Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

800 Baht from Pattaya to the Airport - OK?

I see a lot of sidewalk booths on Second Road advertising 800 baht fare to the airport.

Is this OK? If the vehicle does not show up on time, will the vendor be around? Can the vendor solve the no-show problem and solve it quickly? Any related scam story?

Inside the Lek Hotel lobby, I saw a sign advertising 850 baht to the airport. The counter lady said that it was for the use of a taxi and not a private car. Also, to go by the highway, expressway, or toll road would cost another 165 baht extra. She said that a reservation should be made at least a day in advance.

I will probably utilize the Lek Hotel to book my ride to the airport, because I have little confidence in a sidewalk vendor -- unless someone can make a recommendation.

About a year and half ago, I booked a taxi from Pattaya to Bangkok at a travel agency near Residence Garden, located on the road to Jomtien. A taxi cost about 200 baht less than a personal car. A taxi picked me up and drove a couple of kilometers away, where the company transferred me to a private car. Then the driver of the private car was insistent on taking the toll road, but he said that I would have to pay at least half the tolls. He was insistent that he was not taking his new car on the old road. The good side of this experience is the ride takes half the time of a van and my prior van ride back to Bangkok on an earlier vacation trip refused to take me to my hotel on Sukhumvit, although going to Pattaya, it had picked me up at a hotel on Sukhumvit.

Live and learn.

I see a lot of sidewalk booths on Second Road advertising 800 baht fare to the airport.

Is this OK?  If the vehicle does not show up on time, will the vendor be around?  Can the vendor solve the no-show problem and solve it quickly?  Any related scam story?

Inside the Lek Hotel lobby, I saw a sign advertising 850 baht to the airport.  The counter lady said that it was for the use of a taxi and not a private car.  Also, to go by the highway, expressway, or toll road would cost another 165 baht extra.  She said that a reservation should be made at least a day in advance. 

I will probably utilize the Lek Hotel to book my ride to the airport, because I have little confidence in a sidewalk vendor -- unless someone can make a recommendation.

About a year and half ago, I booked a taxi from Pattaya to Bangkok at a travel agency near Residence Garden, located on the road to Jomtien.  A taxi cost about 200 baht less than a personal car.  A taxi picked me up and drove a couple of kilometers away, where the company transferred me to a private car.  Then the driver of the private car was insistent on taking the toll road, but he said that I would have to pay at least half the tolls.  He was insistent that he was not taking his new car on the old road.  The good side of this experience is the ride takes half the time of a van and my prior van ride back to Bangkok on an earlier vacation trip refused to take me to my hotel on Sukhumvit, although going to Pattaya, it had picked me up at a hotel on Sukhumvit.

Live and learn.

Hi standin ....click on to new driver available,and if your interested email me at catsmad@yahoo.co.uk

lostinspace

Edited by lostinspace

Those offers for 800-850 baht do not include tolls and any other expenses incurred.

You will have to give close to 200 baht for the tolls, plus a tip. By then your coming close to 1300 baht. Also keep in mind usually for this rate they use a metered taxi not a private car. I would guess, they will book a taxi from Bangkok for a return trip from the airport too.

My advice, get a private car, that you reserve. The hotels you stay in are alright, to book through them. There is one thread of the two thai lades on 2nd road where it meets Central road that run a travel agency and offer taxi services. There were two memebers at least that highly recommended them. One of the ladies is named Pat. I do not like taking chances when I have to catch a plane. Old cars, unreliable or unknown drivers, etc, etc. I cannot afford to miss my plane, Take the sure way always less problems.

We saw this type of service on Beach rd,and decided to book it.

Pty to airport was 800 Baht,between two of us,bloody cheap.

We asked it to arrive at our hotel half an hour before we needed it,just in case it didnt show up,then we could make other arrangements.

Arrived on time,brand new Toyota as seen on Beach Rd.

We asked to go via Tollway ,which of course was extra,and we stopped at the refresher stop half way.

All up cost was 1300 Baht including tip and tolls.

NED

P.S,Im pretty sure we saw this service just past TQ1.

G'DAY PLAYMATES

The travel agency that DOT COM is refering to is

wonder tour and travel .. run by PAT & KUNG .....

wonder@chonburi.ksc.co.th ....ph38 428200 i have been using them for many years now ,highly recommend them . mrbill2

Everyone, thanks.

Sounds like all options are good.

Since I tend to be cautious and would like to get on my scheduled flight, I will avoid the little booths and book at a travel agency or hotel and give myself two hours leeway in case of traffic, vehicle breakdown, etc.

