Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Taxi via booking.com

I got a message from booking.com that because I am a genius I can get 10% of a taxi to Pattaya from the airport.Just curious to know if anyone has booked a taxi with booking.com and how it went.

5 hours ago, yselmike said:

I got a message from booking.com that because I am a genius I can get 10% of a taxi to Pattaya from the airport.Just curious to know if anyone has booked a taxi with booking.com and how it went.

I prefer to have more control over over the quality of the driver and ride that shows up than some random driver that booking.com would send. For that reason I always use Nam's Taxi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As I always reply. I have tried Toom,Ted,Limo,somebody's brother ,uncle girlfriend. They mostly start great then fizzle. Nams has been safe and consistent for more than 5 years. I'll save $3 on many things but not taxis.

• Like 1

Nam's latest prices to the airport. Hard to beat.

There are 2 prices for sedan and SUV Between Pattaya and Suvarnabhumi airport.

1000 baht for small sedan. 
(Vios, Altis or Similar) 
*1-2 passengers with small Suitcases.

1200 for large sedan. 
(Camry or Similar) 
*1 to 2 passengers with large Suitcases. 

1400 for SUV. 
(Fortuner or similar) 
*1 to 4 passengers with large Suitcases. 
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Nam's it is then.thanks for the input.

Nam's is very good - I have used them for years. The pick-up procedure at the airport is a bit different now, though.

The driver does not wait inside the airport with a card bearing your name, as happened in the past. She now cruises around outside. You are given her registration number, and need to spot her close to whatever exit number you are told (number 3, most likely).

If you have a Thai phone number or have the use of wi-fi, ask for the driver's contact details so that you can let the driver know when you are ready.

I did that a couple of months ago, and the driver appeared in less than a minute.

Nam's is very good - I have used them for years. The pick-up procedure at the airport is a bit different now, though.
The driver does not wait inside the airport with a card bearing your name, as happened in the past. She now cruises around outside. You are given her registration number, and need to spot her close to whatever exit number you are told (number 3, most likely).
If you have a Thai phone number or have the use of wi-fi, ask for the driver's contact details so that you can let the driver know when you are ready.
I did that a couple of months ago, and the driver appeared in less than a minute.
Why did they make that change?
I don't want to have to track a driver and I will get my SIM card in Pattaya.
Will Mr. T still wait with a sign with my name?

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Odense said:

Why did they make that change?
I don't want to have to track a driver and I will get my SIM card in Pattaya.
Will Mr. T still wait with a sign with my name?

Reading the thread on Addicts relating to Nam's taxi service, it appears that the change was made in May - most likely for cost-saving reasons, having had a bleak period during Covid: the driver does not have to pay for car parking whilst she waits for the customer to arrive.

The day before you arrive, Nam will send you an email with a photo of the area in which the car will be waiting, a photo of the car, the car registration number, name of the driver, and the driver's phone number. The driver will wait in the car, but sometimes will get moved on, so Nam requests that the customer should wait 5 minutes whilst the driver goes around the block.

Even without a SIM card, I don't think you will have a problem finding your driver. People reporting on Addicts don't seem to have had.

I have no idea about Mr T's arrangements, but have read complaints about reckless driving!

• Like 1

We will see.

I am in no mood to search for a taxi after the flight and dragging my luggage.

But I will try it this time.

I understand that they had a need to save after COVID-19 but I think I would have preferred to pay the parking cost.

Have used Mr. T lots of times and mostly the driving have been OK.

According to booking.com "the driver will meet you at arrivals and take you to your vehicle".I am usually frazzled after the flight and now I am officially old I don't want any messing about.I will check the reviews and probably go for it.Its 1300 and something baht with my genius discount,add a tip so it will be 1500 and that's the rate from the taxi stand.Or of course there's the Bell bus there's one that leaves at 16:00 my flight arrives at 14:30 so I should make that,300baht.

5 hours ago, Odense said:

We will see.

I am in no mood to search for a taxi after the flight and dragging my luggage.

But I will try it this time.

I understand that they had a need to save after COVID-19 but I think I would have preferred to pay the parking cost.

Have used Mr. T lots of times and mostly the driving have been OK.

It was never much fun to drag your cases to the escalator and over to the car park either. But I agree with you that having to go outside looking for a driver isn't an improvement of service. 

