Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Purchasing a Motorcycle

My choice is rent @ 3000 baht per month or buy at 40,000 baht new with the option to re-sell at likely 30% less. Does anyone know first-hand if one requires a thai or int'l driver's licence in order to be insured on the road?

I am worrying that my insurance will not cover me if I am not properly licenced. Also, does anyone favor buying new over renting vehicles? I will rent for the 1st month while I consider my options. All input is appreciated.

Here's another suggestion for you. I don't know how reliable the source is but "it's up to you hansum man".

Buy a 2nd hand bike and sell it later. The monthly cost comes down to $30/month instead of the usual $60/month.

Suitcase

If done correctly, a screwdriver in the ignition will get a free bike, then a license plate can be found with the same screwdriver....

Rent the bike later for 100bt a day, with a 1000bt deposit and you are in a lucrative thai business!

I have 2 friends that have bought vehicles in LOS. One a 4 dr colorado the other a Izuzu Xtra cab d-max> neither have thai driver licenses. IN LOS you buy the insurance from the dealor.

Hawk already has gotten in one fender bender and insurnce fixed it no problem. Iwould think the same applies to motorcycles. I have been stopped by thai police like 10 tens. They have never given me any problem about not having a thai or international driver license. Neither have the rental companies either.

So far one fine of 1500 baht for doing 120 by the airport in BKK and another of 200 baht for an illegal lane change in bkk. First one was a rigteous stop but an outrageous fine I just didn't want to hassle with the cop anymore. He was about 6'2 and not in a good mood. The only reason I got the second was car had ""hertz" in big letters on it. :beer 1luv

When it comes to driving a car or motorcycle in a foreign country. I like to be legal. Insurance companies look for any reason not to pay claims and if I get stopped by a cop this cuts out a large area for me to have to pay a bribe. It's not hard to get a Thai drivers license. How long are you staying in LOS?

What usage are you planning around town or criss crossing the country. Around town used works well. No matter what, I'd buy from a dealer and try and get a written buy back. Personally I like new as I know everything is fresh and works well.

when I bought my 125cc suzuki super best the road tax and compulsory third party insurance was paid for at the same time and the dealer arranged this.I also took out a comprehensive policy to cover damage to the bike and paid for that at the same time. twelve months later I went back to the dealer and paid for another twelve months roadtax/insurance. it was not possible to get coverage against damaging the bike from the dealer, I have to arrange thru a local insurance agent.

If you have an international licence covering motorbike it is very easy to get a thai licence from the driving place on route 36. it took me less than an hour to organise

Just my two pennies worth, I've owned many motorcycles in England and have been unfortunate enough to be hit by other cars twice. (People dont look for bikes).

I've had a total of 16 bones broken and 6 major operations. One time was both wrists, both knees, my sternum and a vertebra in my neck. (I couldnt even wipe my own arse!)

Now i'm not sure which hospitals are worse, English or Thai? (English hospitals are incompetent and just plain awful having spent such a large amount of time in them) Thai actually, I think are better at some things. But its other drivers and the driving conditions i'd be even more worried about in thailand.

The last time I hired a bike in LOS I had a few scary experiences with thai drivers and also the fact the tarmac is so dusty, dry and full of holes makes it a totally different experience to england.

I just think in a country that makes it so easy for you to get around cheaply with Baht buses everywhere and the like, why bother with a bike? I dont hire them anymore and cant see myself ever buying one in LOS.

I do have some awesome footage of me doing a wheelie on an R6 down the Sukhamvit road though, bikes are in my blood forever.

Just my thoughts...