Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pattaya Beer Garden........2020

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mods Post. I've split it off from the previous thread, which  I've now locked as it was 7 years old when it was resurrected!! KM

Posted Images

9 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Just got a message that a worker there is out of a job because PBG has closed. This is only a rumor at this point that has not been confirmed. Anyone have information on this? Is it closed? Is it temporary or permanent?

Perhaps a simple lay-off or staff reduction.

11 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Just got a message that a worker there is out of a job because PBG has closed. This is only a rumor at this point that has not been confirmed. Anyone have information on this? Is it closed? Is it temporary or permanent?

About a month ago, they reduced the amount days staff could work to 15 days in a month.

But I have not heard anymore since.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on another board that the Pattaya Beer Garden will close on September 30.  It was unclear whether it was a closure until "things get better" or a permanent closure. The source of the poster's info was a staff member at PBG.  

Perhaps Pattaya Pete can give a definitive answer.

Evil

I would wait until there is some official announcement from Pete.

The Facebook page I saw  hasn’t been updated since February, maybe one of the reasons it is struggling in covid times.

I spend about an hour to two hours a day on all social media. You have to try harder these days.

Hope it’s not true.

The PBG will always hold a special place for me. It is a reliable place to take any Thai girl to and the pleasure they got from that bloody sontam bar was great to see. Early on I has the odd "date" from there but its bustling food and restaurant side overtook the free lancer idea. I also appreciated the fact that Pete asked for feedback before he opened the place about music, menu and other aspects of the establishment. That so rarely happens but it has stuck with me. The other thing was its ability to keep a stable work force which is a sure sign of good management.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, teelack said:

The PBG will always hold a special place for me. It is a reliable place to take any Thai girl to and the pleasure they got from that bloody sontam bar was great to see. Early on I has the odd "date" from there but its bustling food and restaurant side overtook the free lancer idea. I also appreciated the fact that Pete asked for feedback before he opened the place about music, menu and other aspects of the establishment. That so rarely happens but it has stuck with me. The other thing was its ability to keep a stable work force which is a sure sign of good management.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

It will always hold a special place for me. And also for a late chum of mine.

This is why.

A few years back a pal of mine died in the UK. His sister knew that I was due to visit Pattaya and contacted me by phone with a rather strange request. She'd been to Pattaya and knew that Bob ( her deceased brother) who had lived in both Angeles City and Pattaya had a special sentimental affection for Pattata and in particular the hotel in which we both stayed. Over the years it had become literally a home from home.

She asked if I would take his ashes to our hotel and sprinkle them in the flower beds around the hotel swimming pool where he had spent many an hour with his Thai lady friend. I agreed but on condition I had nothing to do with his fancy woman who was an obnoxious skinny little Thai hag with a face like a scorpion. That was OK with the sister as she neither had any time for the money grabbing little bitch.

Upon arrival at the hotel I informed the receptionist and the manager what my intentions were thinking that they would be pleased that someone who had died six thousand miles away wished the last resting place for his ashes should be among the flowers and shrubs of their hotel gardens and around the swimming pool area. But how wrong I was.

They hit the roof and said under no circumstances could I carry out my plans. Bob was an outsider and as such his ghost would forever haunt the hotel and put a curse upon the place and a load of other similar mumbo jumbo. When they then started on about the police and the monkey house I knew they weren't mucking about! This is the gospel truth.

When they'd calmed down a bit and I'd recovered from the shock they advised me to take his ashes down to the beach and put them in the sea. But advised me not to let anyone see me doing it.

I phoned Bob's sister in London with the bad news and she had little choice but to agree to the new arrangements. She said it was not too bad a development as the currents and tides might eventually take Bobs remains over the ocean to the shore lines of the PI where he had also spent many pleasant years before he'd got to Pattaya and where his fondness for strong drink had taken its inevitable toll on his kidneys.

I took a baht bus up to Soi 1 and walked down to where it met Beach Rd by the Thai Airways office. I then started walking along towards South Pattaya carrying the ashes which had been packed in a grey paper parcel by the funeral parlour who'd handled his cremation back in London. He'd only been a little fellow but his burnt remains were surprisingly heavy so I'd placed them in a Big C plastic carrier bag for transportation purposes. This was before they'd started charging customers for their carrier bags.

I made my way along the promenade looking for a suitable opportunity and section of the beach where I could deposit my old pal's ashes away from prying eyes and thereby avoid detection by other Thai people who might also be scared of ghosts.

I'll finish this later and you'll see how the PBG fits into the story.

