Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Anyone who is coming from North America during July, do you know of any airfare deals?

Been checking some of the air line sites and everything seems rather high? How close to your departure date do you book your flight?

Try Orbitz. I have usually gotten the best fares from them.

Thai air is running a special from LAX/BKK but I don't know if it's good in July.

China Airlines usually has a reasonable fare (between $600-800 from LAX or SFO). Of course, you have to deal with food that ranges from mediocre to inedible, even by airline standards. Otherwise, I have found their service good. I'm going with them next week.

July isn't high season, so you should be able to find a decent fare. Good Luck.

When in July are you going to Pattaya, Tangent? I expect to be at the RG for the first 2 weeks and then in my own condo for the last two weeks.

Travelocity is worth looking at. I've booked short haul flights through them and have been very impressed with the speed they get the tickets to you.

Alan

When in July are you going to Pattaya, Tangent? I expect to be at the RG for the first 2 weeks and then in my own condo for the last two weeks.

Right now I am planning on being in Pattaya from July 1 to Aug.5, if I can work out my work schedule. Will be staying at the RG again, so I will look you up Alan for a few cold ones. The first round is on me.

Anyone who is coming from North America during July, do you know of any airfare deals? 

Been checking some of the air line sites and everything seems rather high?  How close to your departure date do you book your flight?

It seems a little early to me to be booking for July... it's more than 90 days out (more than 120 for later in the month!), a lot of the sales won't have started yet. I wouldn't even *start* looking until 90 days out, but if you don't see any good fares, it's safe to wait to within 60 for low season.

What airport are you going out of? If it's not one with much direct international service, consider pricing fares from the nearest major internation hub ... and then separately pricing the flight to the hub if it's not in driving distance. If you are near a major international hub, consider checking nearby non-hub airports and connecting.

Check some of the airlines on their web sites directly as many have web specials that don't make it to the major online travel agents. I know Cathay Pacific ( http://www.cathayusa.com/ ), American, and United all do this - not sure about other carriers.

Also, avoid flying any time around 4th of July weekend, and in general, Tues/Weds are the cheapest and lightest days to fly.

Right now the fares I'm seeing for July suck, but since Thailand is not exactly a summer holiday location for many Americans I would expect to see this fall.

Also, you might try Priceline and Hotwire - right now Hotwire is down, so I can't tell if they have anything good, but they're worth a look.

Tangent:

Try Cathay-Pacific. They usually have good fares and I have flown with them before. In fact, just booked LA to BKK for $630, taxes included. Booked it last week for flight next week. Yeah!!!! But this deal is only good until April 15. However, they are now running an All Asia Special but not sure of the dates.

I suggest you sign up for e-mail promotions from all companies that fly to BKK and watch the promotions they offer as you have plenty of time left before your trip.

I disagree that fares are cheaper in the summer, even though it is low season in Thailand it is high season for the airlines in July as it is prime vacation time for most people worldwide.

Rockin'

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that USA Gateway (800-883-8798) and Star Tours (323-644-1063) are 2 good agencies in LA for booking flights to Thailand. They get volume discounts because they specialize to some degree in Thailand vacations. Flights under $700 and sometimes even under $600 are possible through these agencies depending on when you are traveling.

Right now, both agencies are saying that July is a "high" season for flights to Thailand because so many Thai students are returning home for summer vacations.

I noticed that flights LAX to BKK are higher on Orbitz, Expedia, etc. also during the summer months.

Good luck.

:beer ok heres the scoop, asia is on sale for you guys from the usa, Los Angels, Ca. r/trip to bkk leaving april 29th @1AM is only $567.00 (usd) on eva air, this is a promotional sale only evergreen deluxe class (which you have 1st class seat but eat coach food) is only $1055.00 (usd) expiration on this deal is may 31st. 2005, and got a great deal with hotel in pattaya also. I cant wait till get back to LOS, its been a long 6 months since I was there, I cant wait.! :P