Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Restaurant La Cuisine Au Beurre Beside TukCom

IMG_0052.jpg

La Cuisine Au Beurre is a French restaurant on the west side of TukCom, on the same street as La Pettite Planete. LCAB is larger and its interior design is a bit fancier, but both restaurants serve traditional French cuisine and feature three-course fixed menus.

IMG_0051a.jpg

A friend and I choose the fixed menu at 360 baht including coffee or tea. He took the mixed salad as his starter ...

IMG_0033.jpg

while I had what the menu called "pastry with mushroom."

IMG_0035.jpg

He had no complaints about his salad, but the pastry I got was badly overcooked, even burned on the bottom. I should have sent it back, but in my experience, that's not a good idea if there is no farang manager or owner on site. The mushroom sauce was good, although canned mushrooms had been used.

IMG_0038.jpg

He picked the pork stew with fried potatoes and boiled vegetables as his main course. He liked the stew a lot; he said he wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

I went with the shrimp Provencal as my main dish. I was surprised it came with the same boiled vegetables and choice of potato (French fries or pan-fried) as my friend had with the pork stew. I asked if I could substitute rice for potato, but that wasn't possible. I just skipped the potato and ate the shrimp Provencal with a couple of slices of bread from the complimentary basket.

IMG_0042.jpg

I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the sauce used on the shrimp. It was too heavily tomato and not acid or garlicky enough to be Provencal. The shrimp were good, though.

IMG_0046.jpg

My friend had the creme caramel for dessert and thought it delicious.

IMG_0047.jpg

I had the peach Melba which was OK but not great. Peach Melba should be served with raspberry sauce, not a drizzle of commercial chocolate sauce.

IMG_0049.jpg

My friend and I had very different opinions about our meal at LCAB. He thought all three of his courses were excellent, while I considered my starter to be a flop and the other two courses mediocre. I should add that both of us regarded the service as fast and friendly. I thought it a bit odd I couldn't switch out potato for rice with a dish like shrimp Provencal, but a lot of restaurants have strict policies about substitutions on fixed menus.

Bottom line: I won't be rushing back, but I will give La Cuisine Au Beurre another chance.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 4