Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi folks! I've been a member for a few days and can't believe the amount of info on thes site. Thanks Pete!

When I get to town I would like to do some salt water fishing. What can one catch and what are the prices for a day of fishing. I am budget concious of course. Thanks folks! Peace!

Great saltwater fishing in Pattaya. For a private boat; 26-30', with twin outboard motors, with a captain who knows fishing, all tackle and gear, and a full day of offshore fishing the price should be 6,000 to 9,000 baht.

Now that may seem like a lot but remember that the boat will fish four people without a problem. Most better offshore captains are running twin outboard 200 hp each V-6. These motors burn a lot of gas and gas is not cheap so the fuel bill will be more than half of the total amount.  

I fished in January and paid 8000 baht for the day, the same trip and boat in April was 7000 baht. High season vs. low season pricing. OR you can fish a head boat with 20 or so other guys for about 1000 baht.

Where do you book these fishing trips ? I've been intending to go on one every time I'm in Pattaya but I never know where to look . I'll probably be in Pattaya around the end of Sept. if anyone wants to join up & book a boat .

Derek

Turbo,

I think you can book a boat from one of the blokes hanging around the enterance to the old pier.

John

Where do you book these fishing trips ? I've been intending to go on one every time I'm in Pattaya but I never know where to look . I'll probably be in Pattaya around the end of Sept. if anyone wants to join up & book a boat .

Derek

You can book many different boats at many different places. Anywhere that they offer tour sales at. Or just walk along the beach and check out the boats until you find one that is set up for fishing.  The Captain and Boat that I have used is:

Mark 1 Service

Pitak (Peter) Karkhai

038 300393 home phone

01 3077289 or 01 4930447 cell phone

I have found hiim to provide a good service.

• 2 weeks later...

My own experience in June. With a bunch of expats (and wives /gf) we booked a boat for about 3500 baht all in. We fished in  4 different areas and the fishing was absolutely crap. Biggest fish on the boat was about 8 inches long. We didnt even fill a bucket with small fry. In the end we anchored up at one of those small islands you can see from Pattaya beach. Everyone had a little fun hooking up little sea bass.

Every tiny fish was cooked up by the crew which goes to show nothing is wasted in the LOS. Quite nice food though!

Next day I went scuba. Chatting with the scuba guys, I remarked about the poor fishing and the lack of marine line whilst down scuba. Basically I was told that the Thais have overfished the area to the extreme.

I dont know if my own experience of fishing in Pattaya is par for the course - I could be incredibly wrong but you should expect a day like this as a possibility. Oh and you might also expect to have to fish with what I would call a crab line. An hour of hand-lining can be knackering.

Maybe you get what you pay for - I dont know. I suggest you dont worry about fishing till near the end of your holiday. By then you will almost certainly have made a good few friends who will be grateful for the diversion and share the cost of the boat :)  

Every other person I met in Pattaya seemed to be either semi or perm resident. I found asking around, people were very friendly and most people could put me in touch with contacts whereby I often got much much better deals.

If no one else contradicts me too much I'd suggest buying a hand line and fishing off the pier. Maybe a local there will be able to advise you on a proper days fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not try course fishing?  Excellent facilities at Jomtien Soi 4.  2 Ponds one full of huge catfish up to 30 pounds the other smaller pond overflowing with carp up to 8 pounds. You just cant fail to catch fish. Beer and food available.  Overall cost about 600Baht plus food and drink. EXCELLENT !!

That sounds good Griffo . Can you give us any more details ie name , location , how to get there , etc ?

Derek

Or you could join Pattaya Sports Club and look up their fishing club section.

www.pattayasports.org should get em.

Anyone know where the 60`s bar is . ???

Turbo, the place in Jomtien is called The Jomtien Fish Park. It's located quite a ways down Jomtien Beach Road away from the Pattaya end. If memory serves me right, it's down Soi 14 (not Soi 4). You can take a baht bus down to Soi 14 and get off. There is a small, rectangular blue and white sign on the corner of Jomtien Beach Road and Soi 14 that says, "Jomtien Fish Park" with an arrow pointing down Soi 14.  You will walk down this dirt road about 200 or 300 yards...Soi 14 dead ends right at the fish park. Motos will take you right to the doorstep if you want, I paid 30 or 40 baht from the R.G. to the fish park by moto. Other times I caught a baht bus and paid 10 baht. Getting back to Pattaya you may have to wait a bit for a baht bus at that end of Jomtien Beach Rd., but one will come by eventually.

