Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

best place to come for 1st trip ???

Stick with the Taxi Meter of which there are thousands strangely identified with a sign on the roof saying Taxi Meter and you will be fine.

If your really worried then Thai Limousine which has a counter at the airport are very reputable and will drive you around in a nice Mercedea Benz .

Trains to Pattaya are not really an option.

I took my 1st trip to LOS last October and headed straight for Pattaya and I advise anyone to do the same . I have just returned from my 2nd trip and this time I spent 2 weeks in Pattaya , 6 days in Cambodia and 3 days in Bangkok . The time in Cambodia and Bangkok reinforces my opinion that Pattaya is the best place for the 1st trip . Cambodia is great and cheaper but not for the faint hearted and you could easily get ripped off . In Bangkok the girls are generally more in your face than Pattaya and pressurise you to buy ladydrinks and BF them before you get a chance to know them plus it is more expensive .

As for taxis I have always used Thai limos . For 1500 baht they take you from the airport to your hotel in Pattaya in a comfortable air - con mercedes in less than 2 hours . You have to pay the toll fares ( 150 baht ) if you want them to take the expressway - recommended as the other road can get very busy .

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at this from a slightly different angle, I'm wondering what is the minimum time you would recommend for a trip to Pattaya. Please keep in mind, that while I have a fixed amount of vacation time, I can trade workdays with my fellow slaves so I can extend it.

I am an airline employee so while my travel expenses are limited, so are my options for bringing a lot of baggage. Where in Pattaya can I buy the basic essentials such as toiletries, underwear, socks, t-shirts (plain ones), etc. My thinking is that I'll buy it there, wear it and leave it behind. This is really best for those times I'm sprinting for a flight.

Also I will be bringing a cell phone with me (this is easier than explaining a trip to thailand by myself) and I am wondering if i need to bring a step down transformer with adapters. I know the power supply says 110-240, but I really can't afford to cook the phone or ac adapter.

Thanks for any help you provide. I'm really looking forward to being a MAN in Pattaya...whatever the heck that means.

SF_Knight  8)

Toiletries, Socks, Underwear and the like can be bought everywhere ..... You don't need to search for them, they find you!

What the Cell phone is concerned: Thailand has 220 Volts, the Sockets are usually good for european as well as american prongs, so don't worry. As long as the loader says 110 - 2240 V, you are on the safe side, forget the transformer!

Just one thing: I guesst you are from the USA, SF_KNIGHT. Make sure your Cell phone is on the GSM System with either 900 or 1800 MHz, otherwise it won't work in LOS at all! That said, most GSM Systems in the States work on the 1900 Frequency, but most Cellphones I know of have 2 (or 3) Frequency ranges; some of them have to be cahnged manually, so check with your manual while at home! Also check with your GSM Provider at home and meke sure that they have Roaming Partner in Thailand as well as your CONTRACT ALLOWS FOR INTERNATIONAL ROAMING!

If not, you can buy a Thai GSM Prepaid Card, but you cannot be reached under your home number then!

Hope that  helps, and have fun!

Sunny