Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Chatuchak Weekend Market, Bangkok

Thanks for the super, high quality shots. Other than the oppressive heat, I always enjoy a wander around in there. I generally get lost though. I know I have said this before (some years ago on this forum), but I have seen some animals there that I have never see before, or since, anywhere in the world, and I've see quite a few around other countries.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, TheFiend said:

I've been dragged round there by the Mrs....amazing place...

So what did you buy?  I thought about an aquarium ?, plants and cacti ? ,  but decided I’ll get get some picture frames and decorate my walls with some prints of my photos from Koh Kood. ?️

Edited by RhinoTusk

As sprawling markets go the one thing Chatuchak misses are the golf carts of Rong Kluea Market

There you can park the pick-up hire the cart and jockey back n forth to dump purchases 

Unless you're a lot younger and given to marathons thats a task at Chatuchak

9 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

So what did you buy?  I thought about an aquarium ?, plants and cacti ? ,  but decided I’ll get get some picture frames and decorate my walls with some prints of my photos from Koh Kood. ?️

All I can remember buying is some polo shirts  and she bought some crap as gifts for her friends in the UK. Spent a few hours in there and only got round about half of the market.

2 hours ago, JONPAT said:

If you are there near 8AM please observe the playing of the Thai Anthem.  Don't be an oblivious  dick.

They open at 9 AM

I hate shopping, especially in crowded places.  I go to buy a specific item, know the shop that sells it and the price I'm willing to pay.

In, select, pay, and get the hell out of there.

The first couple of times Thai markets were fun and interesting.  Now I avoid them unless someone I'm with wants to go, or to buy food. I'd rather go for a walk on the beach or around the local area.

The bigger the market the worse it is. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

They open at 9 AM

It happened to me. I must of been trespassing and didn't realize they weren't open. I'm gonna say it was in 2009 but could have been a couple years later. It is good to know it won't be happening to anyone else now days.

4 hours ago, awesum4 said:

I hate shopping, especially in crowded places.  I go to buy a specific item, know the shop that sells it and the price I'm willing to pay.

In, select, pay, and get the hell out of there.

The first couple of times Thai markets were fun and interesting.  Now I avoid them unless someone I'm with wants to go, or to buy food. I'd rather go for a walk on the beach or around the local area.

The bigger the market the worse it is. 

Buggered if I know how you can just come into Chatachack markets, go directly to the shop you want, buy a particular item and then leave. It is bloody huge and takes me ages just to find a stall that I remember from my last visit. Or, I think it is the same stall....

3 hours ago, JONPAT said:

It happened to me. I must of been trespassing and didn't realize they weren't open. I'm gonna say it was in 2009 but could have been a couple years later. It is good to know it won't be happening to anyone else now days.

I doubt most tourists know the anthem.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, yorta2 said:

Buggered if I know how you can just come into Chatachack markets, go directly to the shop you want, buy a particular item and then leave. It is bloody huge and takes me ages just to find a stall that I remember from my last visit. Or, I think it is the same stall....

That's what I do here at home. I have no interest in going to Chatachuck or any large market anywhere in the world.

• Sad 1
  • 4 months later...

I am in general a fan of markets ,at least before my walking difficulties, but the covered markets in Thailand (and Turkey) in summer are far too warm for my delicate constitution.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...