game of Thrones, I wish to die at 80 with a belly full of wine and a womans lips round my cock.

?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shooter said:

I hear you.  Yes, if you wish to  bop around Pattaya there is no easier way to get places and park.  But I disagree that the level of danger other than trips and junctions is that much less.  Less yes but it takes little to have a serious injury on a bike even at low speeds and you don't even need to be drunk or do anything wrong.  There are idiots on the roads in town that will ruin your year or life slamming into you at 30 MPH for no reason than they just don't care to watch out. 

I have friends with bikes and I understand them.  To me the risk is too high.  To quote an erudite scholar that once opined on Game of Thrones, I wish to die at 80 with a belly full of wine and a womans lips round my cock.

?

I remember the dwarf saying that but you made me google erudite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1