Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Wondering if it would be practical to try a day trip from Pattaya to Koh Samet.

Read that some agency at View Talay runs a joiner van for 179bt ..don't know if

it's set up for day trips or if it's open to non guests.

Would there be enough time to go and get a reasonable look around the island and return the same day?

Not knowing my options a joiner van seems best.

Thanks

For a day trip you're better off just going to Ko Larn as you'll spend too much time just getting to Samet.

Ferry to Ko Larn only costs 20 baht each way or you can charter a speed boat.

Join the member's section and do a search, plenty of info and pics. :D

Edited by Dungheap

I agree with Dungheap. You would be in transit for 2 hours each way to get to Ban Phe plus an hour each way on the ferry (unless you hire a speedboat), plus a half hour on a sawngthaw each way to the beach, so you would be in a vehicle for 7 hours. Not really worth it.

While I don't really recommend it as a top pick, it can be done as a day trip and isn't too bad. Malibu runs the whole package thing where they pick you up first thing in the morning, drive to Ban Phe, get on their boat which takes you to the biggest beach on the island, you can have lunch and swim for a few hours and then return just at dark. It's a long day but Koh Samet isn't a very big place. I've been for 3 days also and by the second day, was seriously looking for something to do. On a bigger island like Koh Chang, there are more possibilities but really not much to do on Koh Samet for a long stay.

Cheers

Well, this is my first post on this site. Hello everybody.

I agree that a day trip to Samet would be a hassle. But the beach there is something you should see if you can. The sand is like baby powder and the colour of the water is gorgeous. But it is a trek, to be sure! If I were you, I'd bring along some company and stay the night.

The sand is like baby powder and the colour of the water is gorgeous.

If I were you, I'd bring along some company and stay the night.

Now you've done it!! :drunk

Samet visit goes back on the list :D

Thanks irishman for the Malibu info

Edited by Walt
Now you've done it!! :thumbup

Samet visit goes back on the list :clap2

Thanks irishman for the Malibu info

Walt,

I am going to take a friend to Kho Samet next month for a couple of nights.

I have never been before but I have seen a series of photo's and it looks really lovely.

Definately a place just to chill out with a favourite tg.:rolleyes:

The recommendation is to book the best hotel (i.e. the most expensive) as the others suck! I intend to do that when I get back to Pattaya.

I will post a report with photo's when I get back.

Jambo

ACtually, Jambo, I wouldn't necessarily go for the most expensive places. F'rinstance, the Ao Prau Resort is a great resort (West Coast of SAmet) but has a shite beach.

For me, Hat Sai Kaew -- the beach on the NE coast -- has by far the best sand and sea. But it also has the most package tourists. My ex and I used to stay at the Sai Kaew Beach Resort -- the priciest on that beach at about 2,400 B and up. Pretty basic, but nice rooms and fantastic service.

If you want to avoid the billions of package tourists, you can head a bit south to Ao Phai beach...where you'll then have to put up with the billions of young "travelers" who seem to flock there. Still, the beach is nice, and quieter than Sai Kaew by day, and the only party place on the island by night. I stayed at the Silver Sand last time in one of their newly-built air conditioned rooms -- very nice -- for 1,400 B at peak season.

Looking forward to hearing how it went for you.

ACtually, Jambo, I wouldn't necessarily go for the most expensive places. F'rinstance, the Ao Prau Resort is a great resort (West Coast of SAmet) but has a shite beach.

For me, Hat Sai Kaew -- the beach on the NE coast -- has by far the best sand and sea. But it also has the most package tourists. My ex and I used to stay at the Sai Kaew Beach Resort -- the priciest on that beach at about 2,400 B and up. Pretty basic, but nice rooms and fantastic service.

If you want to avoid the billions of package tourists, you can head a bit south to  Ao Phai beach...where you'll then have to put up with the billions of young "travelers" who seem to flock there. Still, the beach is nice, and quieter than Sai Kaew by day, and the only party place on the island by night. I stayed at the Silver Sand last time in one of their newly-built air conditioned rooms -- very nice -- for 1,400 B at peak season.

Looking forward to hearing how it went for you.

Thanks for those comments - very useful.

Jambo

:rolleyes:

Don't day trip to Koh Samet. Stay at least a night there. It is a really nice island to simply relax on! The mini bus to Koh Samet pier from pattaya is still 150B last I checked a month ago. They pick you up anywhere in Pattaya/Jomtien. Just stop and ask at an agency. prices may vary from agency to agency, but it is probably still the same mini bus.

Koh Samet, I loved it found a place in low season for 500 a night no Aircon, no hot water. beaches are fantastic had one strech to my self, all day. Looked like a few places to find a new friend or two but very limited I would BYOBG. Mesquitos can be really bad at times, bring some repellant.

Not a good day trip from Pattaya, but very nice for an overnight trek.