Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hotel Reservations Online or in Pattaya?

Hi all... does anyone know if you would save money making a reservation online as oppose to making a reservation when I get there. I'm thinking if the price difference is not substantial then I would rather make reservations there instead of online. With that being said, should I just wait and reserve a hotel once I get to Pattaya? What would you do????

Thanks,

-Rich

Depends on the hotel. Some charge walk-ins more, what is called the "rack rate," than those who make an advance reservation. Some do not.

Edited by Samsonite

It very much depends on what contacts you have in Pattaya. Some bars can get good deals with hotels but the hotel walk in rate and is always more expensive than when booking over an internet agency.

By way of example I just spent a night in Bangkok and was quoted THB 2000 by the hotel Manhattan by email and instead booked through Precision where I actually paid THB 1,300 www.precisionreservations.com same room, same breakfasts, plus you get points with Precision ...similar system to airmiles.

The only down side is not all the better value (750 - 1500 THB hotels in Pattaya are covered by Precison).

Check out Pattaya Sports Club membership, some hotels such as Areca lodge give a discount against the room rate if you are a member.

Last year I saved more than the THB700 membership fee on discounts from Areca Lodge

also I like to see the Receptionists face every time I produce the PSC card ...its a bit like playing a trump card at whist ...

From: Hotel Manhattan Bangkok, Thailand [mailto:hotelman@cscoms.com]

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:43 PM

To:

Subject: Re: Check in 7 May check out 8 May

twin room 2000 baht/room/night(compimentary breakfast)

----- Original Message -----

To: reservations@hotelmanhattan.com

Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:18 PM

Subject: Check in 7 May check out 8 May

Please advise price and availability for room for 2 people (double bed) check in Sunday 7 May 2006 – check out 8 May 2006 (no breakfast)

Edited by som nam na
Depends on the hotel. Some charge walk-ins more, what is called the "rack rate," than those who make an advance reservation. Some do not.

:bow absolutely agree, to help you a little further a "rack" rate is your walk in price. Also if you decide to go through Precision Reservations beware, the costs are very hidden if you look at the fine print. The tax's are not included in their prices. Thus the reason it is so cheap. However there are times it still will come out cheaper, you just have to do the math. Best way to tell is email the hotel and talk to them whether the online rate would be the same as the walk in rate. I just did it for Whitehouse Condotel where I'm staying in a few weeks. :cry2

Good point about the taxes. Precison are upfront about it when booking so you have the chance to accept or decline. Even including taxes the rates are still usually competetive.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:06 AM

To:

Subject: Your Hotel Reservation Booking

Dear Mr. XXXX

We hope you enjoyed your stay at the Manhattan Hotel hotel as detailed

below:

------------------------------------------------------------

Booking Details

-------------------------------------------------------------

Booking ID : XXXXX

Customer First Name :

Customer Last Name :

City : Bangkok

Arrival : MAY 07, 2006

Departure : MAY 08, 2006

Hotel : Manhattan Hotel

Room Type : Superior Room (Twin/double)

Number of Rooms : 1

Number of Adults : 2

Number of Children : 0

Floor preference : High

Preferred # of Beds : 1 Bed

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Booking Charges

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Room Charge : Usd 26.00

Tax/Service Charges : Usd 6.00

Booking Value : Usd 32

Rewards Savings : Usd 0.00 (Redeemed Points: 0)

Total Due/Charge to Credit Card : Usd 32.00 (Accrued Points: 800)

*Reward Points accrued will be available on your account 30 days after

departure date

Edited by som nam na

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was not aware of the "rack rate". I will check out www.precisionreservations.com and see what deals they've got going. Anyone here have a "preferred" hotel of their choice?

In addition, how do I know which hotels are GF?

Edited by bane718

I have found that when I visited Pattaya as a tourist, the best deal was to book a room for a day or two, and then walk around and find the best deal and location.

2 years ago, I did this and ended up booking a room at the Diamond Beach off Walking street for 700 Baht with a 2 week stay, including breakfast - Not the rack rate, and this was in November.

I have found that when I visited Pattaya as a tourist, the best deal was to book a room for a day or two, and then walk around and find the best deal and location.

2 years ago, I did this and ended up booking a room at the Diamond Beach off Walking street for 700 Baht with a 2 week stay, including breakfast - Not the rack rate, and this was in November.

I am thinking of doing the few night stay/walk around as an option. It all depends on the replies I receive from other people. I'm also viewing the web site and have found people that have good experiences at Bella Villa Prima. I guess I'll have to continue my research and see what others have to say. I think you're method is a great idea though!!