Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

What is the most effective fighting technique?

"If it has balls, breathes and bleeds, it can be beat" ...... don't reckon i'd fancy taking it on though.

Which brings me to my second favourite quote ........ "there's only two ways to approach a fight, either avoid it or fight hard"

Well said, your avatar though, well, it's hard to look at <grin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Suitcase, but it ain't nonsense. I've been teaching WingTsun for the last 7 years, and the majority of medium-grade students can deliver those 10-12 hard punches per second and sustain this rate of fire for up to half a minute - I should know, I train them to do it. I've tried most of the rest, and this really is a diabolically intelligent fighting art. Favourite attack targets are of course the bits that no man, however big or strong, can harden or cover with muscle/fat: the eyes, throat and wedding present. These attacks can be appallingly destructive, beyond the conception of those who just dabble in the martial sports (not arts). Those chain-punches (as we call them) are by no means the worst of the WingTsun weapons either.

Quote from Martial Arts Online ....

"The vertical punch is the basis for the Wing Chun chain punch - alternate left and right vertical punches thrown in quick succession, resulting in a fast flurry of punches of a few punches per second. The chain punch is simple, effective and difficult to counter.

Wing Chun students are taught that when in doubt as to which technique to use, they should attack with the chain punch. This avoids the "analysis paralysis" that can occur when an overly-trained martial artist gets into an unstructured street fight."

Important phrases for me are ..... "a few punches per second", "simple, effective and difficult to counter" and "when in doubt". As well as one where it said "A weak fast punch that is too fast to be avoided is better than a powerful slow punch that can be dodged or deflected".

Doesn't sound like the indefensible "super attack" that you are claiming, and sorry, but do you realise that you are saying that many of your students can make in excess of 300 hard 'targeted' attacks in one assualt?

No offence ....... but in your dreams. I have no objections against the style, I've seen it demonstrated, it's impressive, but physical limitations and common sense have to be taken into account.

Edited by casper_uk

No offence taken Casper, of course not. Students are trained to develop the stamina for that many punches in that time (e.g. to cope with or discourage multiple attackers), but also to close the distance and use other weapons and footwork if the first ten chain-punches or so haven't done the job on a single adversary, which would be unusual. The rate of fire can certainly be sustained for longer than would normally be considered 'enough' in a serious encounter though.

All this is basically in response to the 'nonsense' remark -but before I discovered WingTsun I would have had the same opinion I suppose. I'm not the dogmatic type, and am old enough to know that nothing is perfect or can be - just offering my own view on the OP's question.

Sorry Bushcraft...still not convinced. I do appreciate you sharing your opinion, knowledge, and experience with us.

I've been exposed to many different styles of martial arts and I've seen some pretty amazing things. I've even accomplished some feats myself that I still find pretty amazing but I have to agree with Casper when he says "physical limitations and common sense have to be taken into account". I am well versed in human anatomy and physiology and that knowledge prevents me from believing your claim.

I am not doubting the effectiveness of your art but simply the number of punches per second.

Peace my friend

Suitcase

Well the guiness book of records has it down that an exponant of Wing Tsun holds the record for the number of consecutive attacks. 700 in one minute.

However, I can find no video of the feat itself. I can find many videos of the 'chain punch' in use though, but I can see no evidence that these attacks are 'hard' or 'accurate'.

Having the physical stamina is one thing, but whilst someone is raining down a hail of semi-targeted, reduced force blows ...... it only takes one 'lucky' punch, firm grapple or accurate sweep as a counter to completely upset the balance.

Like a number of us here, i have seen and trained in many styles and one thing that I have realised is that, in order to see any martial art at it's 'best', it has to be performed against someone who is an experienced practioner of the same martial art.

Two opponants from different styles makes for a very 'scrappy' visual performance that does little to show either style in it's best light. Generally also, the eventual winner is decided by superiority of the 'artist' (rather than the style itself) or simple 'good luck'.

I will be, i'm in the UK still at the moment though.

Spending a few more days here, then a few days in Italy .... then back home to Patts.

Be happy to meet up for a few, two recent shoulder operations means there wont be any 'sparring' though :D

Didn't know you live in Patts. I'll be there from 18th to 29th, staying at Queen Vic and going solo. Didn't mean for sparring (sorry about the shoulders), just for a chat if you fancy.

Not sure of the exact date when I'm back but Soi 6 will certainly be one of my first port of calls ........ lunch in the Queen Vic and a stroll down the Soi sounds good to me!

I'll pm you when I get back into town

No he ain't a women invented it supposedly. :clueless

Definitely correct. A nun named Ng Mui created Wing Chun. It is called the girl fighting style, because the movements are very easily learned and the very first student was a student named Yim Wing Chun, hence the name Wing Chun or Wing Tsun.