Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Driving in Thailand

On my next trip to Thailand in July. I am going to visit Udon Thani for 1 week. I have made a car hire reservation for the week. I have never drove a car in Thailand. The only advantage that I have is the UK and Thailand drive on the same side of the road. 

My question is, is there any rules that I need to know while driving in Thailand. One thing I frequently see is drivers turning left while the lights are on red. Any other hints and tips that can be shared will be a appreciated 

Sorry I can't give advice on the driving as I have never hired a car to drive myself. If things go wrong you are in a power of shit so I'd rather hire a local to drive me.

But I can highly recommend going to the archeological dig at Ban Chiang if you are into history and wanting to know more about Thailand. You will gain much face with any Thai lady you take there.

I will be taking out extra insurance and also hiring additional extras like a dash cam.

I have visited that place in ban chiang several years ago. It was a interesting place.

Rules are quite similar so you will be OK. Make sure you take a few 100 baht notes to settle any on the spot fines you may get.

Other than that enjoy the drive. I do Pattaya to Udon Than and return most trips by car and enjoy it.

12 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Rules are quite similar so you will be OK. Make sure you take a few 100 baht notes to settle any on the spot fines you may get.

Other than that enjoy the drive. I do Pattaya to Udon Than and return most trips by car and enjoy it.

Thanks for the tip. I think it would be nice to drive long distances like pattaya to udon and make several stops on the way. If I had longer time there it would certainly be something that would do.

One thing is Thais give way to the left whereas in Oz and I presume England we give way to the right. Remember that if at a roundabout.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
7 hours ago, Kev said:

One thing is Thais give way to the left whereas in Oz and I presume England we give way to the right. Remember that if at a roundabout.

So if I am on the roundabout, I would have to give way to someone that wants to join on it?

I watched a video on YouTube and the "Youtuber" did say that when on a motorway you have to look out to left and if a car or truck via into your lane from the left and hits you. You are to blame.

14 minutes ago, tombon said:

So if I am on the roundabout, I would have to give way to someone that wants to join on it?

I watched a video on YouTube and the "Youtuber" did say that when on a motorway you have to look out to left and if a car or truck via into your lane from the left and hits you. You are to blame.

My experience with the roundabout in Pattaya is the Thai's don't have a clue how to navigate a roundabout. They'll sit and wait for traffic to clear the roundabout before entering. Might as well be a four way intersection for all the good it does.

Saw a post recently. Guy is making a legal left turn, fully stopped, turn signal on. Kid on a motorbike not looking clips him coming out of the side Soi. Everyone is ok. Insurance agent arrives and pays the kid. The Farang protests why did you pay it was not my fault?  It is explained that you have a car, you are a farang and if you were not making a turn the accident would not have happened.    For all our criticism of driving here i find the Thais are to polite. They yield when they have the right of way. In America this is a rear ender. I travel the Dolphin roundabout frequently and as Force says no clue. I just go with the lack of flow.

All you need is to have your wits about you and constantly check the mirrors and look left. 

My journeys when in udon thani will most likely be travelling on the highway and the odd dash around udon city.

Another thing will have to get use to is driving an automatic car. I have never driven one and I assume its a lot simpler to drive. Just have to get use to neutral, park, drive and reverse.

2 hours ago, tombon said:

All you need is to have your wits about you and constantly check the mirrors and look left. 

My journeys when in udon thani will most likely be travelling on the highway and the odd dash around udon city.

Another thing will have to get use to is driving an automatic car. I have never driven one and I assume its a lot simpler to drive. Just have to get use to neutral, park, drive and reverse.

driving an automatic is a joy i tried it in Thailand ater 30 years of driving a manual in the uk just remember you only have one leg the right one try tucking your left away hardly  use park or neutral just held it in rive using the brake makes it a lot easier drove rom Pattaya to Kanchanaburi also Phetchabun long drive over 8 hours each way good tip for motorway highway driving stay in lane two or 3 asyou will find the inside lane is damaged a lot by all the hgvs also at most left turn junctions you can turn on red as long as its safe to do  also i you need car hire in Pattaya https://expatcarrent.com/ is highly recommended english speaking great service ...

32 minutes ago, martini9946 said:

driving an automatic is a joy i tried it in Thailand ater 30 years of driving a manual in the uk just remember you only have one leg the right one try tucking your left away hardly  use park or neutral just held it in rive using the brake makes it a lot easier drove rom Pattaya to Kanchanaburi also Phetchabun long drive over 8 hours each way good tip for motorway highway driving stay in lane two or 3 asyou will find the inside lane is damaged a lot by all the hgvs also at most left turn junctions you can turn on red as long as its safe to do  also i you need car hire in Pattaya https://expatcarrent.com/ is highly recommended english speaking great service ...

Thanks for the tips. 

The quality of the roads sound like my local roads, so they shouldn't be a problem.

I will be renting the car from budget thailand as I will be collecting it at the airport. When I did my research there seems to be a lot of rental companies in udon thani both international and local companies.

You need to be wary of motorbikes all the time, you'll often see them traveling the wrong direction on your side of the road and you'll often come across them at night with no lights on on rural roads.

57 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

You need to be wary of motorbikes all the time, you'll often see them traveling the wrong direction on your side of the road and you'll often come across them at night with no lights on on rural roads.

Yep that was something I was thinking about. I am lucky to see one bike on the roads in the UK and that is normally a 500cc blasting 100 mph down the motorway.

My plan is do drive mostly at daytime and avoid driving at night.

Edited by tombon
22 hours ago, Kev said:

I don't know that that is the rule but certainly it can appear that way.... beware of motorcycles especially, entering the main road without looking on your left, particularly on a red light!

Leaving Villa Market very careful at crossing the side walk to 2cd road. Once at the road all clear left/right.  Almost took out an old guy slowly riding his bicycle on the roadway the wrong way. Didnt matter right or wrong way he blended in with the parked cars.  I was to focused on the left after checking motorcycles and pedestrians. 

16 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

Leaving Villa Market very careful at crossing the side walk to 2cd road. Once at the road all clear left/right.  Almost took out an old guy slowly riding his bicycle on the roadway the wrong way. Didnt matter right or wrong way he blended in with the parked cars.  I was to focused on the left after checking motorcycles and pedestrians. 

So check left and right. Then double check and then triple check.

1 hour ago, sailingbill said:

Tom, not a bad idea to look up also. had a snake fall out of a tree at the Avenue.

I hope you wasn't driving a convertible.

• Haha 1