Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

UK to BKK flight prices.

Is it just covid or something else that is making fares rocket upwards. The cheapest for me if I go this month is approx. £1000, or is there something else going on I know nothing about.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:49 AM, sinbinjack said:

Is it just covid or something else that is making fares rocket upwards. The cheapest for me if I go this month is approx. £1000, or is there something else going on I know nothing about.

A basic flight with only carry on,with use it or lose it condition's are the only flights that are close to pre pandemic prices.Up the price for checked bag,seat selection,ability to change dates etc.

3 years ago my daughter returned from Melbourne at Christmas paying $360.  The cheapest flight she can find this year is $1200.  She's deferring her trip for a couple of months at least. 

I flew Premium Economy from the US in July.  Usually, Delta works for me, but when I checked the prices, the cost of a one-way ticket seemed way too high.  $3500, one-way.  I’m not sure why Delta was charging so much, but I found  a Premium Economy flight on United for $1248, one-way, so I went with that.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, yselmike said:

A basic flight with only carry on,with use it or lose it condition's are the only flights that are close to pre pandemic prices.Up the price for checked bag,seat selection,ability to change dates etc.

I find that the cheap option always work for me so that's what I am looking for,but there seems no flights that meet those factors and at a £1000 for a flight I am not going. The most I ever paid was around the £500 for EVA premium economy and I swore I would never use their "premium" service again as it was not worth the £100 extra. Things will either get back to some semblance of normality or my Thai adventures have come to an end. Over the last few years, pre covid, I have paid between £360 and £480 per return and whilst those were generally in April or May I have found nothing even remotely similar.

Edited by sinbinjack
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That is naturally your choice.

I am not sure those very low flight prices will ever return. Even if the fuel got back to the same low price many other things will not and many places will also add CO2 taxes on the flights.

I have decided that the cost of the flights is only a small part of the cost of a visit to Pattaya and that I will not let it prevent me from visiting.

But for a short visit (less than 3 weeks) I will probably not travel in peak season with the ensuing high prices.

2 hours ago, sinbinjack said:

I find that the cheap option always work for me so that's what I am looking for,but there seems no flights that meet those factors and at a £1000 for a flight I am not going. The most I ever paid was around the £500 for EVA premium economy and I swore I would never use their "premium" service again as it was not worth the £100 extra. Things will either get back to some semblance of normality or my Thai adventures have come to an end. Over the last few years, pre covid, I have paid between £360 and £480 per return and whilst those were generally in April or May I have found nothing even remotely similar.

I fly out in November from Amsterdam with EVA,€877 that's €200 more than I would pay pre-pandemic.Around the peak Christmas new year it would be €1000 or more.I am 71 and expect every trip to be my last one.One advantage in paying more is the ability to change my return flight,with the 45 day stamp in my passport and getting the extension I could stay for 75 days.Pattaya is the one place I know that as an old white single European male I fit right in.There is nowhere that offers what Thailand and Pattaya has,so for a couple of hundred Euros more I can suck it up.The gogos have limited appeal I certainly won't be paying any exorbitant bar fines and not using the central heating while I am away will pay for the extra on the flight. 

• Like 4
I think I will just wait till the low season, when I normally come, and hope for some better deals in may and june. 
The prices for April and May looks OK with Momondo now.

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

I have done a little more research on prices and for a month in May-June the prices on Qatar are from £380 to £410, so a massive saving on the £1000 quid for this month . I still can't fathom why this is so much different.

Not really so hard to comprehend: Supply and demand.
High season has always been more expensive. If supply is a bit tighter now after covid that could emphasize this mechanism.

1 hour ago, Odense said:

Not really so hard to comprehend: Supply and demand.
High season has always been more expensive. If supply is a bit tighter now after covid that could emphasize this mechanism.

Airports are restricting flight as well,or are being forced to.At Schiphol they could not recruit enough staff for security so flights were being cancelled some at the last minute.They don't expect any improvement for the next twelve months.Though they have been forced to up the hourly rate for security staff.One of the reasons I booked for November and not the peak season off just after the new year.

