Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What is the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union

I just watched Samoa - Tonga in the Rugby League World Cup.

It was a pretty good match and I got to wondering what the difference is between Rugby League and Rugby Union.

Can the boardies explain it - preferably "for dummies"?

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

There's two versions of wheelchair rugby from what I could gather from the tv the last week.I preferred the original wheelchair rugby when it was called " murder ball".

• Upvote 1

One of the visual differences watching on TV is that in League the scrums appear to be mostly ceremonial.

2 hours ago, yselmike said:

There's two versions of wheelchair rugby from what I could gather from the tv the last week.I preferred the original wheelchair rugby when it was called " murder ball".

I got to see murder ball live once.  Only time I observed up-armored wheel chairs.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, nkped said:

One of the visual differences watching on TV is that in League the scrums appear to be mostly ceremonial.

Yes, you are right. The real scrum disappeared quite some years ago and is now just the hooker feeding the 2nd row where, earlier, that was cause for a penalty.

1 hour ago, yorta2 said:

Yes, you are right. The real scrum disappeared quite some years ago and is now just the hooker feeding the 2nd row where, earlier, that was cause for a penalty.

When were the scrums in league ever competitive. I probably saw my first games on tv in the early 70s and the scrums in league always just seemed a like a way to get the ball back into play as quickly as possible.

Well, before they created the world silly game and players deserted the old separate local club teams, scrums in League (at least) occasionally, saw the non-feeding team win a few scrums when the ball was fed into the front row. But I get your point.

• Thanks 1
On 11/9/2022 at 7:35 AM, tallguy said:

When were the scrums in league ever competitive. I probably saw my first games on tv in the early 70s and the scrums in league always just seemed a like a way to get the ball back into play as quickly as possible.

I have recollections of them taking some time to form up and get on with it!

On 11/10/2022 at 11:31 PM, jacko said:

I have recollections of them taking some time to form up and get on with it!

To speed the game up Rugby League have introduced a time limit to ensure scrums are formed quickly, they have done the same with goal line drop-outs.

At any rate both semifinals were quite good. I was surprised Samui beat England and I think Australia will win the final.

2 hours ago, Odense said:

At any rate both semifinals were quite good. I was surprised Samui beat England and I think Australia will win the final.

Pretty sure it was Samoa.... Samui are a bit small. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the final of the Women's Rugby World cup between the Black Ferns (NZ)  and the White Roses (England).  

Probably the best game of rugby I've ever seen. Drama from beginning to end. A lot less messing around than in the men's games and two teams who were just overjoyed to be there playing.

I won't tell you the final score as you may be able to find the game on YouTube or somewhere else. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, awesum4 said:

I watched the final of the Women's Rugby World cup between the Black Ferns (NZ)  and the White Roses (England).  

Probably the best game of rugby I've ever seen. Drama from beginning to end. A lot less messing around than in the men's games and two teams who were just overjoyed to be there playing.

I won't tell you the final score as you may be able to find the game on YouTube or somewhere else. 

I watched that game too, yes it was dramatic but I wouldn't describe it as the best game of rugby I've seen. The Black Ferns deserved that victory!!!

Really looking forward to watching all 3 Rugby League World cup Finals this weekend. England V France in the wheelchair final is going to be a cracker!!!

Can Samoa pull off a shock in the Mens? Doubtful but I'll be cheering them on!!!