Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

When I last went to BKK from the UK 2+ years ago I flew Emirates Business Class for around £2400 rtn. Looking for later this year the fare is around £1000 dearer, not for me thanks.

So I had a look around and had a look at Finnair as they now have the A350 on the HEL-BKK route. The fares surprised me.

HEL-BKK return is around £3,100 in Business plus you have topay for LHR-HEL, I thought this would be cheaper because of the high UK airport tax.

So then I had a look at LHR-BKK via HEL and I can get the flight for around £2,000 although that would be using BA from London to Stockholm.

I will be keeping an eye on fares with Eva and Thai etc but if I can get Finnair Business with A350 for around £2,000 that looks like the best way for me.

18 minutes ago, Gus said:

When I last went to BKK from the UK 2+ years ago I flew Emirates Business Class for around £2400 rtn. Looking for later this year the fare is around £1000 dearer, not for me thanks.

So I had a look around and had a look at Finnair as they now have the A350 on the HEL-BKK route. The fares surprised me.

HEL-BKK return is around £3,100 in Business plus you have topay for LHR-HEL, I thought this would be cheaper because of the high UK airport tax.

So then I had a look at LHR-BKK via HEL and I can get the flight for around £2,000 although that would be using BA from London to Stockholm.

I will be keeping an eye on fares with Eva and Thai etc but if I can get Finnair Business with A350 for around £2,000 that looks like the best way for me.

The flights I saw all took between 24-30 hours.

The one time I used Finnair, the leg from Bangkok to Helsinki on the A350 was fine. The hop down from there to Manchester was horrible, some budget associated carrier (Biz Class by the way). Late arrival and I saw the Lake district half a dozen times so perhaps not their fault. Too  oten if I use European carriers it is the short leg that is the aggravation with rushed connections in madhouse airports. Always had a preference for 2x6hr via the Middle East...... from Manchester you have to change somewhere. 

I did not do the return leg on Finnair due to a family issue.... that led to another saga of trying to get a refund from Expedia!

• Like 1

Finnair is not perfect Jacko, I will just have to see nearer the time, maybe the Russia war will be over and oil prices drop down to enable fares to fall also. There are some good youtube videos of the Finnair Business Class.

Like Jacko if I have to have a stopover I will do it in the M E.I can handle a six hour flight in any seat so I don't need to pay extra for an aisle seat. I am checking the fares with Skyscanner for January next year,I fly from Amsterdam.They are at least €250 more than pre COVID,if I can't afford that I probably shouldn't travel.KLM have said they are going to raise their prices! they are starting a premium economy that looks like it's close to business class,with prices to match.What will stop me booking early is the worry of COVID hitting hard come autumn/winter.I am expecting to have to pay over a thousand euros for a economy seat next January with EVA or KLM,that's with hold luggage and choice of seat,they fly direct from amsterdam.My last pre COVID flight January 2019 I paid €600 with EVA.

I too, like Jacko fly out of MAN, and have tried the connecting European Flights, of which the best is the SAS/Thai connection via Copenhagen, but also the most expensive.

Used Emirates many times, but I don't like changing at Dubai after 6-7 hours, just when I'm half-asleep.

This November I'm trying a new tack, using Singapore Airlines, with a connection in Changi to BKK. I like the idea of being almost there in 1 flight, and managed to get Economy tickets for around £650, which is good for Singapore Airlines

7 hours ago, GeeGee said:

I too, like Jacko fly out of MAN, and have tried the connecting European Flights, of which the best is the SAS/Thai connection via Copenhagen, but also the most expensive.

Used Emirates many times, but I don't like changing at Dubai after 6-7 hours, just when I'm half-asleep.

This November I'm trying a new tack, using Singapore Airlines, with a connection in Changi to BKK. I like the idea of being almost there in 1 flight, and managed to get Economy tickets for around £650, which is good for Singapore Airlines

There used to be stop in Delhi on that years ago, that kept me away! I see it as direct now. I usually like to fly Biz and hence SQ  a bit rich for me. 

