Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

To those of you staying long time or residents can you clarify for me just how much your electricity is per unit. There appears to be no set in concrete amount. Some say 7 bht a unit and some say 10 bht a unit. Not a great deal of difference. However today I had a hotel quote me 15bht per unit. Can this be so? Wouldn't they be makeing a shit load of cash out of it themselves.

So just what are you paying?

Thanks

Longy

It makes a big difference actually.

The actual cost is around 3B per unit I think. Anyway rentals seem to charge a standard 5B per unit, but some up to 7B/unit. At the end of the month this "small" difference can mean an extra 1k or 2k baht.

Exactly my point bangkapiboy. If it costs approx 2000bht per month @ 7bht a unit then it'll be over 4000 bht per month @ 15bht a unit.

Are these hotels just able to charge what they like? and has anyone else evr heard of it as high as 15bht a unit

Longy

Exactly my point bangkapiboy. If it costs approx 2000bht per month @ 7bht a unit then it'll be over 4000 bht per month @ 15bht a unit.

Are these hotels just able to charge what they like? and has anyone else evr heard of it as high as 15bht a unit

Longy

Yes they can charge what they like. The one I stay in charges 7 baht a unit, my girl gets charged 3 baht a unit in her room. 15 baht a unit is taking the piss. :D

Yeah I've heard of some places charging 10B/unit. People talk all the time about the monthly prices of a room, but without also talking about the utility prices, you're not getting the true price of the room. People tend to conveniently forget about this. Your 12,000B/m apartment can quickly become 18,000B/m very very easily.

• 2 weeks later...

the price of electricity has almost doubled in thailand in the last year, i pay 5.93 baht per unit direct from the electricity supplier .

so i would suggest anybody being asked to pay , say 7 baht a unit is not being ripped off by there land lord, but 15 baht and your being badly ripped.

my electricity bill is in excess of 20,000 baht per month and we do not make any charge for electric to our customers .

Guest henkes

So why don't they use solar power for heating the water instead of those silly electric boilers, I know you need extra pipes fitted, but think it will pay itself back in the long run, you see the fuckers everywhere in Greece for example, and what about the price of solar-cells in Thailand, know they're fucking expensive over here. :clueless

Heh thanks guys really appreciate your help with this.

The outcome, well, after a few e mails the hotel in question came down to 8.5bht a unit from the original 15bht a unit.

Just goes to show anything can be bargained for in los.

Thanks again

Longy

Just got my bill in (Direct from Electric company) and it seems about the same as the period last year after checking an old bill from 11 months ago.

With standing charge, units used and tax, it works out this month at 3.44 baht per unit. (Or 2.48 per unit excluding standing charge and tax.)

I live about 4K outside Pattaya, so maybe it’s a bit cheaper the other side of Sukhumvit.

Also the unit rate goes up slightly depending on how many units consumed a month. The more units used, the higher the cost.

Mike.

I pay 5bht a unit but for some reason (probably air conditioning unit) this months bill was huge. Providing you can go easy on the air-con then you should be only be around 3000bht per month@ 5bht a unit.

Of course if you can life without the air-con then i reckon you could be as low as 700bht

Just got my bill in (Direct from Electric company) and it seems about the same as the period last year after checking an old bill from 11 months ago.

With standing charge, units used and tax, it works out this month at 3.44 baht per unit. (Or 2.48 per unit excluding standing charge and tax.)

I live about 4K outside Pattaya, so maybe it’s a bit cheaper the other side of Sukhumvit.

Also the unit rate goes up slightly depending on how many units consumed a month. The more units used, the higher the cost.

Mike.

maybe a difference between commercial property rates and domestic rates?

i ll need to check my rate in my house.

Mike.

I think that's the same as I'm paying in View Talay 2.

The most expensive item is your aircon so I use mine as sparingly as possible. Fortunately, the person who fitted out my bedroom had the good sense to fit a ceiling fan rather than aircon. The fan runs all night and my electric bill for the bedroom/bathroom tends to be around 240/250 baht, which tells me that the ceiling fan costs less than 1 baht per hour to run. The bill for the living room is quite a bit higher thanks to the television and the laptop being on for far longer than is good for me. :clap1

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

My electricity bill is a little below 3 baht/unit. For my 62 sqm condo, I pay usually 270 - 320 Baht a month. Haven't used the aircon for almost a year (till 30 celsius I can do with fan only), and discovered the frigging thing's broken in the horribly hot days after Songkran. My landlord was in Rome or so, and no one could fix it. Thank God it started to rain and got somewhat cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
Wouldn't they be makeing a shit load of cash out of it themselves.

Longy,

Yes I think they do! :bigsmile:

I pay 8 Bht / unit. I think the real cost is about 5 / unit.

I think I pay around 3 1/2 baht per unit.

I have a double room with a ceiling fan in the bedroom. This is on all night from when I go to bed until I get up in the morning and costs a bit under 1 baht an hour to run.

I use the aircon in the living room as little as possible so my electric bills are rarely more than 1,000 baht per month. Usually, they are quite a bit less than this.

Alan