Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Have any of you guys been to Udon Thani in Isaan in the North East of Thailand ?

I believe its quite a big city and developed during the Vietnam war when a lot of Americans came for R & R or should I say S & S !

Apparently a lot of Americans live there now....

I've got a chance of going there for a month or two in the second half of this year.I've been looking on the net and you can rent a 3 bedroom bungalow for as little as

£90 per month.

But dont wanna go if I'll be bored....anyone got any info/advice on bars/a go-go's/women in general/food etc

Thanks.

Zidane

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I went through there in October last year.  No bars that I know of, I doubt there are any, I saw one other farang while I was there.  There is farang food, a hangover from the War.  Lonely Planet describes it as a good place to go when you're on your way to somewhere else.

Cheers

G

I've never been there but I've worked with ex Air Force guys who were stationed there.  The US had an Air Force base there during the war, but I never heard it being mentioned as an R & R destination.

Emil

www.khonkaen.com is a site that has some info about Udon. You will need to click on "forum" on the main page and join up. Its free. Its a small forum but very nice people and very helpfull. Search through their archives and you will find the info you need.

Thanks for the info,guys.

Blimey,if I go it looks as though I'll have to take a minibus full of Pattaya girls with me to stop me from getting bored !!

But I found this website,udonmap.com,where they are very friendly and helpful.....there seems to be quite a few beer bars,karaoke bars,massage parlours and even a go-go (Wolverines).....I suspect its a similar sort of place as Khon-Kaen.

Accomodation is really cheap....3 bedroom detached bungalow 6000 baht per month within walking distance of the city centre.

I'll probably give it a go for a week or two because of its proximity to the Lao border....good for getting visa renewed.

But thanks for your mails....incidentally I'm in Pattaya last week of April till mid May with a couple of other guys from work so looking forward to meeting up with a few members at the FLB....cheers,Zidane.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi been there acouple of times (the wifes from there) some good hotels that will let you use there pools for a swim,no agogos or such but some Thai discos and bars may be worth a try, a decent shopping center, internet cafes and market but if its bedroom olymics your after you may be the only athlete  ;)

Just ask a taxi driver to take you to a farang bar. Or indicate you want to find where the farangs drink. Once you locate the local ex-pats, I am sure they will give you all the info you need. There is no shortage of p4p in any large town in LOS.

I went out with a couple of Thai friends in a rather smallish town one night and was surprised at the ammount of action around. By day there was nothing to indicate any p4p at all. Just the usual, lots of markets and shops etc. Well, we had a great time that night. Two karoake places with girls available. One bar with about 6 girls dancing on stage. and finished up at a soapie place for 1,100 baht. The quality of the girls was mixed. Most I would say were below average compared to the tourist places, but there were some real stunners among them too. Its there allright, you just have to look a bit harder to find it.

A good idea if you are travelling alone is to hire a taxi driver for the day. That is if you can find one with reasonable English. Let him act as your tour guide.

• 4 weeks later...

My TG comes from there and having visited there is no action what so ever so you will have to take a mini bus load of Tg's to keep you happy!!!!!!!!!

There are definately beer bars with girls in Udon Thani as well as the usual brothels . This is according to my ex TG who comes from Udon Thani & Gerald's wife who is also from there . They had friends who worked in bars in the city . Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to check them out while I was there :D . The best way to find 1 would be to take a taxi & ask the driver - but be warned , you'll be lucky if you find 1 that speaks much english . If you're going to be there a while you should buy or rent a scooter . The traffic up there is relatively civilised & a lot safer than Bkk or Pattaya .

Derek