Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

;D Dear Members ...

First of all, Happy New Year to FLB and other members ..

Last and this months I stayed in Marriott for couple of nights. I found that some guys brought in TG and I did not see they were paying the fee. Also I found the security was a little bit released. Could anyone verfiy that Marriott changes the TG guest policy?

Thanks. I stayed in Dusit because of this Policy ...

Latest I heard of the Marriot is if you book with them direct you are left alone, if you book with a package, then they will chase you for 1000 baht joiner fee.  I stayed there once and it was too much hassle, so I then used the Dusit at it was guest friendly - that however is no longer the case as they too try and get 1000 baht joiner fee too!   :P

Maybe someone will have more up to date info, but I dont really see the Marriot changing its tactics now.

I stayed at the Marriott between Dec 28 & Jan 6. The hotel was very guest  friendly, no fees no hassles :).

I also had no problems with my friends and their guests coming up to my room either!

It was actually more guest friendly than Hard Rock where my friends stayed during this trip!

Yep snakedr, thats why you had no hassle, as you booked with them direct through their US reservation number. Its the guys who book via a package that get hassled for the 1000baht joiner fee.

Sabaicedd,

I think that most, if not all, the top-end hotels will hit you for a joiner fee if you book as part of a package, even if you pay a single supplement.  I can't really see what the problem is if you are getting exactly what you paid for - a room for single occupancy.  

Tom

Cheshire Tom

If you are happy paying 1000baht extra then there is no problem. Personally I dont like the way they treat the girls and hound you for this 1000baht, and lets not forget you have already paid a single supplement for having the single room, then they want another single supplement on top!

The Dusit has only recently started this joiner fee idea, so not all the top hotels were doing it, they just picked up on the idea of making more baht out of us.

I would rather give my baht to a hotel that does not do this kind of thing - its a personal thing after all, just as it is in how much you give your tilac as a gift, but as they say in LOS Up To You!  :)

SabaiCedd,

I think we are singing from the same songsheet - I abhor paying 1,000 Baht joiner fees or going through the associated hassles for doing so and therefore stopped booking packages about 15 years ago.  Together with the hassles of group transfers, the attitudes of snotty reps and fixed itineraries convinced me to use independent agents and I have done so since.

The same deals at the Dusit that are offered by Kuoni/Tradewinds and others as part of a package can be booked through many of the independents on a hotel only basis - my preference is for Premier Asia simply because of the deals they do on suites at the Landmark in BKK.  They also offer the two-for-one deals at the Dusit, as do most of the online agents including Travelbag, Trailfinders and Travelmood.  

With the current prices of flights from UK pretty low (at least from Manchester) it can work out as cheap to put together an independent itinerary plus you are able to mix and match the airlines/hotels that suit you best whilst avoiding all the negatives of package tours that I mentioned.

Regards,

Tom

Cheshire Tom

Yep just started doing the same  :)

I used to do the package route as it seemed easier that way, but now I am doing the same as you and booking my own hotel/flight etc.

Its a good idea of yours to use premier for the hotel, I will have to look at that for my next trip after March :) thanks for that advice

Cheers

SabaiCedd