55 minutes ago, jacko said:

It was never much fun to drag your cases to the escalator and over to the car park either. But I agree with you that having to go outside looking for a driver isn't an improvement of service. 

I had a Google and there are lots of links for the airport Pattaya run.One had fast track as an option! At least with booking.com you have some comeback if the driver doesn't show.And I know where they live in Amsterdam.

1 hour ago, jacko said:

But I agree with you that having to go outside looking for a driver isn't an improvement of service. 

I found that trying to locate the girl holding a card with my name on it wasn't always straightforward, particularly if you don't carry hold luggage and emerge earlier than the girl guesses you will. 

I have pleasantly used Nam's in the past, but for the last couple of trips, including one from Sukhumvit (Bangkok) to Kanchanaburi), I have used Tans Taxi (see her on Facebook) - another all-girl group, great cars, great drivers, etc. etc.  Oh, they do have one 'male' driver, but could be a she-male, not sure.... Anyway, I have now been converted to them.

Arrived home in Adelaide on Wednesday having just completed two 30 dayers (with 12 day back home in the middle).  Used Nam for the four journeys and all were excellent, as always.  Drivers on time and drive safely.  Will use Nam again next year on my ninth and tenth trips.

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I'm with you on the not fun to drag your suitcases up  escalators, into a crowded elevator and around the garage to get to where the driver parked. I see the curbside pickup as an improvement. With the photo of the car and registration number in hand, easy to spot your ride.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yorta2 said:

I have pleasantly used Nam's in the past, but for the last couple of trips, including one from Sukhumvit (Bangkok) to Kanchanaburi), I have used Tans Taxi (see her on Facebook) - another all-girl group, great cars, great drivers, etc. etc.  Oh, they do have one 'male' driver, but could be a she-male, not sure.... Anyway, I have now been converted to them.

What was the drive time to Kanchanaburi? I've been several times but usually spend 1 night. Son and brother want to go in November but only a day trip. I've seen the tour buses, take the toy train across then shop 10 min for trinkets.  Not my wish.  I would like to visit the Museum and take the long tail to the caves but maybe to much. Google shows 4 hours o/w but i don't remember that long. How was your trip? 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I'm with you on the not fun to drag your suitcases up  escalators, into a crowded elevator and around the garage to get to where the driver parked. I see the curbside pickup as an improvement. With the photo of the car and registration number in hand, easy to spot your ride.

One car looks much like another after 12 hours of free drinks! But I admit the plate number helps, helps me with Bolt. Might depend on how busy it is there and hopefully it isn't 3 deep like drop-offs. Wasn't there an issue with 'unofficial' taxis getting in there at one time though? I seem to recall it was one reason they used the car park. 

3 minutes ago, jacko said:

Wasn't there an issue with 'unofficial' taxis getting in there at one time though? I seem to recall it was one reason they used the car park. 

Probably why they have to move and drive around the block. 

34 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Probably why they have to move and drive around the block. 

I recall it was an issue dropping off too...one driver said to tell them the driver was my wife's brother if he got flagged down....

1 minute ago, jacko said:

I recall it was an issue dropping off too...one driver said to tell them the driver was my wife's brother if he got flagged down....

I recall that as well. It was years ago, probably when they were in the midst of enforcing only authorized cab companies allowed to work the airport, that drivers on a couple of occasions asked me to sit up front so it looked more like they were dropping off a friend.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I recall that as well. It was years ago, probably when they were in the midst of enforcing only authorized cab companies allowed to work the airport, that drivers on a couple of occasions asked me to sit up front so it looked more like they were dropping off a friend.

I would cast an eye of suspicion over the insurance cover in such circumstances

Sounds like you're riding in a private vehicle not a 'for hire or reward' taxi

16 minutes ago, Regyai said:

I would cast an eye of suspicion over the insurance cover in such circumstances

Sounds like you're riding in a private vehicle not a 'for hire or reward' taxi

Yes that point was discussed many years ago on this very forum.

I asked about this and said I didn't like the new system.
I was encouraged to find another service if I was not happy with that change so I probably will.

23 minutes ago, Odense said:

I asked about this and said I didn't like the new system.
I was encouraged to find another service if I was not happy with that change so I probably will.

Sounds rather offhand.