Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 123 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Can't recommend the steaks at sizzler, seem overpriced for the quality. But do go there for the salad bar, I usually order the pork chops.

As I recall, the USDA New York steak at the Sizzler was about 600 baht ($15 USD) and was tough and tasteless.

As I recall, the USDA New York steak at the Sizzler was about 600 baht ($15 USD) and was tough and tasteless.

There are 4 main grades that The USDA uses

Prime

Choice

Select

No Roll

The product the Sizzler uses is USDA Select they bring in there Product from IBP (Iowa Beef Packers) in the states as when having dinner there I questioned the manager and he gave me a little tour and showed me the product.

I have eaten many a steak graded select and they were very good depends on how the USDA Inspector is feeling the day he grades them as he makes the final decision on the quality. He inspects the carcass quality and fat cover If he is having a good day the packing house he is inspecting may have a thousand head of hanging beef that they feel is say choice well the inspector got layed the night before so he gives the beef a look and feels they are Prime so the packing house has a wind fall but that could also go the other way and like here in LOS some say Tea money plays a big part

No where in Pattaya will you find a Prime steak and if they insist it is I will bet they won't be willing to prove it. And you won't find a true Kobe Steak they can call them Kobe style that's OK but you won't find the real deal here.

There are a lot of places that claim to have Choice and this could well be but you would know the difference at tenderness is the tell tail sign.

Can't recommend the steaks at sizzler, seem overpriced for the quality. But do go there for the salad bar, I usually order the pork chops.

Pork is Pork it is not graded by the USDA there are companys that tout having a better product Birkshire, Sterling Silver to name a couple but there is no grading system for Pork

For the US anyway as I can't speak for other countries.

I had a wonderful steak at a place called My Way (Frank Sinatra) its in the arcade to the right of Kiss Food as you look at Kiss Food from Mike's Shopping, on Second Road, and on the right, just before The Big Horn. The owner/ chef is Dutch, and the beef is from Argentina. I took a friend, who lives in Pattaya, and he said it was the best Steak he had had in Pattaya.

thechairman18

I had a wonderful steak at a place called My Way (Frank Sinatra) its in the arcade  to the right of Kiss Food as you look at Kiss Food from Mike's Shopping, on Second Road, and on the right, just before The Big Horn.  The owner/ chef is Dutch, and the beef is from Argentina.  I took a friend, who lives in Pattaya, and he said it was the best Steak he had had in Pattaya.

thechairman18

I/d second that , not expensive either (just over 200 baht) with salad and saute potatoes. Definately recommend it.............only one drawback and thats the place itself is a little small so can be busy.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Uncle Charley on soi 9 or 11 about 10 meters down on the left. Great steaks and chops. She's only open on Tuesday & Thursday. Well worth the money.

Gregs kitchen on 2nd Road, four shops down from Sky-Top. Good food and prices.

Edited by BigDUSA

Soi 7 you are right on the grades of beef. Unfortunately, even here in the US, choice and select grades are used by and large by most Steakhouses. Only the very high charging Steakhouses use USDA Prime w/ the marbling to prove it.

Kobe on the other hand is another thing altogether. If it is Kobe or Matsuzaka Beef(this is from the city in japan) is beef that is fed only on grain and beer, then massaged daily to ensure the marbling of fat into the grain of meat.

http://www.eprimecuts.com/shop.asp?sub=Wag...ef&src=overture

http://www.kobe-beef.com/about.php

Now as far as Pork is concerned, I have one particular favorite...kurubuta pork

http://www.lobels.com/store/main/pork.asp

Happy eating!

Only the very high charging Steakhouses use USDA Prime w/ the marbling to prove it.

There is a VERY respected Steakhouse in San Francisco that buys Select Prime Ribs and sells them as Choice and buys Choice and sells them as Prime and they have been around for ever and have been doing this for 10 years I know of the avg joe has no Idea.

Only the very high charging Steakhouses use USDA Prime w/ the marbling to prove it
Agreed but you won't find it in Pattaya

Now as far as Pork is concerned, I have one particular favorite...kurubuta pork

Pork is nongraded and is all the same they would like you to think otherwise but that's not the case if not over cooked all the same. by the way kurubuta Birkshire are one in the same

Edited by Soi7

There's a steak place about 50m along from the Dynasty Hotel in Soi 4 Bkk. I cant for the life of me recall the name, except its 'Steak ... something.

They do a good job and haven't had a bad steak there in 4 or so visits. One night I was pissed enough to have a bottle of Australian red with the meal. Needlass to say it cost about 3x the food!

L

that is fed only on grain and beer, then massaged daily to ensure the marbling of fat into the grain of meat.

I've strived my entire life for this and have the physic to prove it. :unsure: