Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Mobile phones and SMS in Thailand

Minimum requirements; GSM 900 or PCN 1800 compatibility. (US travellers take note).

Needs to be unlocked from your current network if you bought it as part of an airtime package.

Can be done in Bkk,(for small remittance) if not in your country.

PrePay(No contract) SIM card info;

With DTAC GSM/PCN 1800(HappyDprompt )  the starter kit is 400 baht with 100 baht worth of calls with a validity of 40 days.

Their new recharge cards have a much more limited airtime validity period.

Call charges are 5 baht per minute, with per second billing.

In summary, call charges are 5 baht for the first 2 minutes and then 2.5 baht thereafter. You can also choose a time slot where the 2.5 baht price kicks in immediately. International SMS is 3 baht per message, instead of the standard 9 baht. Grab 'em while you can. Upgrade from standard DPROMPT SIM is 30 baht or a new SIM is 400 baht containing 100 baht of calls. Per second billing after the first 30 seconds.)

MBK Centre in Bangkok will net further price reductions in terms of the SIM card.

AIS GSM 900(One2call)  is more expensive for the starter kit, 800 baht.(Though can be found cheaper at outlets in the MahBoonKhrong Centre in Bangkok.

From 4 baht to 8 baht per minute. No per second billing.

If you are going off the beaten track, coverage may be better. Otherwise.......

They have a promotion running at the moment called 'Freedom Plus'.(May no longer be available)

The thrust is this; Purchase a refill card and receive double the value but half(or less)  of the airtime. ie;

Buy a 300 baht refill valid for 30 days and receive 600 baht worth of calls valid for 15 days.(Calls work out at 2.5 baht per minute) Domestic SMS at 2 baht. International SMS I'm not sure. I guess between 4.5 and 9 baht.

Switching to Freedom Plus, you lose any stored airtime you had previously.(You can switch between Freedom and their standard service for a fee. If you switch back to the standard service, you retreive previously stored airtime)

Orange PCN 1800(Just Talk) also available and is the cheapest for calls. As little as 1.5 baht per minute and per second billing.

SIM card comes with 100 baht worth of calls with another 200 baht bonus when you top up for the first time.

10 free SMS per month.

http://www.orange.co.th/english/join/just.htm

http://www.orange.co.th/english/join/just_kit.htm

http://www.happydprompt.com/en/index.html

http://www.dprompt.co.th/eng/index.htm

http://www.one-2-call.com/One2Call/th/scri...lang=eng&menu=2

SMS

If you are hoping to keep in touch with your 'tirak' after you leave and she has a Dprompt or DTAC mobile, then you can use this utility: https://sonic2.tac.co.th/bp3/bin/Index?lang=E

Make sure yourself or herself registers before you leave Thailand though. This will afford you 50 free txt messages per month via the internet to a Dprompt mobile in Thailand.

If your 'tirak' has an AIS or One2Call mobile, you can register her mobile by sending a blank txt message(optionally, you can select a PIN number of your choosing) to 900931(from her mobile). Alternatively, you can call *931. Then, you can use this utility to send her messages through the web: http://www.ais900.com/gsmweb/ 

(Note that there is a charge of 1 - 2 baht to her mobile for each txt msg received) It might be a good idea to buy a couple of recharge cards before you leave and to release the numbers to your 'tirak' at the appropriate time.

Another way to send SMS to Thailand is to use Yahoo Messenger's SMS service. It's free.

Download here: http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/downl...structions.html

For International calls via the mobile networks, here are the links with the options and costs for calling direct;

http://www.cat.or.th/eng/telecom_oversea_e..._efone_eng.html

http://www.cat.or.th/eng/comparision.html

GPRS(for sending email or surfing the internet via handset, PDA or laptop computer.

DTAC/HappyDprompt: 0.10 baht per kb

DTAC/HappyDprompt GPRS

AIS/One2Call

mobilelife

GSM Advance

As with all AIS products, buyer beware. Confirm prices.

and Orange to follow..

