Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Distance UK - Bkk

Can anyone tell me the flight distance from UK to Bangkok via Dubai or know where I can find it ?

My reason for asking is that Emirates are offering double airmiles if you book online but unfortunately they are more expensive to book with as I have to book my connecting flight Belfast to Birmingham separately . Is it worth the extra £40 for the double airmiles ? Maybe this is one for our airline expert Cheshire Tom ?

Cheers ,

Derek

I always like double airmiles ;D Cheap charley like almost dbl everything except the clap. ;D The question is; do you use Emirates enough for the airmiles to matter. I try and use one airline for all my trips. I use United. When I make two trips the third one free. Distance from BKK to Dubai 3030 miles, 4876 km. BKK to London 5928 miles, 9540 km. This info from Thai Air in flight mag.   6 days till I fly 10270 miles to pussy heaven. ;D ;D ;D

Hi Turbo,

I fly Emirates (EK) once or twice a month and have done for many years (work in Dubai). The name of their FFP (Frequent Flyer program) is Skywards and you will find all your questions answered at www.skywards.com.

As an ordinary member you will earn 1 mile per mile flown, from Manchester to Dubai earns you 3512 miles and from Dubai to Bangkok earnsyou 3032 miles.

These miles are valid for 3 years from date of issue.

When you have flown 20,000 miles in one calendar year you become a silver member, 40,000 in one calendar year a Gold member. Silver or Gold gives you 1.25 miles per mile flown. Obviously there are more benefits as you go higher, priority check-in, higher baggage allowance etc.

To give an example of benefits for your airmiles, a free economy return ticket, Manchester/Dubai/Manchester will cost you 50,000 airmiles, or a one way upgrade from economy to Business Class is 25,000 miles.

As I said earlier, visit the Skywards website, it will answer all your queries. Take advantage of the Dubai stopovers if you are interested, you can stay in a 5 star hotel in Dubai for 2 nights, at $27 (yes, that.s US dollars)

a night. If you decide to do it that way, email me and I will put you right. I have worked in Dubai for 17 years now, so know it pretty well. Take care

Thanks guys . If I do book on their website it will give me 26188 miles , enough to qualify for silver membership & a free upgrade next time . I will probably be going back again near the end of the year & if I like the flight I will use them again . Their price seems to be consistent year round at £500 - £550 unlike other good airlines whose prices vary greatly but not usually much cheaper than £500 . And as CT points out , one of their partners is BA who I might try sometime if I can get a good price .

Rayban - why do you always use Emirates ? Is it because they are good , are cheap or does your company pay for all & you don't care  ;D .

Derek

Hi again Derek,

In reply to your question regarding my use of Emirates, well I have worked overseas, mainly in the Middle East, since 1976. During this time I have travelled on many, many airlines and therfore consider myself quite knowledgeable in this field. I have been based in Dubai since 1986 and have flown Emirates for several years, practically since their conception as an International Airline.

My Company do pay for all busines related flights, but it is on an expense account basis. The airline I use and the flight arrangements (within reason) are 100% by personal choice. As I said in my last response, I normally fly once or twice  per month and for the past 5 years I have used no other airline, I think that speaks for itself.

Emirates is not the cheapest by any means, but my motto has always been that you get what you pay for.

They are extremely reliable, well managed, in flight entertainment is 2nd to none and the onboard service is excellent. They have been voted by frequent fliers as Airline of the year on several occasions and before you or anyone else asks, NO, I do not work for them.  ;D

In all fairness to you though, I should explain that I am a Gold Card member and have been since Skywards conception a few years ago, therefore receiving many extras in comparison to a normal economy passenger.

I usually only fly Business Class these days too, that also makes a big difference. In years gone by though, I was a regular "back of the bus" passenger and still rated them highly. As Emirates have gained popularity, the Economy cabin on the Far East runs tend to usually be chocka these days, so don't expect too much free space around you.

One final point needs clarifying for you in reference to using affiliate airlines. Emirates FFP ( as with most other Airline FFP's) is not as straightforward as it first looks. Airmiles earned are added to TWO accounts, your "Airmiles" account and your "Tier" miles account. Miles in the "Airmiles" account are stored for up to 3 years and this is the account that you use for your freebies. The same earned miles are also stored in your "Tier" miles account and this account is used to establish and maintain your FFP ststus, i.e. Silver/Gold etc. The "Tier account starts on 1st Jan and zero's itself on the 31st December of every year. You have to establish the 20k (silver) or 40k (gold) each year to maintain your status.

Where am I going with this?? Well if you use an affiliate airline, yes ythe miles go to your "Airmiles" account, BUT they do not go to your "Tier" account, so you can therefore lose your status Silver/Gold status.

My personal advice is that you take up what BigDUSA commented on.........choose and use.....stick to one airline if you want maximum benefits.

I now live in Pattaya, have TW and the whole thing, I will be back there 1st to 19th March, if you are in town let me know and we can maybe meet up, I can put you straight on these matters. Hope this answers all your questions........ 8) 8) 8) 8) RayBan!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellas

I recently flew Emirates to PI and found that apart from the good service,they were not too fussy regarding baggage weights,letting me off with 6 kg over (a 30 kg limit in Econ as well).

One of the other good points is that in Heathrow they form the waiting passengers at the desk into an orderly Que and call you forward rather than allow a free for all scrum to the check in desks.

It's only the second time I have used Emirates,I usually go EVA to the Far East or Gulf to the Middle East,I would certainly use them again though.

Regards

Butch

• 1 month later...