Just a little after thought. We used one of the 800BHT taxis... bargained the guy down to 800 bht, and he paid tolls... so they took the non-highway route. Cost us less, but took about an hour longer. Worth it if you have the extra time.

Just a little after thought. We used one of the 800BHT taxis... bargained the guy down to 800 bht, and he paid tolls... so they took the non-highway route. Cost us less, but took about an hour longer. Worth it if you have the extra time.

How do you take an 800 baht taxi and bargain down to 800B? And the tolls are 160 Baht....you like sitting in a taxi for an extra hour to save 160baht? That would mean you are comfortable getting paid $4 US an hour!

How do you take an 800 baht taxi and bargain down to 800B? And the tolls are 160 Baht....you like sitting in a taxi for an extra hour to save 160baht? That would mean you are comfortable getting paid $4 US an hour!

Mmmmm some people will do anything for a few bucks!!!!

Good pickup onmyway

:chogdee2 :thumbup

I have used the stand at the corner of 2nd Road and Soi 13 at least 8 times to go from my Pattaya hotel to a Bangkok hotel. It was 800 baht a while back, but now 850 plus the 160 for tolls. All have been metered taxi that where in Pattaya because of bring someone down from the Bangkok airport or a hotel.

They have been on time every time and have never had a problem. Have always made the reservation the day before I needed the taxi. Gave the guy 350 baht at the time of the reservationg and paid the balance of 500 to the driver after reaching my hotel in Bangkok. Also paid the tolls when going through the toll booths.

IMHO to not pay the tolls to save 160 baht, you need to take a bus and save more.

LeoTex

Just an update. I went to the Eastiny Travel office on Soi 8 and booked a metered taxi for 800 baht and paid the entire amount in advance. The travel lady said that a personal car would cost 1,400 baht and a mini-van would cost 400 baht. Also, the tolls for a metered taxi would run around 150 baht. She estimated a two-hour ride to the airport, but three hours if in a mini-van due to the time needed to go around to the different hotels to pick up other passengers. Also, she suggested adding another half hour to the transit time for traveling on Sunday.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I've used the 800 baht taxi service and have been more then satisfied. I give the driver 200 for the tolls and tip. Since I'm in a licensed taxi, my travel insurance will cover me if I'm involved in an accident on the way.

Could someone explain this one please. I too have used an 850 B.+ tolls taxi Pattaya to Bangkok. Booked one the day before I was leaving and it turned up at my Hotel on time. I had two TGs with me and giving them a lift to the airport. One comes from Bangkok and lived 10 minutes fron the Airport. The other was going home to her family in Surin and was goin to catch the train from the Airport.

When the driver saw there was 3 passengers, he was expecting one, he asked for an additional 300 baht. I queried that saying I was not takin him off the original agreed taxi route(my Hotel to Bangkok Airport). He insisted I had only paid for one Passenger and that I would need to pay an additional 150 B. each for the girls. It was about 6am and I didnt have the energy nor inclination to stand my ground and refuse the extra payment, but I was not best pleased.

Is this common practice? I am sure I was conned. Guess how much of a tip my non gust friendly taxi driver received at the Airport. Yip, you are right a big fat Zero.

Beware if there is more than one passenger be sure to point this out on booking before agreeing your price.

Conley I can only comment on my experiences with limo/taxi services to and from Bangkok airport or hotels to Pattaya. I can say that most taxis or services prefer that you be upfront and declare information such as how many are riding in the taxi. The issue here is 300 baht, a mere pittance to you and I. I know you are right in your defense, but this is Thailand, they do think differently from you and I so they feel compensation is needed for changes in their agreed plan.

Just be grateful he did not leave you in the lurch at 6:00 AM and trying to find a taxi to Bangkok, quickly enough that you miss your flight.

I for one disclose any information needed and thats all there is to it.

Conley I can only comment on my experiences with limo/taxi services to and from Bangkok airport or hotels to Pattaya. I can say that most taxis or services prefer that you be upfront and declare information such as how many are riding in the taxi. The issue here is 300 baht, a mere pittance to you and I. I know you are right in your defense, but this is Thailand, they do think differently from you and I so they feel compensation is needed for changes in their agreed plan.

Just be grateful he did not leave you in the lurch at 6:00 AM and trying to find a taxi to Bangkok, quickly enough that you miss your flight.

I for one disclose any information needed and thats all there is to it.