Have fun!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the good advice.  I have a couple of questions:

#1 - I have two Nokia Phones purchased in the Philippines.  I get a Network in Thailand, but they didn't work with the SIM I purchased.  My guess is the phones are locked.  Was told I could get them unlocked in Bangkok at the airport.  Tried to do this but they wouldn't help me.  Tried in Pattaya, no luck.  Do you know any place in Pattaya that can help?

#2 - I purchased a Motorola phone in Thailand, not sure of the plan.  The DTAC PCN 1800 looks like the one I should have bought since last time I went back my SIM Pack didn't work any longer even though I had over 2000 baht unused.  The plan I had only allowed me to place calls in Thailand, had to buy a calling card to make International calls, do any of the plans you suggest allow International calls?

Thanks,

BigDog

Second question first; things have changed rapidly in the prepaid market and now you can make calls direct from your mobile. Dprompt and Orange are enabled to do this.  Not sure about One2Call. Orange charges at Communication Authority of Thailand rates plus 7% VAT. Not sure of the rate for Dprompt aand One2Call.

Click on the links for info on how to do this. Normally involves dialling a short code before your international number.

The first question I haven't enough detail to answer thoroughly.

"#1 - I have two Nokia Phones purchased in the Philippines.  I get a Network in Thailand, but they didn't work with the SIM I purchased.  My guess is the phones are locked.  Was told I could get them unlocked in Bangkok at the airport.  Tried to do this but they wouldn't help me.  Tried in Pattaya, no luck.  Do you know any place in Pattaya that can help? "

What do you mean by, "I get a network in Thailand"?  It's probable the phones are network locked. As Nokias they should be simple enough to unlock.

I suggest you take a walk up South Pattaya Road, on the other side of the road from the Day & Night places. There should be a mobile telephone shop or two there. Stroll in and tell then you want to unlock your mobile so that you can put your DTAC or whatever card in. Shouldn't cost more than 300 baht.

The more 'official' the shop the less likely they will help you.

They need to press a lead onto a spot beneath the battery, and run a short computer program. Shouldn't take more than a minute or so. No need to dissect the phone.

I've had the same as #1. You see the name of the network on the display of the phone. But calls made from the phone do not result in a connection. I too had to buy a local phone to make it work.

This symptom does not seem network-related. I tried the phone with a different network in my home country and all calls went ok. Only in Thailand did I receive this strange behaviour.

I've had the same as #1. You see the name of the network on the display of the phone. But calls made from the phone do not result in a connection. I too had to buy a local phone to make it work.

This symptom does not seem network-related. I tried the phone with a different network in my home country and all calls went ok. Only in Thailand did I receive this strange behaviour.

That does souund strange. Was this recently?  Could it be that you had a single band phone? A trip to MBK normally solves those problems.

It was a dualband phone (Nokia 3510). Tested it on 900 and 1800 band networks at home.

The problem occurred september 2002. Fairly recent. As I use the phone at home I decided to buy the cheapest Nokia (3100)

biga

Hi  All,

Seems like an appropriate place to mention that I have a new fully unlocked Motorola P7389 TRI BAND (900-1800-1900) mobile for sale. This phone works fine in Thailand and most other places in the world. Priced for a quick sale at b3500 or negociable. Phone was brought with me new from the US in June as a backup and never needed. Also available seperately is a SIM card with a very good (easy to remember, good for business) number. If interested please leave me a private message here or at diago2k2 [at] yahoo.com for a prompt reply. Thanks for you  time.

diago

Pete, sorry if this is not allowed here. Please delete if in violation of board policy and accept my appologies.

The last time I tried my Nokia phone was Nov. 2001.  So things may have changed since then.  I'll be back in Jan. 2003, so hopefully, with a new SIM, my phone will work in Thailand and this time I'll be able to make International calls.  

BigDog

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from Thailand a week ago and I used AIS (one 2 call) system.  Let me clear up a few things the English version of there site is here http://www.one-2-call.com/One2Call/th/scri...lang=eng&menu=2  (that's the starter kit page) and there card system goes like this 300 baht for 30 days 500baht for  80 days and 80 baht for 100 days .  My starter kit cost me a total of 800 baht and included 500 baht worth of calls.  The other good thing I liked about AIS and they all might do this is you can buy there prepaid phone cards at any 7-11.  Which is a good thing if you run out of minutes while making those late night plans.  Also my voice mail instructions were in English as well as the automated call time checker. .  The other thing to watch for is some of the services the lower rates are only if you sign a contract...

