Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Stopover at KLIA options

There is still a shortage of decent air options for Thailand from my neck of the woods. Rather than stay overnight in Auckland I thought that a good option could be Kuala Lumpur Airport. 

I have had a look at some of the options but wonder if anyone out there has experience of staying at the airport. I have no desire to go into KL and only look for a place within walkable distance of the airport. I dont expect more than a ten hour stopover. 

I assume that people on layover like this staaying within the airport can do so without a formal visa but again, any advice appreciated. 

1 hour ago, teelack said:

There is still a shortage of decent air options for Thailand from my neck of the woods. Rather than stay overnight in Auckland I thought that a good option could be Kuala Lumpur Airport. 

I have had a look at some of the options but wonder if anyone out there has experience of staying at the airport. I have no desire to go into KL and only look for a place within walkable distance of the airport. I dont expect more than a ten hour stopover. 

I assume that people on layover like this staaying within the airport can do so without a formal visa but again, any advice appreciated. 

Last time I transited there the place was mayhem, crowded and they seemed to be confused as to which gate planes were at..... I made my connection, but interesting for you, my suitcase did not.  (Sent to my home in a taxi next morning in Thailand).  You can normally find a block of seats somewhere in most airports..... and at KLIA, there is a bar but it took some finding. 

Their is a 'capsule' hotel on the bottom floor in the mall, close to where the buses leave from. Stayed there a few times, not luxury but OK. 

Thanks for the comments. Looking at some options for forthcoming travel there are a lot of options where there is a 10/12 hour lay over in KL. In the past I have found that eating and drinking there on stopover is an expensive proposition and I might have been better to have got some sleep in a capsule for a few hours. 

If you are flying MAS beware of flight changes.

They messed me round last year, changed outbound flights three weeks from departure, then changed back two weeks out except the initial flight changing my stop over from 2 hours to 10 hours. Changed my return flight to include 24 hour stop over at KLIA from a 3 hour stop over while I was mid trip. I cancelled and used a different airline for my return as I had other things to do.

You don't say from where you are starting but via AKL Singapore has a 4 day a week flight leaving at 1:20 am through SIN which should be able to be connected to on a earlier flight the prior day. Qantas has daily flights leaving at 6 a.m., via SYD, no idea if you can arrive for that flight or not.

If you can take MH at 1:10 a.m. you can take SQ at 1:20 a.m. both ex AKL.

MH certainly has more flights especially on the return. 6 vs. 4 but SIN has to be a better connecting airport.

Jim, I don't know if you use Skyscanner, but I have booked April 20 to fly Cathay Pacific from Sydney to Bangkok via Hong Kong and the same way back to Sydney a couple of weeks later. The cost was cheaper than other airlines that provide meals, drinks and good luggage allowance. I had to pay about 64AUD to book a seat, but I don't really bother to do that in day flights, so only paid it for the return flight from Hong Kong to Sydney, where I like a window seat to sleep, most of the way, in the night. The cheapest flights with them are around 600AUD return, if you wish to rough it.