Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thai Air drops non-stops to and from U.S.

The big issue here is that the A345 is overweight and does not have the fuel efficiency that Airbus promised. To even make the ultra-long haul flights, they had to reduce the weight(BTW, SQ claims they do not make money on their A345 ultra long hauls either).

I find it hard to believe that Airbus would make 'promises' they can't keep. Do I notice a trend here with the 380 stuck on the factory floor and the original 350 couldn't find any buyers because no one wanted what Airbus had to sell?

Tell me it ain't so. :gulp :party :D

"Fuel prices force Thai to drop A340-500 non-stops to USA

By Leithen Francis

Airline axes New York and Los Angeles direct services but agrees A380 reparations

Thai Airways International is abandoning its non-stop services to Los Angeles and New York, which it operates with Airbus A340-500s, due to high fuel costs. Meanwhile, the airline has reached a deal with Airbus to acquire eight A330-300s at a discounted price as part of compensation for the delay to its A380 order.

Thai confirms that it will revamp its five-times weekly non-stop services from Bangkok to Los Angeles and New York Kennedy into one-stop services, and is considering either Seoul or Shanghai for the stopover point, although it gives no timeframe for the move. The confirmation comes in response to public remarks made by the airline's president Apin Sumanaseni......."

Rest of story here, http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/...n-stops-to.html

I find it hard to believe that Airbus would make 'promises' they can't keep. Do I notice a trend here with the 380 stuck on the factory floor and the original 350 couldn't find any buyers because no one wanted what Airbus had to sell?

Tell me it ain't so. :clueless :D :D

I say it ain't so! Airbus has already offered discounts on A330-300s because they are delayed in bring out the A380 orders that they "promised". :D

From the March 14 Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14Mar2007_news09.php

THAI could unload four new Airbus jets

Thai Airways International's commerce department has asked the airline's board to sell its four brand-new A340-500 Airbus passenger jets. THAI vice-president for commerce Wallop Bhukkanasut said the the four-engined jetliners consume a lot of fuel and offer limited seating capacity.

The proposed sale has put on hold a plan to next month add two more non-stop Bangkok-New York flights to the current five flights a week, he said.

The route is now served by Boeing 777-200LRs, twin-engined jets said to be more economical than the Airbus jets.

THAI has taken delivery of three of the A340-500s, the fourth to arrive next month.

Gee, now all they have to do is find someone crazy enough to buy the planes. My guess is this story is far form over.

Tell me it ain't so. :D :drunk :bow

Airbus isn't exactly alone in this. The MD11 was delivered overweight, and has largely been taken out of passenger service.

From the March 14 Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14Mar2007_news09.php

THAI could unload four new Airbus jets

Thai Airways International's commerce department has asked the airline's board to sell its four brand-new A340-500 Airbus passenger jets. THAI vice-president for commerce Wallop Bhukkanasut said the the four-engined jetliners consume a lot of fuel and offer limited seating capacity.

The proposed sale has put on hold a plan to next month add two more non-stop Bangkok-New York flights to the current five flights a week, he said.

The route is now served by Boeing 777-200LRs, twin-engined jets said to be more economical than the Airbus jets.

THAI has taken delivery of three of the A340-500s, the fourth to arrive next month.

Seems they can't make up their minds.

While the Boeing 777-200LR will carry more passengers and fly farther while using less fuel than an Airbus 340-500, I don't believe Thai Air has ordered the B777-200LR, let alone taken delivery of the same. If they are using the B777-200LR, they must have leased them.

Edited by Scalawag
Airbus isn't exactly alone in this. The MD11 was delivered overweight, and has largely been taken out of passenger service.

MD11 was made by McDonald/Douglas. It's true Boeing bought MD but the plane had been in service for years by the time Boeing came along.

Edited by BigDUSA
MD11 was made by McDonald/Douglas. It's true Boeing bought MD but the plane had been in service for years by the time Boeing came along.

Try again then ....... the 747 was almost 50 tons overweight when it first came out.

Anyway, you can be sure that flying to LAX and NYC it is the passengers and not the aircraft that is overweight. :finger

Try again then ....... the 747 was almost 50 tons overweight when it first came out.

Anyway, you can be sure that flying to LAX and NYC it is the passengers and not the aircraft that is overweight.

What does this have to do with Thai cancelling BKK-JFK run or you have nothing to add and this post proves it.

Add 450 people who are each carrying an extra spare tyre of say 20kg and you have an extra 9,000kg of lard to carry. If they are larger the figyres themselves get really large.

Remember again though that the weight mathematics were probably carried out by a 60kg Thai not a 120kg lardbucket ! There is an extra 27,000kg !

What does this have to do with Thai cancelling BKK-JFK run or you have nothing to add and this post proves it.

Err, NYC is what is known as a grouped code and includes JFK.

Try to keep up in future.

• 2 weeks later...