Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Friend moving to Pattaya (or vicinity) in 6 months and wants reliable reasonably fast internet on his laptop.

He is on a tight budget and will likely be renting a cheap apartment rather than a condo.

What are his internet options?

I believe it depends on the building....what might be already wired in or on the street..

You will get complaints and positive / negative reviews about all the ISPs,  It might be best to see what neighbours have... AIS, True, 3BB etc. 

Perhaps look at phone packages first.... or an all in phone.Internet.TV on fibre. 

2 hours ago, Chris100UK said:

Friend moving to Pattaya (or vicinity) in 6 months and wants reliable reasonably fast internet on his laptop.

He is on a tight budget and will likely be renting a cheap apartment rather than a condo.

I and others I know or met all have tales of poor and slow wifi internet in their rooms.I didn't try any wired connections or even if they exist.

The systems are at their limits.I hope your friends doesn't rely on the internet for work or business.

3 hours ago, Chris100UK said:

Someone I know recently bought a mobile hot spot from Tukcom for about 2k baht. You then just need to buy a simcard with an internet package, I think these start from around 300-400 baht per month.

The high speed fiber options usually require a prepayment of one year.

AIS has a wireless gadget you can buy for around 2500 baht that comes with a year’s service. 100 gb per month. The speed is slow, but maybe that’s all that is  needed. If you run out of data, you can add more. I’m using it now.

IMG_0848.jpeg

I have TOT internet package for my computer, fiber fast, I bough a wifi box (from TOT) for 1000 baht so I could use my phone and table. I only pay 525 baht a month.

• Like 1

Cat had fiber wired in the Hallways . Paid a separate fee for a private company to run the line into the condo. Then the CaT techs hooked the box and TV . The guy who installed my IPTV said it was very fast.  Reliable and no problem streaming.   Cat is 1200/month.  I’m looking to get similar in Khon Kaen if anyone has a recommendation.   3BB seems best so far.

5 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Cat had fiber wired in the Hallways . Paid a separate fee for a private company to run the line into the condo. Then the CaT techs hooked the box and TV . The guy who installed my IPTV said it was very fast.  Reliable and no problem streaming.   Cat is 1200/month.  I’m looking to get similar in Khon Kaen if anyone has a recommendation.   3BB seems best so far.

1200B/month seems on the high side. Before taxes I'm paying 600B for True Fiber. For backup internet access and convenience when I'm out and about I also have a True data sim. Cost is about 1200B for the year.

image.png

image.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i549140055-s996286943.html

• Like 1

Force it is high.The data sim sounds nice as im paying 600/month for Dtac in addition to CAT and only use a small amount of the allotted data.  When i move to Khon Kaen 3bb hard wire fiber from the street looks to be 700 to 1300 for 1gbps/1gbps. I am a tech idiot and don't know what that means so probably buy more than i need. The IPTV guy is kind and send emails to his clients to clear this ,download that ,correct this.He then sends me a email saying Bill i know you won't do any of this,next time at i'm at Northpoint i'll do it.    It appears True is also an option up there so maybe i take some time to get educated.

11 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

Force it is high.The data sim sounds nice as im paying 600/month for Dtac in addition to CAT and only use a small amount of the allotted data.  When i move to Khon Kaen 3bb hard wire fiber from the street looks to be 700 to 1300 for 1gbps/1gbps. I am a tech idiot and don't know what that means so probably buy more than i need. The IPTV guy is kind and send emails to his clients to clear this ,download that ,correct this.He then sends me a email saying Bill i know you won't do any of this,next time at i'm at Northpoint i'll do it.    It appears True is also an option up there so maybe i take some time to get educated.

If you've had CAT service for a long time, it could be you're on the same plan as when you first signed up. Like most things electronic or internet providers, cost of the product or service has dropped over the years. Unless you ask, they're happy to continue to charge you the higher amount each month/year. I've gone back to my service provider a couple of times over the years with the result I received a faster connection for less money each time.

As for the mobile data plan, the catch with the sim purchased through a Lazada seller, that price is good for one year only. If you go to True and ask to extend it, they'll charge about 50% more. Since my phone is dual sim, I have one sim for voice and use the 2nd one for data. That allows me to swap out the expired data sim for a new one from Lazada each year. The data sim number will change, but as I don't use it for voice I don't care.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Olded said:

I have TOT internet package for my computer, fiber fast, I bough a wifi box (from TOT) for 1000 baht so I could use my phone and table. I only pay 525 baht a month.

ToT has its issues, but I have used their fiber service for 5 years now and generally its a good service,.  In any event, its faster, cheaper and more reliable than BT in the UK. I have no complaints. I pay the same as you do per month. 