Prices are moving! Just checked on the KLM app,direct ams/bkk return €740 Jan 12-feb 7. 25kg bag no seat selection.Roughly the same deal with EVA.No refund so it's use it or lose it.I ain't ready to commit though it's tempting.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, Gus said:

Thats the cheapest I could find using roughly same dates I've used before in November  (Eva not flying everyday so you need to juggle dates)

Clearly on Thai it must go via Phuket first on the inbound sector

Be careful using Skyscanner as they've got somewhat sneaky on their headline fare when you search

These are via Travel Trolley all inclusive obviously

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 09-28-18 Travel Trolley Flight - Search Result.png

Edited by Rawhide2

Same flights but economy......both airlines £2,000 cheaper

Fair play to those that are happy to pay Biz but for me landing 30 metres in front of everyone else is off the scale of insanity in my view

Look at it another way......86,000 Bahts worth of bonking thrown away lol

I'm 1.90m and dont have the slightest problem

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 09-37-16 Travel Trolley Flight - Search Result.png

Edited by Rawhide2
13 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Same flights but economy......both airlines £2,000 cheaper

Fair play to those that are happy to pay Biz but for me landing 30 metres in front of everyone else is off the scale of insanity in my view

Look at it another way......86,000 Bahts worth of bonking thrown away lol

I'm 1.90m and dont have the slightest problem

There is far more to the differences than sitting 30m further forward, and if one has the money, you are not throwing any bonking away whatsoever. 

With the recent horror events that have been occurring in the UK at Manchester airport, there are examples of what happens when you travel cheap. I have had some miserable experiences in Economy with long haul...... and dislike the way you are treated, herded like sheep. long lines etc etc.

The difference in price is excessive though in my mind..... Economy Class should be more expensive, and the burden of profit not be on Premium....

But it is what it is..... 

I was spoiled in my days when I worked, as the company flew me up front.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jacko said:

There is far more to the differences than sitting 30m further forward, and if one has the money, you are not throwing any bonking away whatsoever. 

With the recent horror events that have been occurring in the UK at Manchester airport, there are examples of what happens when you travel cheap. I have had some miserable experiences in Economy with long haul...... and dislike the way you are treated, herded like sheep. long lines etc etc.

The difference in price is excessive though in my mind..... Economy Class should be more expensive, and the burden of profit not be on Premium....

You wouldn't get me near an airport between  April and October and the Christmas new year madness.I always fly to Thailand usually with EVA from Amsterdam after 10 January.Flight leaves at 21:25 from a almost empty airport.Though there is a line to check in but it's civilized.I had to go to my dentist in Amsterdam today,everywhere was busy.

The only sign that there was a pandemic were the odd discarded face mask.

6 hours ago, jacko said:

lol course theres more differences than the 30m in front bit I didnt mean it quite literally

Herded around in economy ?? Cant say I ever have. Have flown 26 airlines to or fro London Bangkok and apart from a really small clam style seat on Aeroflot in 1999 never the slightest problem......mind you Phuket air one way Bangkok Gatwick around 2005 could have gone pear shaped lol in hindsight

We cant use current Covid/Brexit disasters to blame it all on a Manchester situation either

As regards burden of profit on airlines its not accurate.....I just double checked that now

Other way around the premium seats pay a high percentage of the airline running costs always have done and the economy seats are the profit if its heavily loaded

Whether economy is too cheap or premium to expensive its still £2.000 more and that is a large amount of cash for a bigger seat better food and lounge access (which FF in economy can access anyway) most would agree no matter what its spent on

Screenshot from article 26th May

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 05-53-38 How Much Airline Revenue Comes From Business Travelers.png

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, TheFiend said:

I've flown economy and business class and to me business class isn't worth paying the extra for what you get.

If you look at the issue objectively, I'd agree with you. But the choice is a subjective one.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, TheFiend said:

I've flown economy and business class and to me business class isn't worth paying the extra for what you get.

You travel with family, I travel alone.... makes a difference in total  cost.... 

You are also cheap!:P

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

lol course theres more differences than the 30m in front bit I didnt mean it quite literally

Herded around in economy ?? Cant say I ever have. Have flown 26 airlines to or fro London Bangkok and apart from a really small clam style seat on Aeroflot in 1999 never the slightest problem......mind you Phuket air one way Bangkok Gatwick around 2005 could have gone pear shaped lol in hindsight

We cant use current Covid/Brexit disasters to blame it all on a Manchester situation either

As regards burden of profit on airlines its not accurate.....I just double checked that now

Other way around the premium seats pay a high percentage of the airline running costs always have done and the economy seats are the profit if its heavily loaded

Whether economy is too cheap or premium to expensive its still £2.000 more and that is a large amount of cash for a bigger seat better food and lounge access (which FF in economy can access anyway) most would agree no matter what its spent on

Screenshot from article 26th May

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 05-53-38 How Much Airline Revenue Comes From Business Travelers.png

You seem to have confirmed my point about where the profit lies yet still argue?