Edited by yogi100
  • Upvote 1

Yogi so good of you to try., a true friend. My wishes expressed to my family are to be cremated here and the ashes returned to the Chesapeake. 

You tried to a wonderful thing for his sister.  Commendable.  Its best to remember the hierarchy.  Mom and dad first., then brothers and sisters, ex husbands, then extended family, then the family dog , fleas on the family dog. And then us farangs   Many times not true  II am confident in my lady .But wont fuck with the fleas on her dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill.

Once I've composed myself emotionally and regained my thoughts I'll get back to Bob's ashes and the Pattaya Beer Garden which was where Bob spent his last half hour on dry land.

It's a good idea never to overlook the circumstances in which we met our Thai sweethearts nor the financial negotiations that took place at that time. Poor Bob was a romantic soul who in spite of the amount he had imbibed often permitted his female companion to try and take financial liberties with him.

Unfortunately for his Thai floozie money flowed through Bob's hands like sand through a gardening fork. Several times after his death Bob's sister had to contend with phone calls from Scorpion Face calling from Korat asking if Bob had made any monetary provision for her. Needless to say he hadn't. If I remember rightly his sister had to fork out for his funeral.

Edited by yogi100
6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

It will always hold a special place for me. And also for a late chum of mine.

This is why.

A few years back a pal of mine died in the UK. His sister knew that I was due to visit Pattaya and contacted me by phone with a rather strange request. She'd been to Pattaya and knew that Bob ( her deceased brother) who had lived in both Angeles City and Pattaya had a special sentimental affection for Pattata and in particular the hotel in which we both stayed. Over the years it had become literally a home from home.

She asked if I would take his ashes to our hotel and sprinkle them in the flower beds around the hotel swimming pool where he had spent many an hour with his Thai lady friend. I agreed but on condition I had nothing to do with his fancy woman who was an obnoxious skinny little Thai hag with a face like a scorpion. That was OK with the sister as she neither had any time for the money grabbing little bitch.

Upon arrival at the hotel I informed the receptionist and the manager what my intentions were thinking that they would be pleased that someone who had died six thousand miles away wished the last resting place for his ashes should be among the flowers and shrubs of their hotel gardens and around the swimming pool area. But how wrong I was.

They hit the roof and said under no circumstances could I carry out my plans. Bob was an outsider and as such his ghost would forever haunt the hotel and put a curse upon the place and a load of other similar mumbo jumbo. When they then started on about the police and the monkey house I knew they weren't mucking about! This is the gospel truth.

When they'd calmed down a bit and I'd recovered from the shock they advised me to take his ashes down to the beach and put them in the sea. But advised me not to let anyone see me doing it.

I phoned Bob's sister in London with the bad news and she had little choice but to agree to the new arrangements. She said it was not too bad a development as the currents and tides might eventually take Bobs remains over the ocean to the shore lines of the PI where he had also spent many pleasant years before he'd got to Pattaya and where his fondness for strong drink had taken its inevitable toll on his kidneys.

I took a baht bus up to Soi 1 and walked down to where it met Beach Rd by the Thai Airways office. I then started walking along towards South Pattaya carrying the ashes which had been packed in a grey paper parcel by the funeral parlour who'd handled his cremation back in London. He'd only been a little fellow but his burnt remains were surprisingly heavy so I'd placed them in a Big C plastic carrier bag for transportation purposes. This was before they'd started charging customers for their carrier bags.

I made my way along the promenade looking for a suitable opportunity and section of the beach where I could deposit my old pal's ashes away from prying eyes and thereby avoid detection by other Thai people who might also be scared of ghosts.

I'll finish this later and you'll see how the PBG fits into the story.

I walked the whole length of Beach Rd looking for a suitable place to launch the ashes but found none. I'd have looked a bit weird gradually emptying a bag of ashes into the sea. I wanted to afford Bob a degree of respect and dignity by sprinkling his ashes on the water rather than just chucking the whole bag into the briny at one go. Especially as Beach Rd was busy at the time as was the beach itself.

I finally reached Walking Street and thought I'd be able to give it a go from the PBG. My hunch paid off. I was lucky enough to find an empty bench at the far end overlooking the water with no other occupied seats nearby. I ordered a chicken fried rice and a drink, cut the corners off the package of ashes and waited for my meal to arrive. When I'd eaten it I had a good look round and seizing my chance leaned over the railings and poured the ashes from the bag into the sea and watched them disappear under the surface and into the deep.

Having completed my task I returned to my hotel. I found it quite amazing that the two seemingly sensible members of the staff who I had known for years and were not youngsters were so superstitious that they genuinely believed in ghosts and that some falang's spirit could haunt their hotel.

