Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is France next Germany, football-wise?

Its Portugals backyard. They also had longer rest before the finals. Not to mention they are on the roll, playing better for every match. Scholari finally have a working team as well after benching a couple of former has beens and convincing Figo to run.

Every singe factor is in Portugals favor so I fully believe Greece will become the new champions. :D

Sved,

you were right - they took it... :D

Greece-Portugal 1:0, Charisteas, 57. min.

Yes!!!

Tonight there is going to be one big party in Greece, Germany (many Greeks) and (yes, it bewildered me, too) Australia. :D B)

Waiting for the Aussies to report... :D

B)

Well

What can I say. The Greeks played excellent, they had their gameplan and they stuck to it. They never panicked or lost their nerves. I think its time that we stop telling ourselves they got lucky. After bringing down Portugal twice, drawing against Spain and beating France and Czech its a pretty much well deserved win.

And stop whining about their defence. The reason the old style mano a mano markings (that the greeks used) became obsolete and replaced by the zoning after the 70s was that the football evolved. The offense became less static so it was impossible to keep the mark on a team that used íe 3-5-1-1 because you had to run too much. So in theory all you have to do is run, change postition, and have some kind of cooperation between the midfield and fowards. Put a 2 guys on the side that runs all the way like most teams do today, and :chogdee. 20 years of football evolution will show you that "Survival of the fittest" works in the sports too.

But like some swedish guy wrote 11 warriors is more then 4 divas. Or if you may allow me to put in a more familiar context: Its not always your 5000 baht soapmassage girl will deliver more then your 1000 baht (overpaid) beerbar girl. B)

Zidanes salary probably covers the Greek national teams budget, throw in Henry and things get wild.

I saw it like this: the Greeks had/showed, by far, the most team spirit (except for the Latvians, maybe, but they are still too weak).

Never, even for a split-second, did any of them hesitate when it was necessary to help out a team-mate. :nod

They ran until they dropped (but they didn't). :P

I agree with your observations, Sved, as well. B)

Furthermore, they had clearly won the QF, SF and the final game - no penalties shoot-outs. :D

They did play defensively, but they scored in every game.

This, IMO, simply shows that strong will and discipline, paired with perfect organisation (Rehhagel had a vision :D ) go a loooong way...

:P

I thought the Portugal team lost because their players couldn't concentrate or stay focused on the ball. They were constantly looking over their shoulders to see where those Greek boys were.

Emil

Ricardo was terrible for the winning goal. Deco was abysmal, and it was only when Rui Costa came on when Portugal were behind, that any kind of sustained pressure was put on the Greeks. They were deserving winners last night. But outside of Greece the feelgood factor seems muted compared to the Danes triumph in 1992. :D

It's all right for you lot. I now have to listen to my Greek Cypriot mate, who loves a gamble, tell me time and time again, how much he would have won, if only he had the money to bet. It could go on till 2008 !

It's all right for you lot. I now have to listen to my Greek Cypriot mate, who loves a gamble, tell me time and time again, how much he would have won, if only he had the money to bet. It could go on till 2008 !

If the Greeks fail to qualify for the World Cup 2006 in Germany, he should stop by October of 2005... :gone

If the Greeks fail to qualify for the World Cup 2006 in Germany, he should stop by October of 2005... ch)

Youv'e not met him, in 27 years of freindship, he has never been one to pass up an oppotunity to tell you how unlucky he was at the last sporting event- horse racing, football etc.

One night years ago we went to watch our local team Brentford, play Bristol City. I think it was, Bruce Grobbler was the goalie for the opposition then. My mate had bet Brentfored to win 2-1 and was looking good until last 5 mins. Brucie let in 3rd goal ruining his bet. In the local pub after the match the same Bruce was enjoying a pint, I suggested my mate took his betting slip with the 2-1 score on it and get Mr G to write on it -" Sorry about the 3rd goal Serge " But he wouldn't. Should have done it meself I suppose. 1luv

Well considering the last worlds and the Euros this year I belive 2006 will be very interesting.

Sved,

I believe so, too.

Unfortunately, qualifying group for the WC 2006 is:

Sweden

Bulgaria

Croatia

Hungary

Iceland

Malta

Group winner qualifies directly, runner-uo (2nd) has to beat one other group-2nd, similar to the EC 2004 method...

B)