Jump to content
Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

We all know flying isn't getting cheaper.  I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to fly from Phoenix AZ to BKK in biz class.  BIZ class means all access to the aisle and lay flat seats.  BTW I don't need BiZ from PHX to say LAX or SFO etc.  My previous travel was typically PHX-LAX on a seperate ticket than one of the Asian airlines via one stop to BKK.  In the past I was usually able to get these LAX-BKK flights for around $4000 and keep any layovers to 2-4 hours.

Right now it looks like my best bets are ANA or Asiana for more like $4600 RT. 

Anyone knows a beter way to travel from here I'm all ears.  BTW I am looking at early January for travel return mid March.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Google Flights for finding the best airfares. Selecting the calendar function shows various prices based on departure and return dates.
image.png

Once you've selected departure and return dates, you can then use the Price Graph function to show prices on different dates for the length of the trip you selected.
image.png

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to look into is routing through other SE Asia connections.

For example, I have friends who WFH in Bangkok and for their trips back to BidenLand they often go Bangkok-Saigon-LA-Saigon-Bangkok. The last one that did that last month got a return Saigon-LA-Saigon in BC for $2500 v. $5000 or so other airlines wanted for Bangkok-LA-Bangkok in BC. He added a short puddle jumper from Bangkok-Saigon-Bangkok for about $100 giving himself enough time, 3 hours or so to make the connection on another ticket and saved thousands he reckons.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I like Google Flights for finding the best airfares. Selecting the calendar function shows various prices based on departure and return dates.
image.png

Once you've selected departure and return dates, you can then use the Price Graph function to show prices on different dates for the length of the trip you selected.
image.png

I have never used Google flights.  That looks intriguing.  Thanks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, VPI78 said:

One thing to look into is routing through other SE Asia connections.

For example, I have friends who WFH in Bangkok and for their trips back to BidenLand they often go Bangkok-Saigon-LA-Saigon-Bangkok. The last one that did that last month got a return Saigon-LA-Saigon in BC for $2500 v. $5000 or so other airlines wanted for Bangkok-LA-Bangkok in BC. He added a short puddle jumper from Bangkok-Saigon-Bangkok for about $100 giving himself enough time, 3 hours or so to make the connection on another ticket and saved thousands he reckons.

Yeah and I apply it in this country.  I look at flights out of LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD etc.  I originate in PHX and book a separate ticket when I finalize my long haul flight.  If it's LAX I don't even get the return flight from LAX-PHX right away cause Southwest air is so cheap I can wait til the last minute if I change my travel.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing much to add. I returned yesterday PHX-Bkk about 4, 000, got first seats in Business. Excellent service as usual ANA. They are now pissing me off with 100% waitlisting even 9 months out on a Award ticket.  They clear or cancel 7 days out. Since im returning next year for my daughters wedding only solution i can see is to book the award flight and pay $5k for a first class seat on Etihad. Cancel if the Ana clears.  But that leaves me with a lot of useless miles.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Nothing much to add. I returned yesterday PHX-Bkk about 4, 000, got first seats in Business. Excellent service as usual ANA. They are now pissing me off with 100% waitlisting even 9 months out on a Award ticket.  They clear or cancel 7 days out. Since im returning next year for my daughters wedding only solution i can see is to book the award flight and pay $5k for a first class seat on Etihad. Cancel if the Ana clears.  But that leaves me with a lot of useless miles.

Not that it saves any money but a heads up on a new airline to BKK from PHX.  I just booked with Air Canada.  Shocks me too.  Not super cheap at $5700 rt PHX-BKK.  BUT, the best part is it is one stop.  PHX-YVR-BKK (YVR is Vancouver).  And it's on new 787-9 aircraft with 1-2-1 seating pods which spec out pretty nice. 

Only negative for you is unlike Etihad at that price it costs to cancel.  Not sure how much but it isn't free. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Not that it saves any money but a heads up on a new airline to BKK from PHX.  I just booked with Air Canada.  Shocks me too.  Not super cheap at $5700 rt PHX-BKK.  BUT, the best part is it is one stop.  PHX-YVR-BKK (YVR is Vancouver).  And it's on new 787-9 aircraft with 1-2-1 seating pods which spec out pretty nice. 

Only negative for you is unlike Etihad at that price it costs to cancel.  Not sure how much but it isn't free. 

I was curious how long the flight is from YVR-BKK. Almost 16 hrs. I get cabin fever and can't wait for the flight to end whenever it approaches 12 hrs in length, and that's in BC. On the plus side, your total travel time of 26 hrs is less than the usual 28 - 30 hrs I endure when traveling back to MKE.

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I was curious how long the flight is from YVR-BKK. Almost 16 hrs. I get cabin fever and can't wait for the flight to end whenever it approaches 12 hrs in length, and that's in BC. On the plus side, your total travel time of 26 hrs is less than the usual 28 - 30 hrs I endure when traveling back to MKE.

image.png

Yeah I confess I may be climbing the walls by the time we land.  I can't imagine what it's like in economy.  Yikes.  But I appreciate the lack of connection a lot.  I know if I take off in YVR I am landing in BKK with no surprises (well, usually). 

I think from MKE it is a decent option.  But unless you are in business I don't know.  Maybe better to fly to Japan and get a break.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to find this flyertalk.  Another resource is always good.   On the layover it's a one time deal.  Coming back better connections.  And I don't mind a bit of time in case there is a delay from PHX to YVR.  Plus I am hoping it's a nice business class lounge with free booze. a

But yeah that was the one part of the travel that added time.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I need to find this flyertalk.  Another resource is always good.   On the layover it's a one time deal.  Coming back better connections.  And I don't mind a bit of time in case there is a delay from PHX to YVR.  Plus I am hoping it's a nice business class lounge with free booze. a

But yeah that was the one part of the travel that added time.

 

 

Though Flyer talk has many whining DYKWIA, weeding through it is a useful tool. Many varied topics. My favorite was "women traveling with vibrators."   A three hour layover in Narita works well for me. Lunch, top Sake and a shower before heading to BKK. Best price Bkk -Phx return about 3700usd but need to book 4+ months out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shooter said:

I need to find this flyertalk.  Another resource is always good.   On the layover it's a one time deal.  Coming back better connections.  And I don't mind a bit of time in case there is a delay from PHX to YVR.  Plus I am hoping it's a nice business class lounge with free booze. a

But yeah that was the one part of the travel that added time.

I used to use flyertalk on a regular basis when I was a mileage junkie and flying every week for business. Great resource. Here's the link to the Air Canada topic on their forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I used to use flyertalk on a regular basis when I was a mileage junkie and flying every week for business. Great resource. Here's the link to the Air Canada topic on their forum.

Thanks.  WOW.  There is a lot of activity there.  Useful for the future.  And to see if there are any pitfalls to avoid in January. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shooter said:

  Plus I am hoping it's a nice business class lounge with free booze. a

 

 

 

Booze is pretty expensive in Canada. At the Empress Hotel in BC, I paid for a gold room to get access to the Executive Club, thinking free booze. There was alcohol available for purchase only and at hotel prices.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...