Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 252 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Visa agent vs 800k in bank

Is there any risk using an agent for retirement extensions?

A member wrote he paid £250 a year to an agent to sort everything. The 800k was better spent invested at home (making more the £250 yearly) rather than keeping it in Thai account.

Why not use an agent?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In your example of the guy that can hardly walk, having the 800K on deposit would not alleviate him from going to the bank for the deposit letter. It's actually another checkmark in the positive colum

Ask the agent for help setting up an account. If they're interested enough in your long term, extension to stay, business, I would hope they wouldn't charge for helping out with setting up the account

Why be irritated by what others do that has no impact on what you do? I also think you're making an incorrection assumption that those going the agent route have inadequate finances. While probab

Posted Images

Personally I do not believe so. 

The only risk might be you are 'locked in' to using an agent repeatedly. I know folks who have been getting their extension this way for many many years. 

There might be a future rule change that alters the situation, but that could also be said of those doing it 'legitimately'

I believe immigration will always support this accommodation... it is the way things are done here.

(I personally did use an agent, BUT I do have sufficient money in the bank and I supplied my own bank letter, cost me 10,000 baht, they paid the 1900 extension fee, did me a 90 day report, and no mention of returning after 3 months to show I have retained the funds)

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Chris100UK said:

Is there any risk using an agent for retirement extensions?

A member wrote he paid £250 a year to an agent to sort everything. The 800k was better spent invested at home (making more the £250 yearly) rather than keeping it in Thai account.

Why not use an agent?

Techically you are not meeting the conditions of the visa if you don't have 800k in the bank or make the regular monthly deposits.

That being said I have never heard of anyone having a problem after getting a visa through an agent.

Lots of expats use agents and it is a damn sight easier than queueing up at immigration these days.

• Upvote 1

I've used an agent (Manareet) for the last couple of years, ever since immigration stopped accepting embassy issued income affidavits. Well worth the 12,500B cost to avoid dealing with immigration, and more importantly tying up 800k in a Thai bank when, as you posted, you can earn more than enough to cover the agent's cost by investing in your home country.

Several posts on the subject in this topic...

• Upvote 1

Use an agent. My close friend in Bangkok is an Agent and i can refer you if you like. I don't use him because he is too expensive. Does a lot of hand holding with younger clients. I was at lunch sitting off to the side while he met with a customer. The client asked if he would have access to the 800k loan. I nearly yelled of course not.   But if Thailand is your home have a plan B . I remember when there was a Visa run Van and Kiosk on every Soi.   Gone overnight.   Force replied while i was typing this. Manareet is tops. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hypothetically what would happen if an Agent was busted (lets say this Maneerat) all files collated and your name was in clear breach of immigration law for many years  ??

Personan non grata overnight and dont come come back

If you dont mind the risk than fair play

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

Hypothetically what would happen if an Agent was busted (lets say this Maneerat) all files collated and your name was in clear breach of immigration law for many years  ??

I think you are over thinking this. Until there is a major change in the remuneration of Thai public servants the agents will be key players in the visa process.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

You have a slight but valid point. 

The  Expats would be in violation of rules, there would be no solace in blaming the agent, nor immigration...

• Upvote 3
30 minutes ago, Chris100UK said:

How often do they check for the 800k. Is that part of 90 day reporting?

If you use an agent do you ever need the 800k in the first place or is that overlooked from day one?

No, what you refer to as the 90 day reporting is address reporting and no check on the bank account.  

If you do a retirement extension 'straight', you will have to show you had the 800k for 2 months prior to the application. Then you receive a paper telling you to return 3 months later with the updated bankbook, to show you have left it untouched. At the time of subsequent renewal, it is expected they look for 12 months bank statement to ensure you complied with the previous extension rules... 800k/400k/800k for 3/7/2 months. When an agent does things, you don't even need to attend!

This is how things go for Jomtien immigration, there may well be variations around the country. 

Edited by jacko
11 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

I don't think so. Agents are legal as to current rules. But rules are not laws and can change overnight. The Visa run guys years ago were fine until Immigration said no more. The only ones who were red stamped were the ones who continued doing runs from Swampy.  Even they got one chance to do the paper work themselves, use an agent or get a Thai Elite card. But TIT so have plan B.  My plan "e" is to abscond to my GF's farm in Issan and screw my American passport and Th. immigration. Which reminds me i need to put a western toilet up there. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

In addition to what @sailingbill posted, I've read in a couple of different places, none official, the immigration boss has leeway on waiving the length of time the 800k deposit is in the bank. Thus the agents doing a quick in and out of the 800k in your bank account to keep things kosher.

