Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Visa agent vs 800k in bank

It's Thailand, everything is a scam, usually involving 'public servants' getting a government salary. Nothing will change, part of Thai culture. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In your example of the guy that can hardly walk, having the 800K on deposit would not alleviate him from going to the bank for the deposit letter. It's actually another checkmark in the positive colum

Ask the agent for help setting up an account. If they're interested enough in your long term, extension to stay, business, I would hope they wouldn't charge for helping out with setting up the account

Why be irritated by what others do that has no impact on what you do? I also think you're making an incorrection assumption that those going the agent route have inadequate finances. While probab

Posted Images

5 hours ago, tallguy said:

The price is about 3 times what Maneerat charges for extension without money. The first time costs more but still less than half the 40k mentioned in the post above.

Maneerat were 26,000 for conversion to O and 1 year extension a month ago.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Maneerat were 26,000 for conversion to O and 1 year extension a month ago.

Ok. I thought it was nearer 20k, still a lot cheaper than 40k. And they do your 90 day for no extra charge.

23 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Rhodie, i assume this was a tourist conversion, not O-A?

Yes, TV or exempt. They are unable to do the OA conversion for over a year now. I am on an OA extension that I wanted to convert over a year ago, and it was a no go.

3 hours ago, rhodie said:

Yes, TV or exempt. They are unable to do the OA conversion for over a year now. I am on an OA extension that I wanted to convert over a year ago, and it was a no go.

Thanks, i'm going back to the States for 3 weeks in July. Hate to blow 20k for useless insurance valid for 4 months but hopefully my last trip back.

20 hours ago, rhodie said:

I don't believe you could ever convert an OA directly to O. Only route that I'm aware of is to let the OA lapse, re-enter on a TV or exempt, then get the O in country.

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't believe you could ever convert an OA directly to O. Only route that I'm aware of is to let the OA lapse, re-enter on a TV or exempt, then get the O in country.

3 years ago Maneerat were able to do it for 21,500. They issued a 3 month O visa and then a 1 year extension.  It probably caused problems as they stopped. 

20 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Correct officially.... one had to basically kill off the O-A and do as you say. Although over Covid I was told this was possible, at a price. A lot of accommodations were made over covid.... the volunteer extension might be an example. 

Edited by jacko

I was wrong about the latest rule changes. I had thought those changes would put the visa agents out of business. That obviously did not happen. Using an agent is definitely illegal but it has been going on for many years. Money talks and bullshit walks. 

50 minutes ago, Gary said:

I was wrong about the latest rule changes. I had thought those changes would put the visa agents out of business. That obviously did not happen. Using an agent is definitely illegal but it has been going on for many years. Money talks and bullshit walks. 

Don't think anyone outside of immigration can definitely state if use of an agent is legal, or illegal.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Rawhide2 said:

Hypothetically what would happen if an Agent was busted (lets say this Maneerat) all files collated and your name was in clear breach of immigration law for many years  ??

Personan non grata overnight and dont come come back

If you dont mind the risk than fair play

there is no files collated at Maneerat, you give her your passport , it is returned the next day or 2 with your new stamp (from immigration)

Stamps are all correct from immigration

On 4/18/2022 at 11:48 PM, Chris100UK said:

Is there any risk using an agent for retirement extensions?

A member wrote he paid £250 a year to an agent to sort everything. The 800k was better spent invested at home (making more the £250 yearly) rather than keeping it in Thai account.

Why not use an agent?

If you are using an agent to avoid the 800K then that is illegal and therefore risky.  If you are using an agent, as I do,  to do all the leg work for you, but you still meet the legal financial requirements,  then that is perfectly legal. Don't mix up the two would be my advice 

5 hours ago, PoolHustler said:

there is no files collated at Maneerat, you give her your passport , it is returned the next day or 2 with your new stamp (from immigration)

Stamps are all correct from immigration

The stamps from immigration doubtless are legal but certainly not the route they were obtained !

I saw this Mannerat mentioned elsewhere actually.......could she obtain a 2nd tourist visa following 90 days on the first (including extension) without the guy leaving the country at all ??

Step too far ??

Or just as well to do a 3 day trip to Phnom Penh and obtain it normally ??   Question relates to myself

5 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

The stamps from immigration doubtless are legal but certainly not the route they were obtained !

I saw this Mannerat mentioned elsewhere actually.......could she obtain a 2nd tourist visa following 90 days on the first (including extension) without the guy leaving the country at all ??

Step too far ??

Or just as well to do a 3 day trip to Phnom Penh and obtain it normally ??   Question relates to myself

I think that may be a step too far although they have had the Covid extensions over the last two years where you did not need to leave the country. Not sure about the current situation with these but expect them to be discontinued (for the majority of countries at least) very soon.

I read elsewhere that the multiple entry visas were available again. Not sure if any details but that might be another option for you.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, tallguy said:

I think that may be a step too far although they have had the Covid extensions over the last two years where you did not need to leave the country. Not sure about the current situation with these but expect them to be discontinued (for the majority of countries at least) very soon.

I read elsewhere that the multiple entry visas were available again. Not sure if any details but that might be another option for you.