There are cheaper fish parks around...the one in Pattaya on 3rd road is only 40 baht per person plus your bait, food, etc., but it's too small, right by traffic, the fish are smaller...a lousy setting to fish IMO.

Jomtien Fish Park is 200 baht per person. It opens about 10 A.M. (I think, the workers live on the premises so if someone was up and stirring earlier you could probably get going earlier as well). The 200 baht gives you as much fishing time as you want that day, and the rod and reel is included in the price. Bait is extra, they sell that for 20 baht a bag. It's 1 of 2 kinds; soft, crumbled-up bread crumbs, or pellets they soften in water. Have one of the Thai guys show you how to bait the hookup, because if you've never done it, it's kind of strange. "Chum" is a very good helper at the park. They also sell this rice coconut scented liquid that is added to the bread crumbs that seems to attract the fish.

You can be lazy and have the helpers do everything for you but reel the fish in, all the way to you doing everything...up to you. If they stay with you all day helping, they appreciate a tip. There are wooden picnic tables spread down behind a wooden dock where people set up. It's covered so you can get shade. Go on the left side as you enter for the afternoon shade...as the sun gets lower it will be in your face if you fish on the right hand side (from the perspective of the front of the park). I've both brought food and drink into the park (no problem on that) and bought meals and drinks from the park. You just catch one of the helpers and tell him what you want. They will walk back to the office/kitchen and place your order, then bring it to you.

The large pond is pretty good-sized. A very long cast will go maybe halfway across the pond. The big pond has carp (or a cross between a carp and a catfish, if there is such a thing...).  There are some big ones in there. Last trip I brought a long-time friend who is a Go-Go dancer to the park (several times actually, over several trips). She really likes to fish. She caught one that weighed about 20 kilos...a little more than half her weight.  We have always caught fish there (one time we averaged hooking a fish every 10 mintes for about 5 hours. We landed well over 20 and lost a lot of others after long hook-ups...we were sore the next day, as they put up a decent fight. Many are in the 8-10-12 kilo range, with the occasional BIG ones. That was a day Chum worked for us...baiting, casting her line out, getting the hooks out, getting more bait, getting our food and drinks, etc. I tipped him 300 baht and he was VERY happy, but he busted his ass off too. He would have been happy with 100 baht, I'm sure).  

It's a lot of fun, in a great setting with fields and trees (and some water buffaloes) surrounding the park, food and drinks available. You can order stuff and they just add it to your bill and you settle up everything when you leave.

They like you to catch and release the big fish from the big pond, in the smaller pond (where you switch poles to just a bamboo pole and line with hook) they like you to keep your catch and bring them to the register where they weigh them and charge you a price per kilo (cheap).

For the fishing "purists" who don't consider fishing in a "fish park" real fishing, fine. All I know is I always have a fun time going there, it's a great change of pace for a day. I've never stayed past dark, but there are lights at the park and they are open at night...don't know how late though. You should check it out next trip.

Me .... I like fishing in those Sea Food Restauarnts with big tanks.

Can catch just as many as I want, whatever size I like and still have time for the real reason for being in LOS  ;D

Fonz,

Bobby Joe's Sixties Bar is on Soi Zero about a hundred yards off Beach Road. Soi Zero was sometines called Soi Bowling Alley because of the bowling alley at the 2nd road end. It may be best known becaues of Bruno's Restaurant. Some also call the road Soi Busstop.

Some may remenber when the Sixties Bar was located on Soi Pattayaland two next to the Blue Parrot bar.  Bobby Joe moved his bar about 2 years ago.

Bobby Joe's Sixties Bar remains one of my favorites.

Cheers Leadbelly , I'll have to pay that place a visit next trip . It would be a nice place to spend an afternoon with a TG , Me with a rod in 1 hand & a beer in the other , her with a rod in each hand  ;) .

Derek

Thanks Papa.

In the fishing club section of the PSC they say that the

60s bar run or organise fishing trips from there .

Can now roll along there and check it out.

Would you believe all those St. names.