The next time I'm asked to do it I'll tell whoever asks me to book themselves a flight and do it themselves.

I would not have thought twice about doing it in the UK but when they started on about ghosts, the police and the monkey house I was rather apprehensive and was on my guard throughout the whole performance. 

So now a few years later the PBG and the nearby beer bar complex has finally gone the same way as poor old Bob. There will be plenty more following them once this China Virus has finished with Pattaya.

Edited by yogi100

This seems like a perfect place.

After further rumours on this topic I decided to check them out, we all know the only thing worse than Chinese Whispers is Thai gossip! Staff confirmed the PBG will close on the 30th, perhaps with a staff party. It is a big place and looked forlorn with few customers, but those who were there were having a good time. It was a rainy evening, so tables were empty and shimmering, with a group of Thai ladies making more noise than an Old Trafford crowd. So, sadly for those of you who will never visit The Pattaya Beer garden again, say farewell, adieu, to an institution. I remember going in there when it first opened, and it became a frequent starting point for many a stagger around the Go-Go Bars of the Walking Street area... and by the way, stroll along that beachside and many more places seem to be tumbling into the sea like artic glaciers.

The way in as it currently stands.....

20200923_173304.jpg

Where the shit gets dumped into the sea when they think nobody is looking.

20200923_173331.jpg

One of the best seats in town....

20200923_173507.jpg

Bar view....

20200923_174131.jpg

A view many of us will know.

20200923_174154.jpg

Single Ladies Welcome......

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So sad to know, after the last few rumours. I certainly will miss sitting outside at a table, under a light, with my Thai lady, catching some early evening breeze, cold beer in my hand, and enjoying a nice meal to kickstart the evening. The brightening lights on the harbour made those evenings quite romantic for us. I am a little melancholic about it all.?

Thanks for clarifying, Pete, and I really hope you are able to re-open when the situation allows it.

I, like many, have enjoyed a meal and the music with our latest squeeze there.

Let's hope the wait isn't too long.

KM

1 hour ago, PattayaPete said:

Yes, The Pattaya Beer Garden will close again (temporarily), with Tuesday 29 September being the last day for the public. 

We gave it our best shot, after reopening following the initial Covid closure.  We have tried now for 3 months but never looked even close to breaking even let alone making a profit.  I have been subsidizing the losses to try and keep the jobs going but if I keep doing it I will soon be broke.  

Our lease came up for renewal during all this and we have signed up for a further 3 years.  As soon as the business looks even remotely viable again we will reopen.  We have an internet group subscribed by all staff so it is easy to keep in touch and simple to bring them all back again.

Thanks to everyone who visited during these trying times.  As soon as we decide to open again I will announce it here.

Thank you, but some of the staff seemed to think it was permanent.

This is sad though probably inevitable news in view of the overheads such a large business must have. I too have many fond memories of PBG over the years, and greatly hope that it will arise again when tourist numbers justify that. Bad news for Moulie of FLB fame too, as PBG was no doubt a welcome billet for her.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, monkeyman said:

Guess they didn't know about the signing of the 3 year extension to the lease.    :thumbup

I'm sure for many of the staff whether PBG re-opens or not is not important. They will move on and hopefully find new jobs elsewhere. If PBG re-opens in 5-7 months time, they will have already settled into their new lives.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

I'm sure for many of the staff whether PBG re-opens or not is not important. They will move on and hopefully find new jobs elsewhere. If PBG re-opens in 5-7 months time, they will have already settled into their new lives.

As you're aware in the US,finding a job during the pandemic is more difficult now than ever for this generation. Also,we've heard for the past 6 months that 25% of small businesses that closed will never reopen. Not to mention the larger businesses that won't reopen either-unsure what that percentage is. I hope all of them find work on a steady basis but the outlook is grim.

Edited by 4wheels
7 hours ago, 4wheels said:

As you're aware in the US,finding a job during the pandemic is more difficult now the ever for this generation. Also,we've heard for the past 6 months that 25% of small businesses that closed will never reopen. Not to mention the larger businesses that won't reopen either-unsure what that percentage is. I hope all of them find work on a steady basis but the outlook is grim.

I think most of those who cannot find work will return home. Many of the Pattaya workers already go home to "help on the farm" during planting and harvesting season of rice.

Talked with several staff, not much optimism. A waitress i have known for awhile is sticking it out here in Pattaya. We were probably going to be together but ended up with a live in so never did.   We are going to get together maybe once a week and ill help her with the rent.  Im happy the Thais have done a good job keeping the virus at bay. Would not be happy to back in the states right now.  

• Like 2