Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Changing Return Flights

The detail of this post is based on travel from UK.

Given the chance of a few more days in paradise we've all probably, at some time or another, thought about changing our return flights.  

Depending on your ticket restrictions, the ability/cost of doing so varies considerably.  For example, travelling from UK in November the following charges apply to amending your return date after you have arrived in LOS (based on cheapest fares currently available):

No charge - BA/Qantas, China Airlines, Air France, Lufthansa, Malaysian, Singapore.

£25 - Emirates.

£30 - Cathay.

£50 - Austrian/SAS.

£75 - KLM

On request - Garuda.

Not allowed - EVA

Should you wish to check ticket restrictions when planning your trip use the excellent Flight Search facility at www.airline-network.co.uk and click on the Info icon once your chosen flight comes up.  In my experience this is the most accurate and reliable Flight Search facility of any of the major agents and provides a good starting point for assessing your options prior to booking with your preferred agent.

Hope this is of some help.

I am surprised that British airways do not charge a fee to change your flight. They usually have all the bases covered when it comes to ripping people off.  My next trip I'll be flying with Eva, so I guess I know when I'm coming home.    :'(

KC

I was surprised by EVA's conditions.  I normally travel with them and you were always (as late as Dec 2001) able to change the return for no cost.  It was when booking my flights for November that I came across the "no change" condition and that prompted me to look at the other airlines.

As for BA, I agree with you.  I would think that they would make it difficult (limited availability within booking classes etc) for you to change but would allow you to change booking classes within economy; for a fee of course.  I would never travel long-haul with them anyway because of the crappy seat pitch in economy and the extortionate price of their premium economy service.  Besides that, I prefer the flight attendants to be aesthetically pleasing rather than looking like my granny after a hard night on the piss!

Tom.

Tom,

It depends on the type of ticket you have with EVA as to whether you can change your return date. The cheapest deals sold through consolidators are as you say unchangeable but you can get changeable and indeed open ended return tickets at a (Very High) price.

Stevoh.

Stevoh,

Where you been hiding?  I thought you were in LOS at the moment.    ::)

The point of the post was to prompt people to be aware of what they are actually purchasing, particularly when booking by phone.  As you know, the agents at Travelbag/Trailfinders or wherever have a habit of ommiting to tell you the conditions attached to your ticket nor is their any indication on the ticket of cancellation/amendment charges.

BTW EVA has reverted to docking at Terminal 2 so immigration is a breeze from the Saturday night flights (then had to wait 30 mins for my bags.....mai pen rai!)

Take care and keep your good info coming.

Tom

Can add Thai Airways to your list Tom. Changing return date is free of charge with them.

As to travel agents not telling the ticket conditions, I think you could extend the couple of names you mentioned to most agents.

Besides that, I prefer the flight attendants to be aesthetically pleasing rather than looking like my granny after a hard night on the piss!

Tom.

I agree with you Tom, it certainly gets you in the mood for the pleasures that await you, and helps pass the time too. Only travelled on BA once, and some of the flight attendants would have looked better with bags on their heads. As you can tell I am definately biased towards Asian women. I  wonder why?      ::)

KC

Ever wondered why BA don't have one of those cardboard cut-outs outside their business class lounges?  ???

Personally, I would much rather fly with a crew of Thai/Malaysian/Singaporean cut-outs than with the load of grannies and mincers that I have been unfortunate enough to encounter with BA.  :-[

On the subject of BA, the in-flight scoff offered on the internal routes consists of bread and water tastefully presented in a white paper bag.  Must have recruited their chef from Aeroflot I think!

On the subject of BA, the in-flight scoff offered on the internal routes consists of bread and water tastefully presented in a white paper bag.  Must have recruited their chef from Aeroflot I think!

Hey,That's one way I know i'm back in the UK.

Regards,

Andy.

PS I'll be there in two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked with EVA and my Evergreen ticket alows changing the return date within 6 months subject to availability  ;D

Paul,

Thanks for your post.

There are 3 fares available in Evergreen Deluxe between 15 June and 15 August.(although any, or all of them, may be sold out on any given flight).  The cheapest fare (£115 less than what you paid for your ticket) does not allow for changes to the return journey after departure.

Stevoh emphasised the point that you can purchase tickets with less onerous restrictions but you will pay for that facility.

Please post your opinions on your return of the current service on EVA as it appears to be the preferred method of travel for many of the UK-based Boardies.

Have a great time..............  8)

Regards,

Tom

Hi Cheshire - thanks for the comments

BTW I am one of the Macc Lads (not a band member, just come form there - this won't mean anything to anyone not familiar with Cheshire although I now spend my UK time in Manchester)

As for EVA - when I booked I specifically wanted the more flexible ticket and I agree that this is a very important consideration when booking, not just to get the cheapest.

When I go in July, if things go well I will be staying beyond the initial 30 days I have planned so I wanted the flexibility.

I am also going to the embassy at Liverpool later this week to try to get a 60 day visa so I will also report on this.  Anyone had any experience of this?

Paul

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh the Macc Lads . The group who came up with such classics as ' Beer & Sex & Chips & Gravy' and 'Spread Your Legs And Get Your Knickers Down' . I had a mate in college from Durham who was an avid fan of them . Surprisingly no-one here in Ireland had heard of them until I came home with a tape  ;) .

Derek