I have done my share of economy flights too... that is why I do Business if I can get a price I can accept. 

I have also been in cancelled flights position, and let me tell you, how one is treated varies greatly on the class of ticket. I think the staff are told to be extra helpful.... always recall a change of heart when a BA agent realized my ticket was Club World.... the pompous ass nearly fell at my feet.

I don't travel much nowadays so FF benefits are not applicable, and you don't get any on cheap Economy tickets anyhow, Also I don't like having to stick to a particular carrier either, reduces ones choice. Usually blip between Emirates and Qatar, the former is a great flight in Biz. 

I will pull back the curtain one day, tip my glass of champers your way, and look down my nose at you!:D

Edited by jacko
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, jacko said:

You travel with family, I travel alone.... makes a difference in total  cost.... 

You are also cheap!:P

Cheap? No, just different priorities for my spending money.

If I was cheap I'd be paying the lowest fare possible to fly, but I don't. Since Qatar changed from 30Kg and free seat selection on economy, to a tiered economy fares structure with varying amounts of checked luggage, seat selection not-included/included and differing mileage accrual I'm paying the extra to get 30Kg checked baggage and seat selection. :P:P:P

If I was cheap I'd be paying the lowest fare possible to fly, but I don't. Since Qatar changed from 30Kg and free seat selection on economy, to a tiered economy fares structure with varying amounts of checked luggage, seat selection not-included/included and differing mileage accrual I'm paying the extra to get 30Kg checked baggage and seat selection.
A ticket on QA is not as good a deal as it used to be - how much is it costing you extra to go to the higher tier?

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TheFiend said:

If I was cheap I'd be paying the lowest fare possible to fly, but I don't. Since Qatar changed from 30Kg and free seat selection on economy, to a tiered economy fares structure with varying amounts of checked luggage, seat selection not-included/included and differing mileage accrual I'm paying the extra to get 30Kg checked baggage and seat selection. :P:P:P

That seems to be S.O.P now days.I'm with you I pay to get luggage and seat selection.The other problem with Qatar is the flight time,30 hours was not the exception.

6 hours ago, Odense said:

A ticket on QA is not as good a deal as it used to be - how much is it costing you extra to go to the higher tier?

The extra cost will depend on where you're flying.. I've also started using banked air-miles to reduce total cost. Don't travel often enough to collect enough for reward flights but since Qatar brought in using miles to help pay for flights I've spent them that way..I used my miles last time, for our upcoming flights I've used Mrs Fiends.

10 hours ago, TheFiend said:

That is another issue with economy these days, so many options and this seat allocation and extra for checked baggage!

Unfortunately the success of Ryan Air made the old airlines copy their ticketing model.
But we (the customers) must like it since it is where we put our money.

Business class is appealing for long haul if you do t fly regularly and want to treat yourself.

I don't sleep properly on planes. Not upright anyway. I'd like to try doing it laying flat (or as near to) and not waking with a jolt every 2 mins. Often get a stiff neck. I'm knackered when I get to BKK.

Also, eating your dinner with your elbows in your ribs is uncomfortable. The food tray sits there for ages afterwards giving you even less room.

Then the post meal rush to the toilet. Can't spend too long in there without a queue forming outside.

Aisle or window? You are either having to move or ask someone to move for toilet breaks or a stretch of the legs. I always go aisle these days in case.

Always been in rush to get to Thailand but if I were going for a long trip I would consider getting a hotel on a stop off in a Gulf state. Break it in to 2 journeys and get a decent sleep for once.

16 hours ago, Odense said:

Unfortunately the success of Ryan Air made the old airlines copy their ticketing model.
But we (the customers) must like it since it is where we put our money.

Same happened in the US market. Customers clamored for cheaper prices and the airlines delivered with an à la carte menu. Of course then they complained about having to pay for checked bags, seat preference, meals, etc.