Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Phillippine Peso's for sale

Some of you might have seen my thread re cancelling a trip to AC.

Just a final point. I realise that I would haave enjoyed the trip but the time has passed and maybe I will give it a try next year.

I do however have 17000 peso and I can either take them home for a small loss or offer them to anyone in Pattaya considering a trip. Here is what I think they are worth.

Nearly every exchange is offering to sell you 1000 peso from 790/800 baht. I am prepared to accept 700. On the 17000 this will be a saving of between 1600 and 1700 baht. PM me if you are interested and I will arrange a time to meet and exchange

Thats sounds like a fair deal but remember, its illegal to bring more than 10,000 pesos into or out of the country and its honestly not worth the risk being caught.

Why not just exchange them at a money changer?

cheers

Rodney

Thats sounds like a fair deal but remember, its illegal to bring more than 10,000 pesos into or out of the country and its honestly not worth the risk being caught.

Why not just exchange them at a money changer?

cheers

Rodney

Simple reason is that the bank buy rate in Pattaya is about 510 to the 1000 and I can do better than this at home.

Teelack speak to Alex in Rockhouse he goes a lot, or wait a week I have a mate over there no he getc back on Sat he wil but them goes 7 or 8 times a year.

Teelack speak to Alex in Rockhouse he goes a lot, or wait a week I have a mate over there no he getc back on Sat he wil but them goes 7 or 8 times a year.

I heard that Alex was in hospital. Anyone know if he is out and about yet?

Anyone ever been pulled over for carrying more than the limit, in whatever country/currency? I think you can usually carry more than the limit as long as you report it ('not sure about the PI specifically). So is that much of a hassle? Does it mean being pulled in to "secondary"? 'Seems like people making trips of extended lengths or who just don't like using credit cards overseas have perfectly good reason 'Might help to carry withdrawal receipts from your bank.

Anyone ever been pulled over for carrying more than the limit, in whatever country/currency? I think you can usually carry more than the limit as long as you report it ('not sure about the PI specifically). So is that much of a hassle? Does it mean being pulled in to "secondary"? 'Seems like people making trips of extended lengths or who just don't like using credit cards overseas have perfectly good reason 'Might help to carry withdrawal receipts from your bank.

You are correct I think, as long as you report it on the wee card they give you on the plane you will be ok. Done it myself a few times myself flying from Uk to Phils.

You are correct I think, as long as you report it on the wee card they give you on the plane you will be ok. Done it myself a few times myself flying from Uk to Phils.

How about on the way out of the country? I think I read something somewhere here on PT just the other day about somebody who got tagged somewhere with actually much LESS than the reportable amount: the conveyor/x-ray operator apparently saw it. The guy hadn't violated any laws, but they pulled him in for questioning anyway. "Bulk currency smuggling" is apparently a much bigger deal than I ever realized, but 10,000PHP (not even USD250) seems like a ridiculously small amount. India is pretty strict about it - 'don't think you're allowed to carry ANY of their currency out of the country.

In the future guys anybody that needs to change pesos to baht at a favorable rate comparable to the published rate, please PM me as I go back and forth like a ping pong ball. The money changers in Pats really try to screw you with Pesos, don't ever try to change them with those slags. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

How about on the way out of the country? I think I read something somewhere here on PT just the other day about somebody who got tagged somewhere with actually much LESS than the reportable amount: the conveyor/x-ray operator apparently saw it. The guy hadn't violated any laws, but they pulled him in for questioning anyway. "Bulk currency smuggling" is apparently a much bigger deal than I ever realized, but 10,000PHP (not even USD250) seems like a ridiculously small amount. India is pretty strict about it - 'don't think you're allowed to carry ANY of their currency out of the country.

I was once stopped with about 120,000 pesos.. I was leaving out of Manila to return back in about 2 weeks time. They saw the cash and simply made me go and exchange it. I had a copy of my return ticket with me, so I guess that helped..

That was the only time it's ever happened to me even though I always carry excess pesos and baht with me.

The time they saw it, it was in a separate envelope which made it stick out like a sore thumb..all the other times, I just keep it lumped together with other paperwork, so it does not show up as easily.. I also keep it folded both in half and thirds so it is all irregular shapes that are visible on the scan..since the time I got stopped, I have been loads more times and never stopped again for that specific reason

• Upvote 1

As a post script to my non Philippine adventure. I found out when I got home that Tiger Air had credited my entire fare within a week of me asking for a refund. My reason to them was that because my return leg had a changed time I would be unable to connect with an international flight and therefore had to cancel my entire trip. This was a good result for me and rather unexpected.