15 hours ago, Pine Tree said:

ToT has its issues, but I have used their fiber service for 5 years now and generally its a good service,.  In any event, its faster, cheaper and more reliable than BT in the UK. I have no complaints. I pay the same as you do per month. 

Comparing to UK and Oz Thailand comes out pretty good!  Coincidentally someone told me how much their Sky costs them in UK, TV and internet I believe... like wow!

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Comparing to UK and Oz Thailand comes out pretty good!  Coincidentally someone told me how much their Sky costs them in UK, TV and internet I believe... like wow!

The family home in Annapolis is paying 3400 baht equivalent/month for internet and TV with less tv than i get here with IPTV. 

On 4/3/2023 at 3:33 PM, js007 said:

If you run out of data, you can add more.

Same setup for me, just did a speedtest; 20Mbps download and 4.5 Upload. The sim is 'Net Marathon' good for a year. You can get the router & sim for 2490 baht as of 2nd April at Central mall. I'm sure the speed will fluctuate throughout the day.

The Net Marathon card can be purchased separately. I use it for Youtube, Netflix, etc... on the Firestick; at same time my phone uses it and the laptop.

I did not know you could purchase extra data when I run out of the 100GB( about 4GB a day usage) nearer the end of the month. How is the extra data purchased? I was thinking of spending another $50-60 for a DTAC yearly sim and place in the 2nd phone sim slot.  Then I'd have phone data unlimited for when I'm away from the home wifi.

BTW, the wifi has bright blue lights that I point at the wall evenings so less light penetration into the bedroom.

2 hours ago, jacko said:

Paying about £70 in UK for Sky fibre broadband (50 mbps) with line rental, basic TV package and sky talk anytime phone package.

On its own the broadband would be £26.99 a month.

26 minutes ago, Chris100UK said:

Paying about £70 in UK for Sky fibre broadband (50 mbps) with line rental, basic TV package and sky talk anytime phone package.

On its own the broadband would be £26.99 a month.

Well my True comes out somewhat less than that, covering basic TV (all Thai... keeps her quiet), Fiber Internet, unlimited (600/600 Mbps), and a SIM card which I don't actually use, that includes some 150 min free call time). 

Edited by jacko
8 hours ago, jacko said:

Exactly.  I was using Sky's NOW TV, with a VPN, to watch F1 and some NFL.  It cost 850 Baht per month and that was a deal , normal price was 1,500 pm.  I now watch F1 on BeIN at 129 Baht per month. Sky is a massive rip off,  as good old Murdoch cornered the market years ago. Lots of alternatives available now.  

19 hours ago, jacko said:

My local telephone exchange is actually on the same street as where I live in the UK but fibre is still not available for me, but still get decent speeds on the old style broadband..... Was with TalkTalk but after they put up my monthly charge to £40 I decided to look elsewhere and sorted a deal for £18 per month on a 12 month contract...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 5:57 AM, Chris100UK said:

My building provides free "easynet.co.th" and it is very fast. The manager does 6 month room deals. The building is both well maintained and managed. It is a few sois North of Pattaya Nua. Soi 27 Naklua road.

PM me if he wants details

On 4/14/2023 at 4:34 PM, hyku1147 said:

My building provides free "easynet.co.th" and it is very fast. The manager does 6 month room deals. The building is both well maintained and managed. It is a few sois North of Pattaya Nua. Soi 27 Naklua road.

PM me if he wants details

He is on a budget so will likely be looking at a cheap older apartment (which is more likely to have slower internet I'd guess?)

Mobile router with monthly contract would seem a good option.

2 hours ago, Chris100UK said:

He is on a budget so will likely be looking at a cheap older apartment (which is more likely to have slower internet I'd guess?)

Mobile router with monthly contract would seem a good option.

I can download a well seeded torrent at 4MBS.

4-5 thousand baht PM can get one a nice room in many buildings.

https://www.renthub.in.th/en is a good info' source.

46 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

I can download a well seeded torrent at 4MBS.

4-5 thousand baht PM can get one a nice room in many buildings.

https://www.renthub.in.th/en is a good info' source.

Is Pattaya under chonburi in the search area for that link? 

Surprised it doesn't have its own heading given the large rental market? 

On 4/5/2023 at 1:55 AM, sailingbill said:

The family home in Annapolis is paying 3400 baht equivalent/month for internet and TV with less tv than i get here with IPTV. 

Most if not all of the IPTV sellers are selling pirated TV. It is hardly surprising that the people not breaking the intellectual property laws cannot compete with that.

I would also use IPTV if I lived in Thailand but here in Denmark they hand out some nasty bills/fines if they catch you using pirated IPTV or using pirated downloads.