• Like 1
Worth noting that Maneerat currently charge you more, (2000), if you don't have and account with Bangkok bank. But like everything this could change.
Does it have to be Bangkok bank or do you mean a Thai bank (I have Kasikorn)?

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Odense said:

Does it have to be Bangkok bank or do you mean a Thai bank (I have Kasikorn)?

Bangkok Bank seems to be their preferred bank for about the last year. They will still do it with a Kasikorn account but it will cost 14500 baht versus 12500 for Bangkok Bank. No idea about other banks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Annoying - it is not so much the 2000 THB but the principle of having to pay more.
Any Bangkok bank branches in Pattaya that will let a tourist open an account?

9 hours ago, Odense said:

Annoying - it is not so much the 2000 THB but the principle of having to pay more.

Well you are paying more for an accommodation that we all know is a a bit shady. 

The branch at the top of soi 6 is the one I have always heard of, but you have to imagine the one near immigration, just up on 2nd Rd, is in on things. You might have to buy insurance!

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Odense said:

Ask the agent for help setting up an account. If they're interested enough in your long term, extension to stay, business, I would hope they wouldn't charge for helping out with setting up the account.

Another option if you decide to go with Maneerat, they use the Bangkok Bank branch on Beach Rd. You could stop in at that branch office, explain you'll be using Maneerat and ask them to open an account for you before engaging the agent's services.

Edited to add: Coincidently, just read on another forum a guy who did what I had suggested, asked the visa agent for help to open an account. Agent at not cost to him made a call, gave him a personal note to take to the branch and a short time later he had his account. And as it turns out it was the Bangkok Bank branch on Beach Rd. The visa agent he went to was next to Cheap Charlies on Buakhao.

Screen Shot 04-21-22 at 07.42 AM.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 4
Well you are paying more for an accommodation that we all know is a a bit shady. 
The branch at the top of soi 6 is the one I have always heard of, but you have to imagine the one near immigration, just up on 2nd Rd, is in on things. You might have to buy insurance!

Thank you. I might ask in one of those branches.
I can accept (shame on me) to pay more for the shady part. What would annoy me is paying more because I have an account in Kasikorn bank than I would have to with an account in Bangkok bank.

Ask the agent for help setting up an account. If they're interested enough in your long term, extension to stay, business, I would hope they wouldn't charge for helping out with setting up the account.
Another option if you decide to go with Maneerat, they use the Bangkok Bank branch on Beach Rd. You could stop in at that branch office, explain you'll be using Maneerat and ask them to open an account for you before engaging the agent's services.
Edited to add: Coincidently, just read on another forum a guy who did what I had suggested, asked the visa agent for help to open an account. Agent at not cost to him made a call, gave him a personal note to take to the branch and a short time later he had his account. And as it turns out it was the Bangkok Bank branch on Beach Rd. The visa agent he went to was next to Cheap Charlies on Buakhao.
1238676581_ScreenShot04-21-22at07_42AM.thumb.jpg.d78578ac7681a34722aa71d3d830ba44.jpg
Thanks - unfortunately I still have to spend most of my time on earning a salary (in Denmark) - but good to stay informed.
And there will most likely be others who can use this info.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:27 AM, jacko said:

A few years now but they had wanted to see a long stay visa/extension.  Minor hiccup this year.  Got my statement of deposits from the big office near Soi 6.  Document checker at immigration says where is your certification letter from Bangkok Bank?  No idea what he was talking about.  He gives me a note and says go to the branch on Jomtien 2nd road.  They knew what to do and produced the required letter in a few minutes for 100 baht.  As far as I could tell it certified that I had an open account on that date.

• Like 1

I was in an agents office yesterday & on the notice board was 90day 500 baht  residence cert 1400  O visa 40.000 baht. (correct number of 0000 no mistake)

17 minutes ago, Dave said:

I was in an agents office yesterday & on the notice board was 90day 500 baht  residence cert 1400  O visa 40.000 baht. (correct number of 0000 no mistake)

Well that's an agent who isn't getting much business from any expats with half a brain. The visa price is about 3x the level that some other agents charge.

11 hours ago, tallguy said:

Well that's an agent who isn't getting much business from any expats with half a brain. The visa price is about 3x the level that some other agents charge.

Well does not specify with or without money in the bank....or even whether it includes converting a TR or Exempt entry to a non-Imm-O. All about backhanders these days, even getting a driving licence people are being persuaded to use an agent. 

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Well does not specify with or without money in the bank....or even whether it includes converting a TR or Exempt entry to a non-Imm-O. All about backhanders these days, even getting a driving licence people are being persuaded to use an agent. 

The price is about 3 times what Maneerat charges for extension without money. The first time costs more but still less than half the 40k mentioned in the post above.

• Like 1