Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Where i can buy a mobile

• 2 weeks later...

..... or every street corner, railway station, shopping centre, department store, eletrical shop in Bangkok.

There are outlets selling these things everywhere - how anyone makes money is the real question  ;D

• 2 months later...

A few things to consider when buying a Cell Phone in Thailand.  To begin with the Nokia phones are more expensive than most models.  But you should be able to use the phone in other countries provided you buy a SIM.  

In Thailand the phone I bought does not dail outside Thailand.  You need to purchase a calling card for this and have to deal with the hassle of inputting all the numbers from the calling card each time you want to make a phone call.  

I have heard there are phones that dial outside of Thailand.  Might be something you want to ask about.

The phones work great for incoming calls from anywhere or in Thailand.

You can buy a phone at the airport or easily in Pattaya.  Just ask someone and they will point you in the right direction.  

Also, your phone bought outside of Thailand will not work even with a Sim purchased in Thailand.  You'll get a Network, but it will never connect.

Can Pattaya Pete advise what phone to buy in Thai, how much to pay, should you get one for UK, one for Thai etc.

I want a phone to use in UK to call UK and in Thai to call UK and Thai.

Thanks Pete in advance

You only need one mobile to work everywhere. Just make sure you buy a model that is sold in both countries. Then you just need to obtain the SIM cards for the respective countries.

The network lock for Non Thai phones in Thailand was done away with a while ago.

• 1 month later...
Hey Valentino I have seen you post alot on this topic here and the Nana board so let me ask you a specific question.  Is the Nokia 8310 a bitch to get unlocked in Thailand?  This one is currently on the Orange network in UK and I want it unlocked so I can use  DTAC SIM cards while I am in Thailand.  I do not live in UK and would like to use the phone only in Thailand.  I make about 4-5 trips a year.  Thanks for your thoughts, Smitty

Sorry Smitty, all I can tell you is that it's no problem to unlock in the UK, so I don't envisage a problem in Thailand.

The problems with Nokias in the past were linked to the changing of the IMEI numbers to replicate a Thai mobile. That is not necessary now. Just a simple unlock code. Should take two minutes.

Smitty

When you get to MBK(?) try to find a place that will do it on the spot, rather than have to take it away.

Why pay a middleman?

They'll need a computer and a data cable. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

BTW did you say that you are not in the Uk at the moment?  'Cos if you are say, in London, it costs £10 to get it unlocked here.

Val,

My girlfriend in Nakhon Sawan says that Nokias are selling for 2200 baht there. At current exchange rates that is £33. Compare that to £80 which is about the cheapest you can get a Nokia in the UK.

If buy one on my next trip, do you think I will have any problems putting a T-mobile (pay as you go) sim card in it and use it in the UK?

Regards,

That's something I'd like to know too . How can I be sure that a mobile I buy in Pattaya will work here in the UK with an Orange sim card , for example ? ( I know very little about mobiles )

Derek

Woody, Turbo

Make sure the mobile is 'network unlocked' by putting a One2call followed by a Dprompt SIM to make sure that the mobile isn't locked to a network. If it doesn't register with both networks then it will need to be unlocked. Can be done in Thailand or the UK(£10).

Then, you will be able to use ANY of the UK networks.

'putting a One2call followed by a Dprompt SIM'

What do you mean by this ? Are these Thai networks & do I have to buy sim cards for them ? As I said , my knowledge of mobiles isn't great .

Cheers ,

Derek

I have a Motorla pay as you go with Vodafone; I went to to Vodafone shop today and told them i want to use my phone in Thailand and i think i need it to be unlocked. I was then told all i have to do is call 191 and then go for option 6. You then get a message saying your phone is now unlocked. So what i'm asking is .... is that it, can i now use my pay as you go in Thailand?

I bought a nice Nokia 8250 in Pattaya my last trip at one of the many Phone shops on second road...  They want 12000 baht for the new ones (it is a triband and will work when I get back to the USA).  But they also have a "used" section where I got mine for half price...  I am very happy with the phone, they gave me a new number with the SIM, and all is well.  I took the phone with me to Bahrain, bought a 10 Dinar($27US) SIM SIM card here and the phone works great...  When I get back to Thailand I will just replace my old SIM card as we will see how it works...  It has only been a month so it should still be active I think.  If not, then I will have to buy a new number with is cheap, like 300 baht or so...  When I get back to the states I will have to see which provider I want to use...  

I would highly recommend looking into the used phones...  Many TGs will pawn them and you can get quite a savings...  My phone even came with some cool extra ring tones...

Cheers

Joop