I didnt disclose there would be 3 people travelling as i didnt think it relevant. If i call a taxi here in Scotland, wether it be to take me for a few beers to the local or to take me 35 miles to Glasgow Airport, nobody asks the number of passengers nor do I ever think of telling them. All people are interested in is the route and the cost.

What was i payin for? A car to take me from Pattaya to Bangkok. The fact that I had two friends with me is not increasing the distance of the journey. All taxi fares are calculated on distance, not on distance + number of people travelling. I was not trying to put one over on the taxi company.

I posted to let you guys know what happened,it is capable of happening again and when booking your taxi make sure to advise the number of people travelling and then ask for confirmation of the fare.

Conley

With all due respect my friend you are not in Scotland,and cannot imagine that you would get this taxi price (even the high 1100 baht = 16 gbp) anywhere in the UK. :beer

I think you are missing the point.

The issue is there may be a few hidden extras when booking the cheap taxis advertised everywhere around Pattaya. Normally I would give a tip for this journey takin the total cost to 1150 B. That is what I paid in this case. So at the end of the day I didnt pay any more or less than expected as the driver had an attitude that was not conduicive to receiving a tip. I have a feeling the 300 b. would end up in his pocket anyway. I cant really imagine him gettin back to his office and sayin " Hey boss, that guy I picked up at the Sabai Inn had two girls with him so I charged him 300 b. There's the money"

I for one think the cost we pay for taxis in Thailand is unbelievebly cheap compared to the UK.

The issue is I agreed and paid a price of 850B. When the driver appeared the next day he insisted on an additional 300B.

I am posting to warn members that if there is more than one pax, then make sure this is made clear before booking and agreeing cost.

Regarding the 800-850 Baht rides to BKK airport - I have found impossible to get this rate for an early morning ride. They count on turn arounds who drop off Bkk to Pattaya passengers and there seem to be no 8AM rides available from Pattaya to BKK.

Also never trust the taxi/car stand salesmne/women who tell you tolls are included in your price. Both times I "went" for this I got limited English speaker drivers who knew nothing about this pre-paid toll deal - even when written on the receipt (which they could not read anyway and which I could not make a big deal over when trying to catch a plane.

But that said - I have never had a ride not show up at my hotel when prebooked from one of the taxi/ride stands.

:clap1

I've used those streetside services many times without a problem. I leave my hotel at 3 AM so that I can be at the airport around 5 AM for my 7 AM flight. The cheapest I've used is the stand across form the Camelot hotel that charges 750 baht. I pay the tolls.

I think you are missing the point.

The issue is there may be a few hidden extras when booking the cheap taxis advertised everywhere around Pattaya.  Normally I would give a tip for this journey takin the total cost to 1150 B. That is what I paid in this case. So at the end of the day I didnt pay any more or less than expected as the driver had an attitude that was not conduicive to receiving a tip. I have a feeling the 300 b. would end up in his pocket anyway. I cant really imagine him gettin back to his office and sayin " Hey boss, that guy I picked up at the Sabai Inn had two girls with him so I charged him 300 b. There's the money"

I for one think the cost we pay for taxis in Thailand is unbelievebly cheap compared to the UK.

The issue is I agreed and paid a price of 850B. When the driver appeared the next day he insisted on an additional 300B.

I am posting to warn members that if there is more than one pax, then make sure this is made clear before booking and agreeing cost.

You exactly right.

The taxi stand screwed you out of 300B to the taxi mafia of Pattaya. The Bangkok taxi driver gets 500B cut no matter what you pay at any of the stands and no matter how many people ride. So instead of the taxi stand pocketing 300B he pocketed 600B.

He took you for a sucker and he succeeded. Next time just reason with him for a minute. In Pattaya all you have to do is make it clear you are not a sucker (like all the other suckers). :) The taxi driver just wants to get back to Bangkok ASAP to continue his work shift.

Edited by bangkapiboy

I've taken one BG to the airport and the price was the same. If the driver had tried to pull this shit, I would have called the phone number on the receipt and asked them to send another car. I always leave more then enough time in case there is a problem.

The last taxi I got to the airport from Pattaya was from opposite Big C by the bars and they quoted 1000 baht including the tolls and wrote expressway included on the receipt. I thought as it is normally 800 baht plus the tolls, it comes close to 1000 so I took it. The driver went on the shit back roads and payed 40 baht in tolls plus he nearly killed us a few times as he was falling asleep at the wheel, God knows how many hours he had worked that day. Apart from that all the other times I have used the kiosks on the street I have had not problems. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :clueless