Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Laptop Security & Broadband

I will be bringing my laptop to Pattaya in the New Year and was wondering about two things.

Does anyone have any recommendations/ideas about what to do with the laptop if the hotel safe isn't large enough. There are various laptop security cables available. Are they any good?

Getting broadband access in Pattaya, I have heard and read here, is very hit and miss. Could anyone point me in the right direction. Would a laptop connection at an internet cafe be advisable? For a long term stay, are there any wireless points in Pattaya or ISP's who provide ADSL in Pattaya or its' surrounds.

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I always carry my laptop with me and leave it in hotel rooms.  I've never had it stolen in Thailand (Italy is another story) and I have stayed at a lot of hotels.

Broadband access in Pattaya is limited.  A small area around Beach Rd does have DSL but it is a very small area.  For the rest of town the best choice is satellite which gives you 256k down and 56k up.

CSLoxinfo provide the satellite service and they have an office in Pattaya at Third Rd.

Don't live in the LOS so am unfamiliar with their broadband options.

I always bring my laptop when I visit the LOS.  I also leave it out in the open in my hotel rooms.  I still have it so I guess it's fairly safe.

Cable locks for laptops are pretty cheap.  You can even get ones with alarms.  They wont prevent someone who is determined but they will prevent a runner and you would be left with some evidence to show the hotel/police.

-Vox

Well living in Italy I should be an expert about stolen computers ;D

..I never had this problem in LOS, but as the going says there's always a fist time....

Besides, in Residence Garden the safe is big enough to accomodate a laptop... 8)

Audax

I usually stay at the Residence garden & the safes are fine for 15 inch laptops.

I often have an security cable or alarm with me but have not used at the RG as I find security is good ( & I often forget to lock it when I'm out )

My data is more important that the machine itself,I always back up before I go travelling & my machine is protected with a Biometric device just in case.