Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

So how does this work then?

I've booked, and paid in full, flights for a very short trip in May and again for week in June, both with BA.

Will I get hit with the surcharge or does it only apply to new bookings?

Think it only applies to new bookings. QANTAS are also imposing a similar surcharge, which they claim is due to the cost of aviation fuel having increased by something like 60% in the last 12 months.

I'll be interested to see if this surcharge is removed when the cost of oil falls back again.

Alan

Think it only applies to new bookings. QANTAS are also imposing a similar surcharge, which they claim is due to the cost of aviation fuel having increased by something like 60% in the last 12 months.

I'll be interested to see if this surcharge is removed when the cost of oil falls back again.

Alan

I'll be waiting to see that pig flying past the window too !!!

Air New Zealand are also increasing their airfares due to aviation fuel costs.

Already paid for my tickets on Thai Air so no worry.

Richard Branson was interviewed on Breakfast television on the BBC this morning and he was asked whether his airline, Virgin, had any plans to follow suit. Although he did not specifically say, Yes, he did refuse to rule out bringing in a similar surcharge. So does that mean yes, but I'll call it something else just to confuse people?

:banghead

Alan

Its bloody ridiculous really

We are getting shafted left right and center.

I can fly to Limoges from Stansted for £9.99 each way

Problem is the blody tax is over 30 quid.

The ferry is too damned expensive now.

I wont use the Tunnel

Talking about taxes, was there not talk about them being increased? Or was this just some of the environmentalists trying to make air traffic too expensive for us mere mortals?

I'm all in favour of protecting the environment but people still have to travel and flying is still the best way of travelling long distances. The taxes on fares isn't too dissimilar in some ways from the exhorbitant taxes on petrol (and I don't own a car). It is a sure fire way of making plenty of money for the Treasury!

Alan

Alan,

The "taxes" are actually made up by various taxes, fees and charges, namely:

Air Passenger Duty

This is an excise duty (known sometimes as the Departure Tax) levied by the UK Government and collected from airlines by Customs and Excise. Details concerning the Air Passenger Duty (APD) can be found on the HM Customs and Excise website. On “paper” tickets it is usually shown in the "tax/fee/charge" box* with the code GB. A journey in economy class to LOS attracts GBP20 in APD.

UK Passenger Service Charge

In 1999 most airlines decided to separate from the fare the per-passenger element that they pay to UK airports for the use of the airport's passenger facilities. This is known as the UK Passenger Service Charge. On “paper” tickets it is usually shown in the "tax/fee/charge" box* with the code UB. It is not a government-imposed tax.

Insurance and security surcharges

Many airlines levy a charge per passenger to cover increased costs of insurance and security. On “paper” tickets it is usually shown in the "tax/fee/charge" box* with the code YQ or YR. Such surcharges are not a government-imposed tax.

Other taxes, fees and charges

On international flights passengers are also likely to incur taxes, fees and charges levied by other States as well as Passenger Service Charges relating to the destination airport. These will vary by destination and are too numerous to list.

* Where the number of taxes, fees and charges exceeds the number of boxes on a "paper" ticket, some will be shown collectively with the code "XT". A breakdown of the taxes, fees and charges making up this XT total should appear in the fare calculation box on the ticket.

Tom