Jump to content
Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Visa agent vs 800k in bank


Recommended Posts

It's Thailand, everything is a scam, usually involving 'public servants' getting a government salary. Nothing will change, part of Thai culture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tallguy said:

The price is about 3 times what Maneerat charges for extension without money. The first time costs more but still less than half the 40k mentioned in the post above.

Maneerat were 26,000 for conversion to O and 1 year extension a month ago.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Maneerat were 26,000 for conversion to O and 1 year extension a month ago.

Ok. I thought it was nearer 20k, still a lot cheaper than 40k. And they do your 90 day for no extra charge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Rhodie, i assume this was a tourist conversion, not O-A?

Yes, TV or exempt. They are unable to do the OA conversion for over a year now. I am on an OA extension that I wanted to convert over a year ago, and it was a no go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rhodie said:

Yes, TV or exempt. They are unable to do the OA conversion for over a year now. I am on an OA extension that I wanted to convert over a year ago, and it was a no go.

Thanks, i'm going back to the States for 3 weeks in July. Hate to blow 20k for useless insurance valid for 4 months but hopefully my last trip back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rhodie said:

Yes, TV or exempt. They are unable to do the OA conversion for over a year now. I am on an OA extension that I wanted to convert over a year ago, and it was a no go.

I don't believe you could ever convert an OA directly to O. Only route that I'm aware of is to let the OA lapse, re-enter on a TV or exempt, then get the O in country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't believe you could ever convert an OA directly to O. Only route that I'm aware of is to let the OA lapse, re-enter on a TV or exempt, then get the O in country.

3 years ago Maneerat were able to do it for 21,500. They issued a 3 month O visa and then a 1 year extension.  It probably caused problems as they stopped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't believe you could ever convert an OA directly to O. Only route that I'm aware of is to let the OA lapse, re-enter on a TV or exempt, then get the O in country.

Correct officially.... one had to basically kill off the O-A and do as you say. Although over Covid I was told this was possible, at a price. A lot of accommodations were made over covid.... the volunteer extension might be an example. 

Edited by jacko
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wrong about the latest rule changes. I had thought those changes would put the visa agents out of business. That obviously did not happen. Using an agent is definitely illegal but it has been going on for many years. Money talks and bullshit walks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gary said:

I was wrong about the latest rule changes. I had thought those changes would put the visa agents out of business. That obviously did not happen. Using an agent is definitely illegal but it has been going on for many years. Money talks and bullshit walks. 

Don't think anyone outside of immigration can definitely state if use of an agent is legal, or illegal.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2022 at 9:14 PM, Rawhide2 said:

Hypothetically what would happen if an Agent was busted (lets say this Maneerat) all files collated and your name was in clear breach of immigration law for many years  ??

Personan non grata overnight and dont come come back

If you dont mind the risk than fair play

there is no files collated at Maneerat, you give her your passport , it is returned the next day or 2 with your new stamp (from immigration)

Stamps are all correct from immigration

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2022 at 11:48 PM, Chris100UK said:

Is there any risk using an agent for retirement extensions?

A member wrote he paid £250 a year to an agent to sort everything. The 800k was better spent invested at home (making more the £250 yearly) rather than keeping it in Thai account.

Why not use an agent?

 

 

If you are using an agent to avoid the 800K then that is illegal and therefore risky.  If you are using an agent, as I do,  to do all the leg work for you, but you still meet the legal financial requirements,  then that is perfectly legal. Don't mix up the two would be my advice 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PoolHustler said:

there is no files collated at Maneerat, you give her your passport , it is returned the next day or 2 with your new stamp (from immigration)

Stamps are all correct from immigration

The stamps from immigration doubtless are legal but certainly not the route they were obtained !

I saw this Mannerat mentioned elsewhere actually.......could she obtain a 2nd tourist visa following 90 days on the first (including extension) without the guy leaving the country at all ??

Step too far ??

Or just as well to do a 3 day trip to Phnom Penh and obtain it normally ??   Question relates to myself

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

The stamps from immigration doubtless are legal but certainly not the route they were obtained !

I saw this Mannerat mentioned elsewhere actually.......could she obtain a 2nd tourist visa following 90 days on the first (including extension) without the guy leaving the country at all ??

Step too far ??

Or just as well to do a 3 day trip to Phnom Penh and obtain it normally ??   Question relates to myself

I think that may be a step too far although they have had the Covid extensions over the last two years where you did not need to leave the country. Not sure about the current situation with these but expect them to be discontinued (for the majority of countries at least) very soon.

I read elsewhere that the multiple entry visas were available again. Not sure if any details but that might be another option for you.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tallguy said:

I think that may be a step too far although they have had the Covid extensions over the last two years where you did not need to leave the country. Not sure about the current situation with these but expect them to be discontinued (for the majority of countries at least) very soon.

I read elsewhere that the multiple entry visas were available again. Not sure if any details but that might be another option for you.

So on the multi entries (if subsequently available) its just a question of a border run to activate the 2nd one ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

So on the multi entries (if subsequently available) its just a question of a border run to activate the 2nd one ??

That's the way it worked before.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

I saw this Mannerat mentioned elsewhere actually.......could she obtain a 2nd tourist visa following 90 days on the first (including extension) without the guy leaving the country at all ??

Probably not, but they likely could have got you a Covid Extension..... 

As land borders open I expect the days of Covid Extensions are limited.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I used to get my extensions from a company called Thai Visa. Yes, the same name as the forum. It was located on the small soi  at the end of Soi Cowboy.  For several years there were no problems. I was due for an extension and went to the office. There was a big chain and padlock through the door handles. Fortunately I still had my passport. I bit the bullet and went to Bangkok immigration. The immigration officer had a big stack of passports on his desk that they had confiscated from Thai Visa. He checked over my passport and told me that the stamps were legal but had come from Australia and I had no stamps that I had been to Australia. He told me that he would take care of my extension, BUT, if my passport goes anywhere, I had better be going with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...