Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi all,

I'm looking for a hotel for a 5-week trip over Christmas;

I'm going to be in town for a couple of weeks from June 7 and for something to do between drinks, golf and the ladies, plan to "audition" hotels to find a good one for Christmas. I'll pay a deposit while I'm in town, which should simplify things - I hate using credit cards on the net, especially with Thai hotels. Doing it this way has to beat booking a hotel that I've only seen over the net! I've looked at the hotel reviews but there are so many that I don't know where to start, hence this request.

In June I'm planning to stay at the Penthouse Hotel, I love the place and it's perfect for a couple of weeks of fun. BUT, I find it too "full on" for longer trips, I just can't relax there, there's always noise and staff knocking on the door.

I'm hoping that some of you can help me make a list of hotels worth looking over.

The hotel must have;

A big, strong bed - I'm tall & fat,

A lift - elevator to you Americans,

A shower that isn't over the bath,

A pool,

A quiet location - or be tall enough for the room to be over all the noise & flashing lights,

A room safe or reception safety deposit box,

Guest friendly,

ID checks for my guests,

Good security,

On the bahtbus route or at least not too far away - no ½ hour taxi rides.

I'd like;

A high room with a view,

A decent bar in the hotel,

A room safe,

Walking distance from Pattayaland/Walking Street

Good TV - hey, sometimes I like a quiet few hours to recharge.

I don't want;

Noise,

A "family" hotel - I'd rather be among folk who're there for the same thing that I am,

Chinese tour groups - bad experience last Christmas at Pattaya Centre Hotel.

I'm looking to pay about 1,000-1,500 Baht a night - bearing in mind that I'll be booking for 5 weeks, that should give me a lot of choice. Yes, I know that I can get an acceptable hotel cheaper, it's my main holiday and I don't mind paying for quality.

I'm definitely going to look at the Residence Garden, any more suggestions please?

Big Brian

BB,

All of your criteria in the "must have" dept are met by the Sandy Springs on Soi 13 bar one. To my knowledge, they don't have separate shower cubicles so you are stuck with the over the bath method. However, being a shower afficionado myself, I can assure you that the water pressure is good and the temperature constant. The latter is one of my bugbears - I hate going from boiling to freezing every few seconds as happens in some hotels, depending on how many people are using the showers at any given time.

All else is covered and then some. Top hotel. Well within your price range most of the year but don't know if, or by how much, they jack their rates up over xmas.

On a separate note, if your arrive on the 7th (as I do) then there is a party to be had if you have no special plans for that evening. :unsure:

See my Mar04 trip report which will be forthcoming...........

Cheers

Pie

P.S. Sorry (edit mode) - I should add that the ID checks is "up to you" in my experience. I've seen them ask but they have never asked me (my personal pref).

Sounds like the Residence Gardens would float your boat.

Big Brian,

The Residence Garden would fit apart from the location. I love the hotel but, if like me, you want to change clothes during the day or drop some stuff off back in your room, then having to go back to the RG via baht bus can be a pain in the arse.

Last year the RG would do a monthly rate of Bt30,000 (so effectively Bt1000 per day) but they do load the rate over Xmas and I know Ib has some of his friends over from Scandi land.

The Sandy is another but I found it a bit noisy and the staff were shit. Even the suites didn't rock my boat.

If you like the location, try the Flippers or Eastiny on Sois 7&8 as every fucker there is out to shag TGs.

Thanks guys.

So for I've got the RG, SS, Flippers & Eastiny to look over the first two are favourites on paper - well, screen anyway. I'm sure that I can add a couple more once I'm over there.

Incidentally, torrenova, I gather that you're a bar owner who's honourable enough not to advertise here (unlike one or two others). If you PM me the address I'll drop in for a cold one when I'm over. scif61A.gif scif61A.gif

And Pieman, I'll look out for your Mar 04 trip report. I should get to Pattaya about 19:00ish on the 7th so, after a shower, change, and quick beer or three at my Pattaya local I'll be going hunting, any party invites are always welcome. scifE63.gif

Brian,

If you can modify your requirement about within walking distance of Walking St to baht bus ride, then in June check out Sabai Lodge (Soi 2), Sunshine Vista, (Soi 3) and Bella Villa Prima (Soi 4). Although only 3 go-gos in the immediate area, plenty of beer bars, soapies and Soi 6 activities nearby.

Emil

Brian,

If you can modify your requirement about within walking distance of Walking St to baht bus ride, then in June check out Sabai Lodge (Soi 2), Sunshine Vista, (Soi 3) and Bella Villa Prima (Soi 4). Although only 3 go-gos in the immediate area, plenty of beer bars, soapies and Soi 6 activities nearby.

Emil

Thanks Emil, I'll put them on my list.

This search is going to get me to parts of Pattaya that normally don't go to. Not a bad thing really, some trips I get home and realise that I haven't been in a single new bar or done anything new at all! It's amazing to me just how fast I discard all of my usual habits and fall into the "Pattaya mindset" as soon as I hit town.

Well, new pussy maybe. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks for the help, RG it is, just paid the deposit.

Some of the other suggestions look OK, rooms are certianly OK but RG is the sort of place where I can see myself chilling for a day or so when I need to recharge the batteries. Only 6 months to go. What am I saying, I'm still there!!!! Soi 6 here I come.