Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Should fatties pay more .............

So you've done your homework, got your flight ticket for a bargain price and the airline has allocated your favourite window seat. On the aircraft everything is looking good, your just settling into your seat and you see him/her waddling up the aisle! Twenty five stones of pure blubber and you know, you just know, they are going to be sitting next to you!

What do you do? What are your options other than arriving in Bangkok 12 hours later looking like a sardine and riddled with DVT as Big Daddy squashes you against the aircraft fuselage?

Quite a bit it seems (the airline owes you a duty of care), but it comes back to the question of if the airline charges for overweight baggage should fatties pay for two seats or should the seats be bigger but more expensive.

Here is a BBC article on the subject.

Should fatties pay more ...............

Tom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make them pay!

I don't think the rest of us should suffer because we choose not to stuff our faces with pies every hour God sends. Also, I think it is an absolute outrage that passenger only got £13,000 - she should have got 10 times that!

Make them pay!

I don't think the rest of us should suffer because we choose not to stuff our faces with pies every hour God sends.  Also, I think it is an absolute outrage that passenger only got £13,000 - she should have got 10 times that!

You might like to know that all large people do not neccesary eat more.Some larger people in fact eat less than thin people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. B)

And then there are those with glandular problems. :D :D

Maybe the airlines should designate a "Fatties Section." That way they could sit next to each other so they can share diet information.

Roy

I think everyone named 'Tom' or 'Niall' should pay double.

Also everyone who doesnt drink tea.

Everyone who doesnt eat Mars bars

Everyone who doesnt eat Jellied Eels or Pie and mash

AAAAAAAAAAAAnd every peasant who eats Black Pudding or tripe.

Me?? Biased NAHHHHHHHHHHh

You think that's bad? I had a guy next to me with the worse bad breath coming home. 12 hours of it. I had to make me a psuedo gas mask. Some people just haven't heard of Listerine.

You think that's bad? I had a guy next to me with the worse bad breath coming home. 12 hours of it. I had to make me a psuedo gas mask. Some people just haven't heard of Listerine.

Stop kissing him then !!

You just cant please some people

It's every persons nightmare,sat waiting at the departure gate looking at every person you dont want to sit next to you,and there is always one that sticks out in the crowd,on my last flight back home there he was six foot six 20 stone never washed in days carrying a backpack that looked like it had been dragged through a pig sty.

when He sat down six seats either side became vacant,just one thought in my mind ! please God dont let him sit next to me on the plane.

I boarded the aircraft, sat and waited, or should i say prayed that every good looking femail was going to sit next to me.

Well I was lucky that he sat four rows in front.

as from that day i now travel EVA Evergreen with my partner ( 2 seats together )

:livid :livid

I once sat next to a Russian woman on Aeroflot, who had really bad wind. Smelt like rotting cabbage. I would have complained but I think the maximum Aeroflot pay in compensation is 20 cents.

Crackpot

Those fat people who eat less than skinnies are all liars, they scoff cakes when everyone's back is turned. As for glandular problems - they are making it up as they are going along.

I chatted to an airline check in girl about this very problem (the computers were down) She said they leave the center seat of three free to they really need to start filling them, fatties are put in the aisle and window seat so having a bit of elbow room and they mark em up with an 'F' so the other clerks will know. This will only work well on non stop flights as they have little or no control over other airport check in staff especialy if they are agents.

But be wary if you are a pain in the arse at checkin your gunna get stuffed.

UKP.

Those fat people who eat less than skinnies are all liars, they scoff cakes when everyone's back is turned.  As for glandular problems - they are making it up as they are going along.

Dont like being called a liar! B) A mouse eats more than I do !!!.

Just be glad your thin.

A large fit person is fitter/healther than a thin fit person!!! :lol: according to my doctor!! B)

And a large person will survive longer in the sea than a thin one :lol: :lol:

I remember this story from when it first came out. A guy I know who's 6ft plus and weighs in at around 20 stone has to make special arrangements to get an extra wide seat when he flies. He also has a bad leg and walks with a stick (he is officially classified as disabled). The hospital could operate on him but won't because of the increased riskes due to his obesity.

As far as I can recall, he had to pay a bit extra for the wider seat. His wife is, by contrast, quite petite.

I don't really see why people who are grossly obese shouldn't have to pay extra for two seats though not necessarily as much as the price of two seats. Might persuade some of them to make an effort to lose some weight.

Alan

Stop kissing him then !!

You just cant please some people

Some people just don't know how to keep theirs mouths closed when there sleeping. Others don't know when to shut them at all.

Some people just don't know how to keep theirs mouths closed when there sleeping. Others don't know when to shut them at all.

Maybe you should take your own advice before dishing it out ??

Gosh your brilliant.... Didn't you know I was refering to you?

I actually realised you werent referring to me so thought I should point out your problem

Another service from the caring Crackpot

I actually realised you werent referring to me so thought I should point out your problem

Another service from the caring Crackpot

And what problem is that?

And what problem is that?

The problem of you not realising that you were referring to me when I wasnt and when I was actually referring to someone else and you mistaking that point thinking I was referring to you when I pointed out that I knew you werent.

Are we clear ?

ARE WE CLEAR !!!

The problem of you not realising that you were referring to me when I wasnt and when I was actually referring to someone else and you mistaking that point thinking I was referring to you when I pointed out that I knew you werent.

Are we clear ?

ARE WE CLEAR !!!

Am I making you angry? You're starting to sound like a Marine drill sergeant in the vain of Sgt Carter, or R. Lee Ermy.

Am I making you angry? You're starting to sound like a Marine drill sergeant in the vain of Sgt Carter, or R. Lee Ermy.

No

It was Jack Nicholson in .....in.........in....... sod it I forgot the name of the film....the one with Tom Cruise and Demi Moore

" I want the truth"

" You cant handle the truth"

" did you order a code red"

" You bet your arse I did"

Guys, great thread I laughed my ass off. Just to play devils advocate; If we have a fat surcharge shouldn't there be an option for a thin person (say under 145 lbs. or 60 Kg) to qualify for a discounted fare if they volunteer to sit next to a passenger that is overweight?

As far as sitting next to fragrently challenged passengers, maybe the SARS masks weren't such a bad thing. Just a couple of thoughts.

PS Crackpot the movie you are referring to is one of my all-time favorite movies "A few Good Men".

Cheers Guys

really helps having "elite" status.

always select ile seating in the two seat emergency row.

because I am over 2 meters in hieght I'm wondering if they are foing to also impose a added "volume tax"