With One2call you can make international calls. Not exactly dirtcheap but its no problem.

I think you have to call their callcenter to make them change everything to english but thats no problem.

I have a Motorola V70 on a standard Orange contract paying no special charge for international services.  I wasn't sure if it would work but whilst sill at BKK airport I got a very nice text welcoming me to Thailand and from then on had no problems.  I also saw hundreds of billboards for Orange all over BKK.

Prices as follows:

text to other mobile in Thailand or uk = £0.214

call to other mobile in Thailand  = £1.106 per min

call to UK                                    = £1.106 per min

My opinion stick to text if possable calls cost a fortune.

Daniel

I am using a SamsungSGH-R225M which T-Mobile assures me that it will work in both Bangkok and Pattaya. The rate is supposed to be 1.99 a minute which may be a bit exorbitant, I don't know. It's not that I'll be doing a lot of calling in Thaliand, but rather just need to be reachable without anyone knowing exactly where I am (oh what a tangled web).

Has anyone has any experience with the afforementioned T-Mobile? Thanks for the input.

sf_knight

I just got back from Thailand a week ago and I used AIS (one 2 call) system.  Let me clear up a few things the English version of there site is here http://www.one-2-call.com/One2Call/th/scri...lang=eng&menu=2  (that's the starter kit page) and there card system goes like this 300 baht for 30 days 500baht for  80 days and 80 baht for 100 days .  My starter kit cost me a total of 800 baht and included 500 baht worth of calls.  The other good thing I liked about AIS and they all might do this is you can buy there prepaid phone cards at any 7-11.  Which is a good thing if you run out of minutes while making those late night plans.  Also my voice mail instructions were in English as well as the automated call time checker. .  The other thing to watch for is some of the services the lower rates are only if you sign a contract...

mrt

Thanks for that link. Wasn't that easy to find. Dprompt recharge cards are also available at 7-11 and any value lasts for 100 days, unlike the One2Call system.

Also, with the Dprompt system, you can send & receive emails with a standard non WAP mobile.

It's my preference, though I'll always post  the alternatives so people can make up their own minds.

I have a Motorola V70 on a standard Orange contract paying no special charge for international services.  I wasn't sure if it would work but whilst sill at BKK airport I got a very nice text welcoming me to Thailand and from then on had no problems.  I also saw hundreds of billboards for Orange all over BKK.

Prices as follows:

text to other mobile in Thailand or uk = £0.214

call to other mobile in Thailand  = £1.106 per min

call to UK                                    = £1.106 per min

My opinion stick to text if possable calls cost a fortune.

Daniel

BTW, note that those charges do not include VAT with the possibility of an added charge to the text messaging cost of the price of a normal UK text. So each txt could cost around £0.35p With calls in Thailand and to the UK £1.30. Receiving a call is £0.80p per minute.

The point here being that we are advocating having your mobile 'network unlocked' in the UK(£10) or in Bkk(MahBoonKhrong Centre) and then placing a Thai SIM inside for MUCH reduced call charges. Free to receive, 5 baht(£0.08p) for national and maybe 65 baht(£1) for calls to the UK from Thailand.

No damage should be done to your mobile. A code must be found and entered. it will still work perfectly with your UK network provider, with the added bonus that you can place any of the others SIM cards in too.

I am using a SamsungSGH-R225M which T-Mobile assures me that it will work in both Bangkok and Pattaya. The rate is supposed to be 1.99 a minute which may be a bit exorbitant, I don't know. It's not that I'll be doing a lot of calling in Thaliand, but rather just need to be reachable without anyone knowing exactly where I am (oh what a tangled web).

Has anyone has any experience with the afforementioned T-Mobile? Thanks for the input.

sf_knight

See above answer to Daniel Budd. Though, of course, if you don't want anyone to know where you are, you'll just have to suffer T Mobile exorbitant costs.

mrt

Thanks for that link. Wasn't that easy to find. Dprompt recharge cards are also available at 7-11 and any value lasts for 100 days, unlike the One2Call system.

