Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

"Water crisis in Pattaya deepens"

These are extracts from a Pattaya city News story today. The link is below.

“The Mayor of Pattaya, Khun Niran, is particularly concerned about this problem which will not be resolved until the rainy season beginsâ€â€¦. “He has now ordered Pattaya’s Fire Trucks to send water to the most needy communities and assures us that the worst affected areas will receive this free water service but it will take some timeâ€.

Having just spent 4 days of Songkran here, I can’t help but wonder at the silliness of all this.

I’m not saying that Songkran alone would ever empty the dams, but you’d have to agree a shitload of H2O does get tossed down the drain in this city alone. Water that is apparently now so precious that the fire brigade has to dole it out, and hotels have to buy it.

Could this nation still celebrate their new year with the traditional ceremonies - and perhaps 1 day of uninhibited water tossing? I think so.

(Can you imagine how weary and bored the Pamplona bulls would get, being asked to run down the streets goring idiots day after day?)

IMHO the modern Songkran is an embarrassment that also kills hundreds of people, and panders to ‘lager lout’ farangs who emerge in their droves to play with water pistols.

I know plenty of fellow members will probably disagree, but I am interested in all views on this.

Cheers Lemons

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_27_04_48_2.htm

I fully and wholreheartedly agree.

Let the Water mandness take over for one day, it would be fine and I personally would definitely like to participate in it. And restore the traditional Songkran ceremonies for the other days.

It is maybe not so much the amount of water wasted, but it might serve as a signal to all that water is a precious commodity which has to be taken care of with respect.

Sunny

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...