Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

True Prices of House rental/Purchase

Hi,

Well after 2 years of planning, our home here in the UK is on the market and as soon as it is sold we will be moving to the Jomtien area. I have been looking on the internet for houses to rent/buy. We plan to rent a house for 6 months while we look around for a place to buy.

As we have two children agen 6 and 11 our minimum specs are 3/4 bedrooms, good security, shared pool and high speed internet access. We would like the property to be in the Jomtien area but would go out as far as Nong Nook. Our kids will probably go to the Best School in Pattaya. (I mean the name "Best" not the very best!)

My question is how much would I expect to pay to rent/buy a home such as this. There are many sites on the nett quoting huge amounts of baht but I was wandering if these internet prices truly reflect the prices that can be found when you are in the area. I saw one post which said the cheapest properties can be found by just driving around and looking for "for sale" boards. But as I am still in England I cannot do that!

Could I call on you expats living in the area to lett me know what I could expect to pay for the type of property I described please.

Many thanks

Chris

Do you want to live like a farang or a Thai?

This is a pretty open question but if you're looking for a western standard home with all the whistles then the prices you see in the adverts are pretty much right on.

Real estate is the same in Thailand as anywhere else in the world....You're gonna pay for location.

If you're really looking for western style house with a Thai price tag you better try another area...maybe Chiyaphum.

There may be some deals out there but you're gonna need to jump pretty quick!

Yes, I am looking for a western style home. The prices for homes I like seem to be in the 30,000 to 65,000 baht rental range and to buy 3 to 4.5 million or more. According to Internet sites.

Chris

Chris,

Later this year I will be in the same position. Moving to Thailand with a family from the UK. My wife is Thai so that helps when looking for houses.We have a daughter and small son so will be looking for schools.

From what I have seen in Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui and Hua Hin, price depends on where (Hua Hin is cheapest, Phuket most expensive). This reflects the popularity and status of the resort. Location within the resort also dictates price. We are thinking of East Pattaya, the other side of Sirkhumvit because we want to be away from the busy central area.

Pattaya prices I have seen there seem to be about the same as Internet, but I have seen cheaper in some Estate Agents windows.

It is cheaper to buy Off Plan, but you take the risk on what you get.

I agree with your plan to rent for 6 months first. We are going to do this to make sure we have chosen the correct resort. It also gives us time to choose a house. In fact I may rent for longer than that until I am sure of the house/location.

I have searched on the web for Best School but cannot find it. Do you have a web address for the school?

Internet prices are always the highest. Hotel, house & condo rental, tours, house & condo purchase doesn't matter, net is for suckers IMO.

Bargains are on the ground.

Maybe try to come over a month before the family and suss everything out.

Have some sanuk as your reward for finding a lovely house for the family at a good price. :nod

Hi Chris

I live just outside pattaya about 15kms i rent a three bedroom house for 10,000baht a month including most of the furniture, its a nice secure village, the inflated prices you see on the net are a joke.......You should be looking around 20 - 30,000baht for a reasonable place but you'll have to do some legwork....

regards...........

TEL:

Here is the link to the school I will probably send my children to. Wish I could afford one of the big International schools but their prices are well above me!

http://www.best-burapha.com/files/

Regards Chris

Edited by chris_heaton

That is a good school.

My friend's Son goes to BEST, he is 15 now and a nicer person you would not meet. The fact that his Mum & Dad are no longer a family unit just goes to show how much credit the School should receive for him becoming the young gentleman he now is. His manners are exemplary and so are many of his friends from the same school whom I have had the pleasure to meet

I usually go along to the Christmas party held at the school and watch the kids perform on stage with their various plays, it's amazing how many well known faces from the Pattaya retail & entertainment community send their children to BEST.

Good Decision :cry2