22 hours ago, yselmike said:

Airports are restricting flight as well,or are being forced to.At Schiphol they could not recruit enough staff for security so flights were being cancelled some at the last minute.They don't expect any improvement for the next twelve months.Though they have been forced to up the hourly rate for security staff.One of the reasons I booked for November and not the peak season off just after the new year.

At Manchester in June there was massive queues for security but when I flew out 2 weeks ago there was very little queuing. Still took nearly an hour to clear security as one of my bags got flagged for a closer inspection but thanks to a group of 21 Pakistanis who all had not taken liquids out of their hand baggage it took forever forever for my bag to be checked. Why was mine pulled? A couple of camera lenses!!!

I'm starting to hate going through security at Manchester because they are so pedantic. Never have a problem at subsequent checks on my trip.

Prior to going through security was talking with one of the airport staff and he was saying they've now recruited enough staff that the days of the huge queues are in the past.

3 hours ago, TheFiend said:

Prior to going through security was talking with one of the airport staff and he was saying they've now recruited enough staff that the days of the huge queues are in the past.

Could it be that the new staff don't have the experience to know what really needs to be checked, and so are checking a lot more?

Whatever the cause Manchester's security is a total clusterfuck

Check whatever you feel necessary - play it anyway you want

But

& here's the rub they insist on overlooking.......

RESOURCE IT!

On 10/16/2022 at 4:16 AM, sinbinjack said:

I have done a little more research on prices and for a month in May-June the prices on Qatar are from £380 to £410, so a massive saving on the £1000 quid for this month . I still can't fathom why this is so much different.

Sinbin where are you seeing Qatar sub £420 for May/June ??

13 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Sinbin where are you seeing Qatar sub £420 for May/June ??

Just go on Qatar air web site and put in, 10 May to 10 June. I did try to copy the page, but it did not work. prices are from £377.88 and up business £1683.32, and first £3499. These are the lowest prices I could find on that site I have not even tried the cheap ticket mobs as yet.

These prices are from London Gatwick. 

On looking further there is a £1575 business fare but on a 22 hour total flight

Edited by sinbinjack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sinbinjack said:

Just go on Qatar air web site and put in, 10 May to 10 June. I did try to copy the page, but it did not work. prices are from £377.88 and up business £1683.32, and first £3499. These are the lowest prices I could find on that site I have not even tried the cheap ticket mobs as yet.

These prices are from London Gatwick. 

On looking further there is a £1575 business fare but on a 22 hour total flight

Great find Sinbin am astonished at those fares and thought at first there has to be extras on that but you can see from screenshot 25kgs bag included etc

10/5 to 10/6 departing Gatwick which even more astonishingly is a Saturday on the inbound

Edited.....I cant get anywhere near that same days using my preferred agent in fact its £573 with Singapore.....!!

Thats a fantastic price in the current climate. Its got to be a promotion by Qatar and fair play to them

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 03-58-10 Choose a flight.png

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Haha 1

Ouch ouch ouch !!!!

No its not....click through to the booking and that price is ONLY for the outbound flight !!!  You then have to add the inbound price lol

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 04-21-03 Choose a flight.png

Edited by Rawhide2
16 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

If you go Travel Trolley the preferred agent I mentioned before here are the flights same day. (inbound different departure hour)

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 04-22-52 Travel Trolley Flight Detail.png

THAT IS TAKING THE PISS . I wanted a return and that was what I was quoted. I will have to look closer in future . But last time I flew with them the £380 - £420 was the price I was paying.

Having looked, a little more closely, I can get a flight on Turkish for £463 and on Austrian and Swiss for £503 for my dates. Dont fancy Turkish so probably Austrian and Swiss.

1 hour ago, sinbinjack said:

Having looked, a little more closely, I can get a flight on Turkish for £463 and on Austrian and Swiss for £503 for my dates. Dont fancy Turkish so probably Austrian and Swiss.

Turkish are a good airline.

• Like 1