Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Monthly rent a studio 5000 baht range

With electric at cost being Bt3.5 baht or thereabouts and a studio condo running bills of about Bt1500 or so, then a near doubling of the electric charge is going to add another Bt1000 at least. In hot weather or with an older a/c unit, work on 3k or so for electric. With 6k for rent and 3k rip off, you are well out of pocket and could easily stay in something nice in Jomtien for that price.

The trade off is quality / location / price for sure. My advice is this. Given that you are obviously on a budget, you cannot afford to hit the bars and go-gos every night. Thus, if you live in a shithole, you will be forced to go out. If you have a nice place to live, you are happy to stay in, especially if you have a DVD and some cable TV.

I'd go for somewhere in Jomtien, either in one of the View Talay places (doubt you'll get VT2 on short lease) but there are other places around. You get everything you need onsite including pool and some food options and the beach is near. Town is just a baht bus ride away, you don't need a bike for transport, laundry will be ok.

The main thing is that you will not feel forced out each day. So if you are budgeting 8k and will get ripped for 1-2k on the electric you can pay about 8-10k and you'll save whatever your normal bar spend it without becoming suicidal.

With electric at cost being Bt3.5 baht or thereabouts and a studio condo running bills of about Bt1500 or so, then a near doubling of the electric charge is going to add another Bt1000 at least. In hot weather or with an older a/c unit, work on 3k or so for electric. With 6k for rent and 3k rip off, you are well out of pocket and could easily stay in something nice in Jomtien for that price.

The trade off is quality / location / price for sure. My advice is this. Given that you are obviously on a budget, you cannot afford to hit the bars and go-gos every night. Thus, if you live in a shithole, you will be forced to go out. If you have a nice place to live, you are happy to stay in, especially if you have a DVD and some cable TV.

I'd go for somewhere in Jomtien, either in one of the View Talay places (doubt you'll get VT2 on short lease) but there are other places around. You get everything you need onsite including pool and some food options and the beach is near. Town is just a baht bus ride away, you don't need a bike for transport, laundry will be ok.

The main thing is that you will not feel forced out each day. So if you are budgeting 8k and will get ripped for 1-2k on the electric you can pay about 8-10k and you'll save whatever your normal bar spend it without becoming suicidal.

Maybe he's conserving on his lodging cost so that he can go out and enjoy the pleasures of Pattaya every day. I know I wouldn't want to be wasting even 1 night of a 30 day trip sitting in my room watching a DVD unless it was with a BG.

Electric costs will vary for everyone. For the past 1 1/2 years I've lived in a small 1 bedroom (55 sq mtrs)with TGF and during that time my combined water and electric ( 6 baht a unit) has averaged 1000 baht a month. That's with cooking meals in the room, me taking numerous showers a day and her doing about 4 loads of wash a week. Staying in Jomtien will require a baht bus ride like you said so one must factor those costs in for not only himself but any BGs he's bringing back. A couple trips a day could easily add up, where if he stays in centeral Pattaya and doesn't mind walking baht bus fees will be low.

Edited by Emil
Maybe he's conserving on his lodging cost so that he can go out and enjoy the pleasures of Pattaya every day. I know I wouldn't want to be wasting even 1 night of a 30 day trip sitting in my room watching a DVD unless it was with a BG.

Electric costs will vary for everyone. For the past 1 1/2 years I've lived in a small 1 bedroom (55 sq mtrs)with TGF and during that time my combined water and electric ( 6 baht a unit) has averaged 1000 baht a month. That's with cooking meals in the room, me taking numerous showers a day and her doing about 4 loads of wash a week. Staying in Jomtien will require a baht bus ride like you said so one must factor those costs in for not only himself but any BGs he's bringing back. A couple trips a day could easily add up, where if he stays in centeral Pattaya and doesn't mind walking baht bus fees will be low.

Saving money for shagging ? Sure if he said he previously stayed in Bt1000/1500 a day places and now wanted somewhere cheaper for the month but when you get to 5k a month the next step down is the beach ! I know girls who live in more expensive accommodation than that.

If you were paying 1k a month at Bt6 a unit then you were not using the aircon much.

Baht buses are small change though I admit it all adds up. Most people though know they will use some wherever they live so not really an issue.

Economising is buying some food and booze and having it at home. If you have a really shit place you cannot and you don't want to so you are forced to go out. It is a false economy.

I also guess that someone on such a low accommodation budget is not into multiple go-go girls each night so at the other end of the spectrum there will be nights off or there will be a regular who maybe takes a weekly rate and the OP dabbles ST if funds allow.

Just not many, if any, decent places at 5k a month.

after careful consideration i have decided to pay a bit more & will be staying @ canterbury tales cafe, soi chaiyapoon. The room works out @ £170 a month, without leccy.

just wanted to see if any hidden gems were out there for less, but i`m happy with my overall choice. Stayed at PBR over xmas (1399 baht p/n) so know the area well, oasis agogo on my doorstep, plus Soi LK Metro close by which has some cheap bars..

My budget doesn`t allow me to go on a mad one every nite, so the long term BF may be an option as torrenova alluded to.. Anyways match of the day is on now, it sure is shit being stuck in liverpool !!

Nice one lads

Sanuk Scouser.

• 5 weeks later...