So on the multi entries (if subsequently available) its just a question of a border run to activate the 2nd one ??

54 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

So on the multi entries (if subsequently available) its just a question of a border run to activate the 2nd one ??

That's the way it worked before.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Probably not, but they likely could have got you a Covid Extension..... 

As land borders open I expect the days of Covid Extensions are limited.

Years ago I used to get my extensions from a company called Thai Visa. Yes, the same name as the forum. It was located on the small soi  at the end of Soi Cowboy.  For several years there were no problems. I was due for an extension and went to the office. There was a big chain and padlock through the door handles. Fortunately I still had my passport. I bit the bullet and went to Bangkok immigration. The immigration officer had a big stack of passports on his desk that they had confiscated from Thai Visa. He checked over my passport and told me that the stamps were legal but had come from Australia and I had no stamps that I had been to Australia. He told me that he would take care of my extension, BUT, if my passport goes anywhere, I had better be going with it.

• 11 months later...

Had been doing my own O retirement extensions based on 65K+ a month since whenever the US Embassy quit certifying income letters.  Got the documentation from Bangkok Bank.  This year thought about using an agent.  One said clearly that I had to have something from my embassy.  When I said that wasn't possible, it was immediately "We can help you with the 800K"  Bye

Made preliminary contact with another agent by DM and said I had the 65K+ a month.  First response was do you have something in writing from your embassy?  Didn't see any need to pursue that one further.

After a hiccup about the format of what they wanted from the bank, today immigration accepted my latest TM.7 based on 65K+ a month with nothing from the embassy.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, nkped said:

Had been doing my own O retirement extensions based on 65K+ a month since whenever the US Embassy quit certifying income letters.  Got the documentation from Bangkok Bank.  This year thought about using an agent.  One said clearly that I had to have something from my embassy.  When I said that wasn't possible, it was immediately "We can help you with the 800K"  Bye

Made preliminary contact with another agent by DM and said I had the 65K+ a month.  First response was do you have something in writing from your embassy?  Didn't see any need to pursue that one further.

After a hiccup about the format of what they wanted from the bank, today immigration accepted my latest TM.7 based on 65K+ a month with nothing from the embassy.

Kinda shows that some agents really don't know as much as they should wrt extension requirements. 

I often read 'my agent told me' as if they heard it from a doctor..... is it possible some agents attempt to steer you in a direction that makes them more money? And that direction is one of bypassing requirements, when you in fact do not need to? 

I don't know anyone who uses an agent to help with income method (I use one to do my extension, with truly having the 800k on deposit).....

I have heard of a few people being sent back to a particular branch to get a letter listing deposits from overseas, rather than ploughing through a full transaction list.... immigration love to impose requirements that make their task easier... but show little regard as to having to send some elderly person on a tour of town in 38 degC heat. 

• Like 2

It’s really shit that everyone on this thread legally qualifies for a visa but we use agents. As Jacko said the agents don’t want to do the income method. The US and UK Embassies are useless.  My friend in Bangkok charges upwards to 80k for a visa but those boys are not expats, Perhaps not eligible and I fear may someday bite us. He is offering me a Permanent Resident option but the cost is high. For me when I move to Khon Kaen I may try to go through the hoops for the 65,000 method myself. I’m not putting 80k here though I respect not everyone has a verified US or UK pension. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sailingbill said:

It’s really shit that everyone on this thread legally qualifies for a visa but we use agents. As Jacko said the agents don’t want to do the income method. The US and UK Embassies are useless.  My friend in Bangkok charges upwards to 80k for a visa but those boys are not expats, Perhaps not eligible and I fear may someday bite us. He is offering me a Permanent Resident option but the cost is high. For me when I move to Khon Kaen I may try to go through the hoops for the 65,000 method myself. I’m not putting 80k here though I respect not everyone has a verified US or UK pension. 

Like you I won't tie up 800K in a Thai bank earning next to nothing. I've also made the decision to skip the 65K/month route as I'd rather leave myself the opportunity to move chunks of money over when the exchange rate is favorable. That decision worked out well as I was able to catch the nice bump up in the exchange rate towards the end of last year.

I have irritated some guys who are using agents. I'm convinced that this is not legal. The immigration rules very clearly state the financial requirements. I am also of the opinion that if you cannot afford to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, then you can't afford to live here. I'm by no means wealthy but I am financially comfortable and don't have to live on a tight budget. Being retired here in Thailand is great "IF" you can afford it. Living here on a tight budget is not a happy retirement.

2 hours ago, Gary said:

I have irritated some guys who are using agents. I'm convinced that this is not legal. The immigration rules very clearly state the financial requirements. I am also of the opinion that if you cannot afford to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, then you can't afford to live here. I'm by no means wealthy but I am financially comfortable and don't have to live on a tight budget. Being retired here in Thailand is great "IF" you can afford it. Living here on a tight budget is not a happy retirement.

Why be irritated by what others do that has no impact on what you do? I also think you're making an incorrection assumption that those going the agent route have inadequate finances.

While probably true for some, my take is the majority going the agent route have more than adequate finances for funding their retirement here. They choose to use an agent as a matter of convenience and because it makes good financial sense not to tie up money that could be earning a better return elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3