Also, with the Dprompt system, you can send & receive emails with a standard non WAP mobile.

It's my preference, though I'll always post  the alternatives so people can make up their own minds.

valentinoxxx,

Yes it took me awhile to figure it out .  If you go to the site you see that there's a little circle on the top right hand corner .  Well you click that and it changes the site too either English or Thai.  I guess that made since to the designer versus the standard CLICK HERE.  ???   ;D

I will try Dprompt when I go back it sounds like it might be a winner I like the 6 sec billing after the first min..I could save a couple bucks that way (last trip I spent 4300 baht in cards   :'(  )  But I did make a couple of international calls.   I have a couple questions for you tough since you use Dpromt I went to the site and I can't find this information.  If I  receive an international call do I have to pay(some international surcharge) to receive it or is it still free like local incoming calls.  Also what is the cost to send and receive SMS?

Everyone,

valentinoxxx is right from my understanding this post was about if you are able to use a Thai carrier with a non Thai phone.  

I just bought my phone for that specific reason.  

IMO it's a lot more fun being connected while in LOS.

There are to many reasons to name.   and I'll tell you this I'm sure a Thai girl would rather call your local Thai number than your international number.   ;D

mrt

AIS site certainly confounded me.

Sorry to have taken so long to reply.

DPROMPT

No charge for receiving calls, national and international or for receiving SMS.

3 baht for sending national SMS, 9 baht for sending  international SMS.

3 baht for sending EMAIL via SMS  2 baht for receiving EMAIL via SMS

5 baht for all national calls

International calls at CAT rates + 7% VAT

Your email address would be d09*******@dtac.co.th

Registration for email . Go to 'write messages' as if to send a txt message, enter  R PinCode BirthDate  

ie: r 1234 01121975  and then send to 18898 (Keep the spaces as I have demonstrated)

To send email; Go to 'write messages' enter email address message Leave a space between the email address and the message

ie.   jojo@hotmail.com Hi honey where are you? Then send to 18999

Once you have registered you can login to check and use your email account here; http://webmail.dtac.co.th/

login: d09*******@dtac.co.th  using your pin as your password

Then you can learn to change settings, like an alert when you receive email and/or forwarding short emails to the mobile.

No need for a WAP phone for this service.

Have fun

sf_knight

BTW, if from the UK and you need a UK number to 'diguise' your location, Virgin Mobile is the cheapest option.  £1 to call UK, £0.70p to receive calls. http://www.virginmobile.com/mobile/service...road/abroad.jsp

http://www.virginmobile.com/mobile/service...untry_search=79

SIM card is only £10. Register it and choose to pay a bill, that way you won't run out of credit.

Do remember though, that if anyone calls you, you will be on one of the Thai networks. So it's possible that they will end up with a message in Thai if your mobile diverts for any reason.

Virgin Mobile OZ;

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/pricelist.shtml

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/pricelist_i...ternational.htm

• 4 months later...

My mobile's with Vodaphone's pay as you go network and I can use it in Thailand though calls back to the UK are expensive at nearly £2 per minute .......... especially when all you get is an answering machine! I also have to pay the international aspect of any calls made to my mobile. Mine is purely for emergencies so it is hardly used.

Alan

My mobile's with Vodaphone's pay as you go network and I can use it in Thailand though calls back to the UK are expensive at nearly £2 per minute .......... especially when all you get is an answering machine! I also have to pay the international aspect of any calls made to my mobile. Mine is purely for emergencies so it is hardly used.

Alan

That's the point of this thread. To enable you to place a local SIM card, costing from around six pounds, into your existing mobile or indeed a mobile you choose to buy in the LOS.

From then, your calls will  cost you 8 pence(11 cents) per minute for national calls and around 55 pence(70 cents) per minute back to the UK. No charge for receiving calls. SMS 5 pence (7 cents) nationally and 15 pence(21 cents) internationally.

Simply slip your Vodaphone SIM back into the phone when you return to the UK.